It's always five o'clock somewhere

It's Father's Day. I finished 3/4 of a bottle of pinot grigio and 1/3 bottle of auchotonshen American Oak. Mum says upon me strolling in at noon that I reek of booze.

Hope this beef brisket I am making masks some of it.

I realised the last time I was f@cked up at a bar was 6th March. I had 5 whiskys and went to a cooking class with my mum. Then I left for a footy game with my mate. Usual 4 glasses of 9oz wine. Then did a sake flight and some other sake at a Japanese place. Then headed to a club and did shots of Johnnie Black for the road.

I realised the last time I was f@cked up at a bar was 6th March. I had 5 whiskys and went to a cooking class with my mum. Then I left for a footy game with my mate. Usual 4 glasses of 9oz wine. Then did a sake flight and some other sake at a Japanese place. Then headed to a club and did shots of Johnnie Black for the road.
man, you have a great life.

man, you have a great life.

On the contrary, the coronavirus has made that life disappear. I should have invested time in a spouse and/or kids so they occupy my time. Sitting at home rolling dice and playing Game of Life or something.

On the contrary, the coronavirus has made that life disappear. I should have invested time in a spouse and/or kids so they occupy my time. Sitting at home rolling dice and playing Game of Life or something.
you've got your family, a good job, a good life. its better than a lot of people have. certainly better than me.

We're here: one for the ages. Have to take what we can out of it, experience of life under lock down. That life will come back, if you want it.

The spouse and kids thing, it's just different. Do you not think we're all fighting for our own space? It's not the answer to everything, until you're married and have the kids stuff, you still think there's a love of a woman will deliver all these things. Love, intense love, cannot exist in a world of the mundane, garden sheds, shopping for food and kids school reports. Then there's the body changes after women have kids. So, think yourself lucky, in a way. As you can still believe that experience is going to deliver you to the promised land.

I Travel. As in the Simple Minds song. As you have. That experience most people don't get. Working in dead end jobs, office or factory jobs. And on the company pay cheque that can be a wonderful time and experience.

The working man's rock 'n roll.

Enjoy, because most people don't have those questions answered. We do. It's a big thing.

you've got your family, a good job, a good life. its better than a lot of people have. certainly better than me.

I live in a capitalist society that reminds me of that Texan saying. I care about what's mine and what's next to mine. Then after you take over what's next to yours, you start coveting the one next over.

And I have a personal fault in that I never value anything that I don't have to bleed sweat and tears for.

But on the whole for someone my age the professional achievement is rare and I don't have any chronic health issues to speak of other than hair loss. So yes, I ought to be thankful.

We're here: one for the ages. Have to take what we can out of it, experience of life under lock down. That life will come back, if you want it.

The spouse and kids thing, it's just different. Do you not think we're all fighting for our own space? It's not the answer to everything, until you're married and have the kids stuff, you still think there's a love of a woman will deliver all these things. Love, intense love, cannot exist in a world of the mundane, garden sheds, shopping for food and kids school reports. Then there's the body changes after women have kids. So, think yourself lucky, in a way. As you can still believe that experience is going to deliver you to the promised land.

I Travel. As in the Simple Minds song. As you have. That experience most people don't get. Working in dead end jobs, office or factory jobs. And on the company pay cheque that can be a wonderful time and experience.

The working man's rock 'n roll.

Enjoy, because most people don't have those questions answered. We do. It's a big thing.

That life will come back? That's the most optimistic I've heard from you about the future since the coronavirus started hitting Milan.

I don't fancy being in domestic marital bliss. I'm just saying those who are blessed (cursed?) with a fully functioning family have something to occupy their time. I have a flat and four walls and then the office. Literally all of my interests have been curtailed. Not looking for intense love. I was in a bit of a relationship before and you need to work at it to co-habit. And I recall your assessment that women grow frigid after 40.

Work travel is divine. Nothing like expensing outrageous meals and drinks and then the adventures of somehow getting back to the hotel for one for the road.

I was in a bit of a relationship before and you need to work at it to co-habit. And I recall your assessment that women grow frigid after 40.

Not all women, some. I was referring to one associate who has an open relationship now, as she's not interested in sex, but he is. The interesting thing there is, she was, well at least a couple of years ago, extremely fit. I would contemplate an affair with her.

Work travel is divine. Nothing like expensing outrageous meals and drinks and then the adventures of somehow getting back to the hotel for one for the road.

Indeed, but most people don't even get a whiff of that.

IMG_20200702_1801294.jpg

First drink at a bar (well, patio) since Italy went into full quarantine in March.

It's 37c outside and I'm still drinking brown but then at this establishment people just pour for me so I don't really get a chance to order.

View attachment 34079

First drink at a bar (well, patio) since Italy went into full quarantine in March.

It's 37c outside and I'm still drinking brown but then at this establishment people just pour for me so I don't really get a chance to order.

Last time I was in a bar was in February, the UK. I was in north east France when it was starting to close down beginning of March, I stayed in the hotel room and didn't eat or leave the room. The hotel bar had an English barman, so I could have a good chat, but even that couldn't get me to leave the hotel room. Next day, I got the hell out before noon.

A colleague of mine was getting out of Paris about the same time, or a couple of days later. It was all going Escape from New York very rapidly.

I must say, I've done some splendid boozing these lock down months. And the most I drank was last week, one night 3/4's of a bottle of gin and half a bottle of wine. I'm usually much better disciplined that that. I've also done some significant pork crackling eating too.

Oh.. Bars have been open like a month here. So I have been out several times. Keep in mind, things was always mostly under control, and we have not seen a rise in cases. Everything closes at 24, big fines on dancing, plenty of space around.

Was at a outdoor concert last weekend with friends. Everyone sitting down on the grass, groups was spaced out with 1m between. Raise a sign to order, and they would come and take your order. No problems.

But ppl do start earlier, and there can be that manic feeling to it. Not total Babylon, but enough that you take notice.

Oh.. Bars have been open like a month here. So I have been out several times. Keep in mind, things was always mostly under control, and we have not seen a rise in cases. Everything closes at 24, big fines on dancing, plenty of space around.

Was at a outdoor concert last weekend with friends. Everyone sitting down on the grass, groups was spaced out with 1m between. Raise a sign to order, and they would come and take your order. No problems.

But ppl do start earlier, and there can be that manic feeling to it. Not total Babylon, but enough that you take notice.

What a shame...

I dined out for the first time since the beginning of March. $370 cheque.

Two bottles of over priced pinot grigio. 3 grappa. 2 espresso. 1 caprese salad. 1 calamari. 1 branzino that sucked. 1 fettucine pescatore that I could make better.

I have to say we outlasted nearly two seatings.

I dined out for the first time since the beginning of March. $370 cheque.

Two bottles of over priced pinot grigio. 3 grappa. 2 espresso. 1 caprese salad. 1 calamari. 1 branzino that sucked. 1 fettucine pescatore that I could make better.

I have to say we outlasted nearly two seatings.
Yes but you sound like a good cook anyway. I can make king prawn Alfredo but use tagliatelle instead of fettuccine. Apparently it’s only a regional naming difference - Rome v Elsewhere.

I never got on with grappa even complimentary offerings in Italy. Worse than schnapps where I can manage to drink obstler.

Yes but you sound like a good cook anyway. I can make king prawn Alfredo but use tagliatelle instead of fettuccine. Apparently it’s only a regional naming difference - Rome v Elsewhere.

I never got on with grappa even complimentary offerings in Italy. Worse than schnapps where I can manage to drink obstler.

The only good booze to come out of Italy is the wine. Their spirits are crap.

Latest pickup:

Rittenhouse Rye, Knob Creek Single Barrel Cask Strength & Lot 40 Rye

Hoping to Pickup Soon:

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Cask Strength

Schnapps is great!

The only good booze to come out of Italy is the wine. Their spirits are crap.

That's because they drink like tarts. But the best cocktail is theirs: negroni.

Latest pickup:

Rittenhouse Rye, Knob Creek Single Barrel Cask Strength & Lot 40 Rye

Hoping to Pickup Soon:

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Cask Strength

Those Jack Daniel single barrels tend to be very good.

No, no, no more schnapps. Last time I was in Munich after a day of drinking with Americas, some Brits and Aussies for beer, I was at the last call of the hotel bar with my Polish and Czech peers. I offered vodka but somehow they said schnapps. The next morning was a struggle.

It was a cheap grappa so went down like tart transparent liquor.

I just think the cooks either had too much stock so they shaved a whole zucchini on my branzino with little to no seasoning. The pasta sauce looked feeble. In general not enough salt and massive portions like they want to clear out the kitchen.

And I have been restricting my portions so my lady friend sharing her massive portion on top of mine was shocking. She remarked we could have ate at my place.

Campari is nice with vermouth and soda water for a nice Summer drink. So that’s two non wine options.

I second campari but I drink it straight with some lemon. Really refreshing. But then I am known to drink straight tonic on my nights off.

Paper bottles? Other than the airplane and hotel miniature bottles aren't all Johnnie Walker bottles made out of glass? Isn't glass 100 percent recyclable?

Indeed it is, especially when you have a well functioning recycle system.
Otoh recycling paper is takes a bit more effort, as you have to seperate the coating film from the paper first. Takes special machinery.

Paper bottles? Other than the airplane and hotel miniature bottles aren't all Johnnie Walker bottles made out of glass? Isn't glass 100 percent recyclable?

More glue sniffing BS and lies from the BBC:

''Making bottles from glass also consumes energy and creates carbon emissions.''
And a paper mill doesn't?

''Diageo's paper whisky bottle, which will be trialled in spring 2021, will be made from wood pulp and will be fully recyclable, the company said.''
As is glass, the benefit of which, you don't have to cut down trees to make wood pulp.

''The idea is that customers would be able to drop them straight into the recycling.''
As you can with glass, but can a heavily saturated paper cartoon with alcohol or perishable goods be used again in recycling?
I dunno' just asking, only kidding, here in the Netherlands they need to go in the non-paper bin.

The only good thing the BBC News has going for it, is that it's a more subtle snake oil salesman compared to the cringe worthy and hard sell of CNN. Both two sides of the same smelly dog turd.

Got the bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select, 47% (not cask strength). Wow, it smells like a woodshop and burns like hell. Need to try it with water.

Kiwis' review:

Last edited:
Just be a man about it.
Adding a couple drops of water opens up the spirit so there is nothing wrong with that.

Currently having the cask strength Knob Creek bourbon and it is very smooth and drinkable at the full 60%.

Adding a couple drops of water opens up the spirit so there is nothing wrong with that.

Currently having the cask strength Knob Creek bourbon and it is very smooth and drinkable at the full 60%.

Opens up something in Scotland. Pre charred American barrels I am not so sure.

I found all those 60 and 67% bourbons wouldn't take water to them for some reason.

I accepted an invite to an industry Zoom happy hour. They sent a bunch of make your own cocktail stuff in the mail so I can drink while I listen to a sales pitch and a bartender gives us instructions. I see a negroni and old fashioned within the mix. Seems to be a healthy amount of gin.

I see a negroni and old fashioned within the mix. Seems to be a healthy amount of gin.

Negroni done right is the aperitif cocktail. Only a Vespa or Death in The Afternoon comes close. It will take exactly where you need to go conversation and good company wise. And if you're in bad or mediocre company, use it as fuel to override the boredom or bad vibes and take the point man lead to the proceedings.

^
Just add a couple of chunks of ice to the whiskey, it'll be fine.

In Manchester last week I dropped into me favourite Gin bar (https://atlasbarmanchester.com) and ordered me usual Plymouth Gin (the finest Gin known to humanity) they'd run out of the standard Gin so substituted in the Navy Strength.

Just add tonic and a slice of Lime....that it...no Lilies gilded.

What. A. Fucking. Drink...

In Manchester last week I dropped into me favourite Gin bar (https://atlasbarmanchester.com) and ordered me usual Plymouth Gin (the finest Gin known to humanity) they'd run out of the standard Gin so substituted in the Navy Strength.

Just add tonic and a slice of Lime....that it...no Lilies gilded.

What. A. Fucking. Drink...

Plymouth gin is the best for making proper Navy style pink gins: lashings of Angostura bitters, coat the glass completely, pour out the residue (or leave in), a measure of Plymouth and some water to preference. As preferred by Lord Mountbatten and Noel Coward. Ice cubes are also a good alternative, especially in summer.

Plymouth gin is the best for making proper Navy style pink gins: lashings of Angostura bitters, coat the glass completely, pour out the residue (or leave in), a measure of Plymouth and some water to preference. As preferred by Lord Mountbatten and Noel Coward. Ice cubes are also a good alternative, especially in summer.

Its said to be the perfect Gin for Martinis too.

It really is fantastic.

Gin, lime, soda, triple sec and grenadine. Does it have a name or did I just invent something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom