It's always five o'clock somewhere

There are zero alcohol bars opening up here catering to the Gen Z and health crowd. As someone who avoids sugar from a diet many many diets ago it doesn't work well for me but it's a lifestyle choice.

Back to crap pinot grigio tonight.

Pelee Island merlot. $7.95 per 750ml bottle on final clearance.

Broke my Thu-Sun drinking ritual yesterday. Went out with someone younger who kept adding shots of whisky to glasses of wine. He ended up falling asleep at the last bar we went to. Literally closed his eyes sitting on a bar stool. Didn't fall off.

D3863FBA-EA4B-47E7-BFCD-2AABC1AF4229.jpeg

Cold beer on an empty stomach.

There was one summer many moons ago where it hit 40c and I was on a small street lined with tiny independent restaurants. I stopped by this Mexican place that didn't have air conditioning and had about 6 bottles of Negra Modelo. That was the first time I realised beer was refreshing. It was hot, humid and you were constantly sweating but the beeds of cold condensation around that bottle kept it tolerable.

My barber gave me a Japanese whiskey and a local IPA today. Drinks were good, will decide in the morning on the haircut!

I only remember giving my barber booze and not the other way around.

I bought a clearance 1.5l bottle of red wine from Folonari. Somehow I finished the whole thing yesterday.

I only remember giving my barber booze and not the other way around.

Most hipster barbershops here will give you a drink before your haircut. My new guy is unusual in that he has a small bar area and will also serve a limited range of whiskeys as well as craft beer. Also unusual to be offered a second drink.

Looking for some good martini recipes, for someone not really into gin and vodka. I had a Vespa in Atlanta which was good (heavy on the lemon) and a decent dirty martini.

I've heard of it at high end clothing stores. I think they need a permit here to regularly serve alcohol. You can apply for a one-time permit though. And if you're going through the cost and bureaucracy of getting a permit you might as well serve other things. I've seen barber pop ups inside restaurants/bars though - sometimes because it's dead or sometimes because it's in the basement.

I've heard of it at high end clothing stores. I think they need a permit here to regularly serve alcohol. You can apply for a one-time permit though. And if you're going through the cost and bureaucracy of getting a permit you might as well serve other things. I've seen barber pop ups inside restaurants/bars though - sometimes because it's dead or sometimes because it's in the basement.
Here, all the licensing is around selling alcohol. You can give it away for free to customers without any more regulation than in your own home. Sit makes the whole experience more fun, everyone likes their haircut when they get a little buzz and they make up for the expense with generous tips.

I decided to stop by the wine (and beer) bar at my local supermarket after grocery shopping.

I originally just wanted time by myself to check social media on my mobile but I ended up being requested to be at the bar. Some woman starts clinking glasses with me saying she knew me and didn't see me at the other regular bars on the street lately, and giving me updates on the bartenders/wait staff there. I still don't know who she is. I vaguely remember her and I certainly don't remember her name.

Apparently she lives in the same building an ex lady friend of mine used to live in down the street but I think she works in hospitality. We ended up on some massive tangent about the plight of the working poor and renting in the city.

She kept asking for an iPhone charger from just about everyone there because her cards were in her digital wallet. She ended up not paying for her meal or pints and took a rain cheque. When she got up she was some giant 6' + monster of a woman.

She wanted to go see a game later...(I only figured out part way it was the NBA final) but given I'm broke I didn't really feel like covering for her tab all night.

I did get a free glass of wine from the bartender which meant I had to tip even more.

I had one drink ticket for this board of trade event. I came on time (which in this city means you're early) so I went to the loneliest bartender on the rooftop patio. Flirted a bit and tipped her and got free pour wines filled to the brim for the rest of the night. Must have had 1 1/2 bottles.

I've been buying these cheap zinfandel and other low alcohol + low sugar white or fruit infused bottles. It's on clearance (maybe for a reason?) but I find it works. Drink 1L of real wine + 750ml of low alcohol wine and it lasts from lunch till night cap with minimal effects on my morning gym sessions.

School is out and one of my uni mates who is a teacher is trying to push me to try honey wine (he said it's not sauternes), mead, etc. Is that really a summer drink?

I think I will have to return the gift with a bottle of my own.

I'm at a wine tasting event this Sunday. Time restricted to 2 hours. Not sure what the pours will be but I have the final session. I took advantage of a buy one get one free ticket so I'm bringing a lady friend along. Hopefully it's sunny.

No amount of 1 1/2 oz pours could make me overlook she had hair on her arms.

One of the bartenders down the street from me gave me his number and wanted to go out for drinks. Bit strange.

Another beer drinker. My uni mate gave me a bottle of mead. Only 10% alcohol.

Happy National IPA Day!

I’m on a health kick, so I’m only drinking whiskey and sugar-free sour mix right now 🤪

Happy National IPA Day!

I’m on a health kick, so I’m only drinking whiskey and sugar-free sour mix right now 🤪

The last beer I had was helles.

Now I am just watching the women going to the baseball game. Mostly the ones not decked out in baseball kit. A few tasty birds.

Currently drinking: Vesperaide

Make a Vesper martini and dump it into a tall glass with ice and lemonade.

Not a bad ‘sipper’ on a hot summer’s eve.

I bought 4L of "light" 6.5% wine. It's white so it was really acidic at room temperature but if you put it in the fridge for awhile it goes down refreshing. Less than $1 per 100ml.

The only problem is they don't sell the boxes everywhere.

After a depressing morning that involved getting yelled at by a liquor store person I decided to go to the lake to get high and drunk. If I'm in decent shape I might shower and go to my friend's art exhibit party tonight as she scored a container in the shipping container market to exhibit her things.

It's a delicate balance between how many ml of wine, vodka, cannabis, clove cigarettes before one becomes cultural.

"Aperol Spritz is flowing from the counters of the most enchanting venues in New York City, from the terrace of the Independent Art Fair in Tribeca to the flamingo-themed new bakery on my Brooklyn block. In Singapore, you can take an Aperol Spritz bar crawl, and in Paris, it's now a fixture at most cafes next to the local pastis and kir."

...marketing. Not really a fan of aperol. I'd much rather campari with a splash of soda or just neat with ice and a twist of lemon.

"Aperol Spritz is flowing from the counters of the most enchanting venues in New York City, from the terrace of the Independent Art Fair in Tribeca to the flamingo-themed new bakery on my Brooklyn block. In Singapore, you can take an Aperol Spritz bar crawl, and in Paris, it's now a fixture at most cafes next to the local pastis and kir."

...marketing. Not really a fan of aperol. I'd much rather campari with a splash of soda or just neat with ice and a twist of lemon.

Seems like a doghouse doghouse thing

Seems like a doghouse doghouse thing

My wife is a big fan. I'm a Negroni devotee still, though honestly I've been doing mostly martinis this summer just because I'm lazy and they are so easy. I go the Dukes route and put everything in the freezer, then just pour them in the glass.

What’s the Dukes route? Don’t think we’ve ever discussed that one.

Put your glass and gin in the freezer, the gin at least the day before, vermouth in the fridge in spray bottle.

When you want a martini, pull out the frozen glass, spray some vermouth in, pour in some gin and toss lemon peel in, done. Best martini I've ever had and ridiculously simple

Put your glass and gin in the freezer, the gin at least the day before, vermouth in the fridge in spray bottle.

When you want a martini, pull out the frozen glass, spray some vermouth in, pour in some gin and toss lemon peel in, done. Best martini I've ever had and ridiculously simple
Interesting. How many sprays of vermouth do you use?

I do something similar, except I stupidly left the Lillet Blanc in the freezer once. Fridge only for that one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom