It's always five o'clock somewhere

Pimpernel Smith

If you were going to pound 4 alcohol units in 10 minutes why not pour four fingers of hard liquor? I never understood the infatuation with downing endless pints unless it was in a pub.
Some people like proletarian lager and when you can burn it off, that beer buzz/being lagered-up is pretty good. But there comes a time when you have to leave that world behind. As we well know.

Had a bottle of the 2014 Semillon from this South African winery:

Bush vines planted in 1942, but on the label on the wine it stated 1932. Nevertheless, a great Semillion, really good, especially after a couple of days in the fridge.

Last edited:

Fwiffo

Supporter
I'm at a bar with a couple - one of whom flew in from somewhere else. One took an Advil before drinking. One is drinking an Advil before sleeping.

Why don't you just develop a tolerance?

Fwiffo

Supporter
Jameson Cold Brew. 30 percent whiskey plus coffee in a bottle. It had the twin effect of getting me wired with weak hard liquor and caffeine.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
Dropbear Dropbear

there's other more complicated drinks out there as well if you feel like getting fancy

Fwiffo

Supporter
Opening a bottle of Dalmore Cigar Malt reserve tonight with an old boss of mine. He brought some cigars into the country to go with it. Never tried this Dalmore before.

Pimpernel Smith

I’m gonna make Caipirinhas tonight.
Make sure you've got some antacids in for the day after.

The guy who invented the Caipirinha was still around and working when I was in Rio. A couple of my colleagues had met him. Cocktails wasn't my scene back then. But he was still working the beach, which is also not my scene then and now.

One night we were in the Garota de Ipanema and we had the MD from the UK over with his ex-air hostess wife. Phenomenal session on Caiprinhas, also phenomenal drinkers, I could hold my drink pretty well, but I stopped at around 3.30am and they carried on all night to 6am. That was a school night as well.

Pimpernel Smith

Was home alone yesterday for dinner, but instead of getting a takeaway vegetarian curry, I was tricked into making my own meal and following the instructions managed to turn it into charcoal in 20 minutes. So it was Domino's vegi pizza with this red which is just right now, not too young as it was last year:

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

Fwiffo

Supporter
It's astounding in Europe people have to resort to Domino's. There has to be a place that sells proper Neapolitan, Roman or Sicilian pizza.

Also I thought he was against high alcohol reds. Or maybe that was high alcohol South American or Australian.

Pimpernel Smith

It's astounding in Europe people have to resort to Domino's. There has to be a place that sells proper Neapolitan, Roman or Sicilian pizza.

Also I thought he was against high alcohol reds. Or maybe that was high alcohol South American or Australian.
It's better than New York Pizza. There are alternatives, but you have to spend a minimum amount to get delivery which is generally €30-35 here. None of that with Domino's plus the eldest has an account with them and you know points make prizes.

In general, I am against cheap and nasty, high alcohol, young New World reds. Particularly Australian ones found in supermarkets. Some of the best wines you will drink are from those Adelaide Hills, only problem is you'll be paying upwards of €40 a bottle here, if you can manage to source.

There's a bit of a buzz about Kumusha wines, the white wines are outstanding and in general South African white wines are excellent. That Cabernet Sauvignon is only €9.00 a bottle which is good value for a wine that is drinkable on the day and the day after. There's generally a catch at that price, if it's drinkable: crap on opening, but good the next day/good on opening, crap the next day.

Any new and interesting rums?
Noticed there's a few new rums about, but I haven't partook this month as I've spent most of my pocket money on the new King Seiko.

Found the new Coca Cola Zero is massively improved on the old one. It really tastes like normal Coke and is good if you want a long drink with your rum.

Fwiffo

Supporter
There's a bit of a buzz about Kumusha wines, the white wines are outstanding and in general South African white wines are excellent. That Cabernet Sauvignon is only €9.00 a bottle which is good value for a wine that is drinkable on the day and the day after. There's generally a catch at that price, if it's drinkable: crap on opening, but good the next day/good on opening, crap the next day.

Okay. Yes. I got your taste spot on. Since coronavirus I tend to just drink the whole bottle so no issues. If I have an early morning the next day I stow a glass away to use for cooking on the weekend.

I always feel a bit guilty about South African with all their water shortages and using what little water they have for their vineyards.

güero

Any new and interesting rums?
I almost finished that Hampden bottle which I opened a few months ago and left at about 2/3. It is A LOT better now, much less sharp and the esters really shine. So maybe I will buy another bottle after all. Some other rums I had samples from and which I liked: Chamarel VSOP Single Estate, very light and fruity. Toucan No 4, very juicy, bit of sweetness, bit of Tequila, Ron Cihuatan, sweet, peppery, needs time/air. Those are probably the next ones I‘ll buy. I think I already mentioned the Barbancourt 15, haven’t opened the bottle yet but really enjoyed the sample. I think (but haven’t checked) all of those are altered, but not to an extent that they become Pyrat or something like that, they still taste like rum!

Pimpernel Smith

Okay. Yes. I got your taste spot on. Since coronavirus I tend to just drink the whole bottle so no issues. If I have an early morning the next day I stow a glass away to use for cooking on the weekend.

I always feel a bit guilty about South African with all their water shortages and using what little water they have for their vineyards.
There's some seriously rich farmland in South Africa and the wine industry is limited to a number of areas of unique oceanic climate conditions. You can drink South African wines with impunity and no guilt.

A full bottle of wine I find too much, especially if you've had a couple of apertifs. Half-a-bottle in general is more than ideal over a meal, you can push it a little bit more, but not much. And if you've already had one bottle and you're opening another - unless you're sharing it - you're definitely going to feel it the next day and that's not good.

These days I see alcohol as a food enhancer and a little bit of loosening the screws at the back of the tongue, the full-on Brits on the piss doesn't work for me anymore.

Arnathor

The Hamiltonian Hung Like a Horse
Supporter
I finished the Barbancourt 8 last month, very enjoyable! A bit different than the usual stuff I get. Currently drinking through Mount Gay XO with the old man.

Kingstonian

It's better than New York Pizza. There are alternatives, but you have to spend a minimum amount to get delivery which is generally €30-35 here. None of that with Domino's plus the eldest has an account with them and you know points make prizes.

In general, I am against cheap and nasty, high alcohol, young New World reds. Particularly Australian ones found in supermarkets. Some of the best wines you will drink are from those Adelaide Hills, only problem is you'll be paying upwards of €40 a bottle here, if you can manage to source.

Noticed there's a few new rums about, but I haven't partook this month as I've spent most of my pocket money on the new King Seiko.

Found the new Coca Cola Zero is massively improved on the old one. It really tastes like normal Coke and is good if you want a long drink with your rum.
I drink cheap Lidl wines. California Merlot was the benchmark, though they have put the price up. Had South African stuff, such as Pinotage, on the weekly specials. A third of a bottle with food suits me. Wine is not something I drink in volume and fortunately I have cheap tastes. All the sophisticated stuff about provenance, structure etc is something I don’t pay much attention to.

Fwiffo

Supporter
There's some seriously rich farmland in South Africa and the wine industry is limited to a number of areas of unique oceanic climate conditions. You can drink South African wines with impunity and no guilt.

A full bottle of wine I find too much, especially if you've had a couple of apertifs. Half-a-bottle in general is more than ideal over a meal, you can push it a little bit more, but not much. And if you've already had one bottle and you're opening another - unless you're sharing it - you're definitely going to feel it the next day and that's not good.

These days I see alcohol as a food enhancer and a little bit of loosening the screws at the back of the tongue, the full-on Brits on the piss doesn't work for me anymore.

Dining in, I just do a bottle of wine on a weekday - no apertif or digestif. On weekends, I'll do whisky or brandy after the wine.

I can do apertif and split a bottle of wine when dining in.

There are still evenings where alcohol is the food and everything else is an enhancer. Bar nuts. But that was pre coronavirus.

Pimpernel Smith

I drink cheap Lidl wines. California Merlot was the benchmark, though they have put the price up. Had South African stuff, such as Pinotage, on the weekly specials. A third of a bottle with food suits me. Wine is not something I drink in volume and fortunately I have cheap tastes. All the sophisticated stuff about provenance, structure etc is something I don’t pay much attention to.
As I've said before, as supermaket wines go, I rate Lidl as amongst the best. You see a Lidl wine for €9.99 you know it's going to be quite good. The buyers clearly know what they are doing.
Dining in, I just do a bottle of wine on a weekday - no apertif or digestif. On weekends, I'll do whisky or brandy after the wine.

I can do apertif and split a bottle of wine when dining in.

There are still evenings where alcohol is the food and everything else is an enhancer. Bar nuts. But that was pre coronavirus.
I find whisky gives me the munchies, so I tend to only have as an aperitif and varely rarely neat these days. After dinner I'll start to want to eat again.

Pimpernel Smith

Rarely neat? Even single malt?
Not these days. Last whisky I really enjoyed was last year at the start of the lockdowns. Tried to repeat it earlier this year and I didn't like it.

I've a couple of bottles of JW Red in for hot toddies if I get a cold over the winter. That's like sandpaper neat.

Pimpernel Smith

Managed to come down with sinusitis over the weekend and I've been hitting the hot toddies big time. A bottle of JW Red already gone and I've moved onto the William Lawson's 13 year old which is a good quality blend for the price. It's not going to last very long as this rate. Hopefully the nasal cleaning will start working soon.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Comiserations. As a non-medical layman I would suggest laying off alcohol though.

Pimpernel Smith

Comiserations. As a non-medical layman I would suggest laying off alcohol though.
Unless you've an adequate Codeine supply in, or the the old Mucron medicine that would dry out sinusitis in about 2 days, the next best thing is constant washing out of the nose with salty water and plenty of hot toddies. None of that is fully working for me at present. A bad case of sinusitis can last several weeks or a good couple of months, that's my fear now, I've past the stage where I can rid quickly.

Fwiffo

Supporter

Couple of things.

If he wanted to go the full monty he should have had a dropper to put a drop or two of distilled/spring water with the whisky.

He's nosing it with his mouth closed. The sense of smell is enhanced by opening your mouth when you breath in.

And I'm not sure how hard core you need to get into tasting whiskey with an e - Irish and American. I find single malt whisky from Scotland has the most variety and depth. If your distillery only makes cheap, standard, and ho ho ho commemorative edition then what's the point.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Unless you've an adequate Codeine supply in, or the the old Mucron medicine that would dry out sinusitis in about 2 days, the next best thing is constant washing out of the nose with salty water and plenty of hot toddies. None of that is fully working for me at present. A bad case of sinusitis can last several weeks or a good couple of months, that's my fear now, I've past the stage where I can rid quickly.

I have liquid codeine. I keep it tucked away as I am rather partial to any opiate.

A few weeks or months reminds me of a lady friend I had who was developing some cough and phlegm so I treated her to alcoholic beverages after work for a week or two and on weekends gave her my codeine. After a few weeks she said it was worsening and she finally checked with a doctor who administered some antibiotics because it was actually a serious infection. At least my treatment plan was more fun. Palliative care.

Pimpernel Smith

And I'm not sure how hard core you need to get into tasting whiskey with an e - Irish and American. I find single malt whisky from Scotland has the most variety and depth. If your distillery only makes cheap, standard, and ho ho ho commemorative edition then what's the point.
Most definitely whisky from Scotland has the most variety and depth, particularly Speyside. I use to like the Lowlands, Highlands and Campbeltown as well Never rated the Islay's other the Laphroaig 15 year old which was Prince Charles favourite dram.

Just got a bottle of Glengoyne 10 year old in famous for the barley being dried in air and not with peat and being distilled in the Highlands, but matured in the Lowlands. Also with another royal connection, it was the Queen Mother's tipple of choice. The Royal Warrant is gone now. It should be light and delicate enough for me.

Noticed Glenlivet has a reasonably priced Caribbean Reserve, bet it's not as good as the Balvenie 14 year old rum finish.

Once again, I noticed many of the standard expression whiskies are similarly priced to what I was paying 10 years ago: Scapa, Jura, Glenfiddich and the Irish whisky Redbreast.

Pimpernel Smith

Johnnie Walker Blonde, first time I've seen it, so bought a bottle. A lot of grain in there in a good way, surprising different to the Red. Super short finish with a horrible phenol ending. But mixed in a hot toddy or with soda, it's pretty good with a grainy drive.

The Red needs to be drunk quick, after a couple of days open it starts to deteriorate fast. I'll see how this goes in the next few days.

Top Bottom