Its The Economy, Stupid - Economic & Business News From Around The World

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
I can't think of anything more absurd than 'Woke' Capitalism...
no argument there.

admittedly i was hoping that sentence would have omitted the 'Woke' section, but you have to take your victories where you can.

formby001

no argument there.

admittedly i was hoping that sentence would have omitted the 'Woke' section, but you have to take your victories where you can.
Well, you can make a good argument about why capitalism doesn't work or is dysfunctional, but it isn't absurd. However, Woke capitalism is absurd.

Other news: I believe they now taken down a statue of Teddy Roosevelt.

Will they now be clamouring to rename the eponymous cuddly toy?

Pimpernel Smith

Woke capitalism is absurd.
Not really, from their perspective it's a cheap and effective marketing gimmick: virtue signal and self-certify ideological purity with one posting on the company webpage and by pointing at the white underclass and working class and wagging their white middle class fingers.

Cheap as chips and so far the revolution isn't going to terrorize them. So long as they take the knee when ordered.

Rambo

Supporter
They turned off the water last night at 1900. It was reconnected in the middle of the night. Now I only have cold water. They have my sympathies.
better than having no water at all. try and imagine making your fancy italian dishes without water to boil the pasta.

Fwiffo

Supporter

"Nestor Guevara, 46, drives for Uber and Amazon Fresh.

'If you want to make a living, you have to go to work, no matter what,' he said. 'This is the way this country works.'"

Clearly they moved there for the American dream.

Fwiffo

Supporter
The main issue with the live entertainment business is part of the current season earnings are needed to secure debt and/or fund the following season. If you say people developed a slate of shows and concerts that they couldn't profit from then it breaks that chain. Maybe the government will step in to fund development for these troupes or companies.

Rambo

Supporter
Exactly. For when the police fall silent, you'll need well armed militias and private security to protect you from the mob.
Private security is NOT the route you want this to go towards. Can you imagine every rich fuck with their own Blackwater paramilitary force?

Pimpernel Smith

Private security is NOT the route you want this to go towards. Can you imagine every rich fuck with their own Blackwater paramilitary force?
Exactly! That's why defunding the police is an evolutionary dead end.

But by all means, do continue....

Rich celebrities will engage private security firms, which will include ex-military and those newly redundant police and they will shoot to kill. In the absence of police you will have no effective system of justice and gathering evidence to bring a case to court.

The world envisaged in Public Enemy's Muse Sick-n-Hour Mess Age will come into being.

Rambo

Supporter
Exactly! That's why defunding the police is an evolutionary dead end.

But by all means, do continue....

Rich celebrities will engage private security firms, which will include ex-military and those newly redundant police and they will shoot to kill. In the absence of police you will have no effective system of justice and gathering evidence to bring a case to court.

The world envisaged in Public Enemy's Muse Sick-n-Hour Mess Age will come into being.
So police departments should take up more than 50% of city budgets?

Rambo

Supporter

32% of americans missing rent and evictions are skyrocketing with no source of relief in sight. how's that working out?

Fwiffo

Supporter

32% of americans missing rent and evictions are skyrocketing with no source of relief in sight. how's that working out?
I guess that's why the US continues to reopen. Make money and risk death or be homeless and risk death.

Rambo

Supporter
I guess that's why the US continues to reopen. Make money and risk death or be homeless and risk death.
But the former isnt actually helping the latter, so whats the point?

Fwiffo

Supporter
But the former isnt actually helping the latter, so whats the point?
Those jobless claims will push past 50m if you don't open up so I reckon some reopening means some people can afford basic necessities. Some..not all. Just make more money and keep on the right side of the fence.

Pimpernel Smith

Those jobless claims will push past 50m if you don't open up so I reckon some reopening means some people can afford basic necessities. Some..not all. Just make more money and keep on the right side of the fence.
You have to open-up and get the economy going. Those at the lower end of the income scale generally need this most. Not everyone's job is doable working remotely from home.

It wasn't middle class salaried and government workers who were protesting in The Hague a month ago.

You have to implement appropriate safety measures, there is risk, but a universal income/life on the dole isn't going to work.

Fwiffo

Supporter

“The US economy shrank at a 32.9% annual rate between April and June as the country grappled with lockdowns and spending cutbacks during the pandemic.

It was the deepest decline since the government began keeping records in 1947 and three times more severe than the prior record of 10% set in 1958.

Reduced spending on services such as healthcare drove the fall.

Economists have said they expected to see the sharpest drop in the second quarter, with recovery thereafter.

But as virus cases in the US surge and some areas re-impose restrictions on activity, the rebound is showing signs of stalling.”

What is that - all the GDP growth of the last two presidencies combined evaporated in one quarter?

Pimpernel Smith

“The US economy shrank at a 32.9% annual rate between April and June as the country grappled with lockdowns and spending cutbacks during the pandemic.

It was the deepest decline since the government began keeping records in 1947 and three times more severe than the prior record of 10% set in 1958.

Reduced spending on services such as healthcare drove the fall.

Economists have said they expected to see the sharpest drop in the second quarter, with recovery thereafter.

But as virus cases in the US surge and some areas re-impose restrictions on activity, the rebound is showing signs of stalling.”

What is that - all the GDP growth of the last two presidencies combined evaporated in one quarter?
It's not looking good here either:

Screen_Shot_2020-07-30_at_12.36.29_PM.png

Pimpernel Smith

What happened to oil happening to champagne.
In these times, I do believe Hemmingway's own invention of an aperitif is ideal. Drink 2 or 3 before a meal. Very slowly.

Death In The Afternoon: 1 part Absinthe, 3 parts champagne.

Champagne is a drink most people reserve for good times. And the good times should be definitely designated weekly, if not every night on good company.

Top Bottom