It's always five o'clock somewhere

I went to another home bar last night. It's the lobby bar of a posh hotel so I usually only drink Jameson there to save money. Double on the rocks. There's another regular from the city who drinks the same. Occasionally we sit at the bar together and get feted by the bartenders. Anyway, last night I went I heard he complained the bar ran out of Jameson, "Who's drinking all the Jameson here? I thought it's just fwiffo and me" .

IMG_20191019_1637337.jpg
Old fashioned.

Several pints of Harvey’s bitter and an excellent pub lunch in Lewes.

In The Brewers Arms the women wanted to check on the pub games and with encouragement from the locals had a go at Toad in the Hole - a game that is specific to the town. They have a League. Fiona scored on her second throw. Very good hand eye coordination. The Lewes Arms was too crowded, but they offer even more obscure games.
Last pint in the excellent Gardeners Arms. Toad in the Hall on offer here too, but you would need to move tables to get to the oche. A similar problem occurs nowadays with many dartsboards.

A nice drop of Bonfire Boy straight from the cask - gravity dispense - in the John Harvey pub in Lewes

Was drinking Harvey’s ale all day. Nice to get away from citra hops and grapefruit flavours. The John Harvey has gone up in my estimation as a pub. The upstairs is very nice and civilised.

Weird production of Rigoletto at Glyndebourne. Usual train disruption delay coming back.

I stopped drinking for five days and then did 27oz of wine which I reckon is a bottle and then 2 double ryes.

I was a bit slow after I got into work today.

Did 3 glasses of wine at an alumni dinner and then 3 or 4 more plus some whiskey at the Irish sports bar. Usual bartenders were off so the Asian waitress got upgraded to bartender. The other waitresses thought I was her husband because we were "so comfortable" with each other.

Some of the wines in South Africa, I should have been more diligent in recording the drinking and it was serious drinking, no messing around over there, serious on several fronts:

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

My peer at work is in love with South African wine after his safari trip with his family.

I had 6 glasses of pinot grigio at a home bar yet the Italians only charged me 4. Curious.

Haven't touched alcohol in 5 days and 18oz wine is getting to me. Maybe it's the croissant for breakfast and veg stir fry for dinner.

My peer at work is in love with South African wine after his safari trip with his family.

They tend to be like the Germans, keep the good stuff for themselves. I find a lot of their exported reds overly robust and strong. But I drank exceptional wines both red and white on my trip.

Nicole is retiring. If more people retire then it's just going to be me.

I woke up Sunday and this Chinese bartender/waitress at the Irish sports bar waved at me coming from the subway to work. Plenty of Indian security women winked at me around my block. Then my former landlord screamed my name from half a North American block away and came to talk about Christmas and ask whether I'm up for a drink. If I survive a few years everyone will move on and I'll still be here.

Some good Christmas booze gifts: Chateau Latour 2014 red and white, Glenfiddich 21 year rum finish the latest edition in a mega-fancy box, Johnnie Walker Blue and Cordon Bleu. Opened the Cordon Bleu already and had a bottle each of the wine.

Off to Blighty at the weekend and need to make a decision on what to take. For sure, the wine will be iffy and on the Yellow Tale side. So need to bring my own and make sure they open it. JW is rare in those parts, might take it, or keep it. Might take the Glenfiddich to my sister's, but then again, prefer to keep it for the New Year over here.

Then I need to get some select Dutch gins for my mum's bar, Dutch but in the English style.

Lustau East India sherry under a tenner a bottle. Good with mince pies and Christmas food. Cheaper than Matusalem sherry too.

Sherry’s maiden aunts and vicars image helps keep prices down.

Have some decent vintage ports ready too.

I finished the rest of the Appleton in my office.

I should have followed suit yesterday. I was at dinner with my parents in an argument over the family dentist and an upcoming appointment. He isn't free on the appointed date so I don't know why I need to supply more contact information and negotiate. I told my mother he needs my money so let him work to get the money. Why do I have to work because he is inconveniencing me? If I work he ought to give me a discount so the insurer deposits the discount to my account instead of his. If I am dying of dental pain I'll do the legwork to find him. But if he wants my money he needs to work for it.

Some Graham’s Malvedos Port. Broke the first cork. So had to open a second bottle. I will return to the half cork when I have more time and patience.

My uncle was not impressed with Glengoyne 18 year. Neither was my cousin but the latter is a man who never brings any bottle to Christmas or any other family gathering so he has no say.

My uncle was not impressed with Glengoyne 18 year. Neither was my cousin but the latter is a man who never brings any bottle to Christmas or any other family gathering so he has no say.

I'm a big fan of Glengoyne, along with the deceased Queen Mother. Unique in it's clean dry process of preparing the mash. Pure and sophisticated for the well sussed. Not for peat heads.

My premium whisky took a hammering last night. Couldn't bring myself to serve JW Red neat or with a few ice cubes to the guests. So it was bye-bye JW Blue and most of the 21 year old Glenfiddich. I didn't even get a taste, being on Poseidon gin, some Latour and finally a decent 20 year old tawny, albeit with sugary sherry hints.

Did not overdo it on New Years Eve. A pint of Oakhams Black Hole Porter in the afternoon and some Taylor’s Vargellas Port during the evening.

I'm a big fan of Glengoyne, along with the deceased Queen Mother. Unique in it's clean dry process of preparing the mash. Pure and sophisticated for the well sussed. Not for peat heads.

My premium whisky took a hammering last night. Couldn't bring myself to serve JW Red neat or with a few ice cubes to the guests. So it was bye-bye JW Blue and most of the 21 year old Glenfiddich. I didn't even get a taste, being on Poseidon gin, some Latour and finally a decent 20 year old tawny, albeit with sugary sherry hints.

I always have a cheap bottle of whisky. Bushmills or Jameson so people can piss that away if they want. I went back to my aunt's place for another holiday dinner. I left Christmas dinner early to attend my last party so I left the bottle on the table with my uncle and my cousins. For people who were moaning about how there wasn't anything special with Glengoyne 18, they sure took to it. Half the bottle was gone in one night.

Did not overdo it on New Years Eve. A pint of Oakhams Black Hole Porter in the afternoon and some Taylor’s Vargellas Port during the evening.

I had four double Johnnie Walker Black with one rock and three fingers of Courvousier. That was on top of two glasses of wine for lunch. By my count that's mild.

Fewer people doing dry January this year. At least in my circle.

You never know what to think when a bar starts ordering whisky based on what you drink and there's a bottle behind the bar known as "Fwiffo's whisky."

You never know what to think when a bar starts ordering whisky based on what you drink and there's a bottle behind the bar known as "Fwiffo's whisky."

Of course you know what to think. You are channeling Errol Flynn. Now get to a school yard and find yourself another lady friend.

Of course you know what to think. You are channeling Errol Flynn. Now get to a school yard and find yourself another lady friend.

I'm not Australian.

Why is it people like you think I am attracted to women who are half my age? I'm actually more partial to slightly older women like Prince Harry.

I'm not Australian.

Why is it people like you think I am attracted to women who are half my age? I'm actually more partial to slightly older women like Prince Harry.

comparing your livers not your nationalities. And you are not doing yourself any favours dropping “like Prince Harry” in any sentence.

so now you are saying you are a sacless wanker without a mind of his own?

You do grow out of that. When you're 21 a woman of the world of say 28-31 is very enticing. When you get to my age older women are likely menopausal, frigid, or losing looks fast. There are notable exceptions of course and then there's the effects of ladies going all mumsified after giving birth.

If you get to the stage where you like ladies half your age, then for your own sake, rent it!

Have you ever heard The Dollop episode on Errol Flynn? Worth a listen.

Who would want to be like Errol Flynn, full of syphillis and dead at 50.

comparing your livers not your nationalities. And you are not doing yourself any favours dropping “like Prince Harry” in any sentence.

Prince Harry, now there's a weak specimen destined for utter humiliation before the Gods. Others have made similar mistakes, Paul McCartney, but with Macca it could be excused for he was temporarily overcome of his senses in grief and beguiled by a dangerous woman.

With Harry this ain't no grieving widower, or a broken divorcee looking for his second chances, there really is no excuse other than half-wittedness.

Why are you so cantankerous these days? At least to me. I have no interest leading the good Catholic life and having five kids because I don't use birth control.

You do grow out of that. When you're 21 a woman of the world of say 28-31 is very enticing. When you get to my age older women are likely menopausal, frigid, or losing looks fast. There are notable exceptions of course and then there's the effects of ladies going all mumsified after giving birth.

If you get to the stage where you like ladies half your age, then for your own sake, rent it!

That sounds bleak and depressing. Middle age must be devastating.

its fascinating how much of a creep he was

His wicked, wicked ways were all there in his autobiography. The gun running and slaving young flesh in Papua New Guinea. A lot of myth with Flynn though, especially how he wasn't drafted into any of the armed forces. He wasn't fit enough.

Like with Burton, with a back and spinal injury, he was self-medicating as well with his copious amounts of booze and drugs.

That sounds bleak and depressing. Middle age must be devastating.

It creeps up on you out of nowhere. Elvis Costello wrote 45 about it. And then suddenly your next birthday is 49 in a flash.

It's not devastating, as if you've made the right moves, you've traveled and built assets and a career. But you get your kicks in other places. Drinking in bars and pubs, no thanks. Fancy restaurants, yes please.

I don't miss the angst earnestness of youth.

Last edited:
Spoons. Haggis , neeps and tatties. Burns night promotion. Choice of drink with the deal now includes Glenmorangie. Pretty good. Vegetables were fine and haggis not too bad either. Also had a pint or two of Oakhams Green Devil at 6%. Lovely stuff. Local Spoon are very good with Oakham and Surrey Hills ales and cannot be bothered to charge more for stronger beers as they keep the locals happy.

Benny and hot. Nice Winter warmer with a medicinal reputation.

Burnley miners club are the world’s biggest consumers of this.

Somehow I can do frangelico but not Benedictine neat.

Nice. A local bar, claims that they sell the most Chartreuse world wide. 1900 bottles a couple of years ago.

Benny and hot. Nice Winter warmer with a medicinal reputation.

Burnley miners club are the world’s biggest consumers of this.

A nice story. I thought some fans of a Scottish fitball team were big into it as well?
Somehow I can do frangelico but not Benedictine neat.

Frangelico is pretty mellow after a meal.

Nice. A local bar, claims that they sell the most Chartreuse world wide. 1900 bottles a couple of years ago.

The thinking man's liqueur.

My watering hole in the village where I work labeled my whisky after my name. People punch in my name at the till when I order from my bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom