Its The Economy, Stupid - Economic & Business News From Around The World

Yes to increasing coronavirus cases or yes to the decline of capital markets? I can't see either being desirable.

Well, maybe choose a trade or technical, or STEM career. Don't go into journalism, philosophy or psych. One son-in-law in his thirties, railroad engineer. High school education. Knew what he wanted to do and did not go to college or uni undecided and wasting time. $100K+ overtime. 7 kids. Sole income. Other SIL early 30's, failure at most things. Railroad conductor. close to $100K with OT. 3 kids. Sole income. Both own homes. It's hard manual work with a pension at the end of the rails. Tech is growing faster than the US. Not Silicon Valley salary but still cheaper living than the Bay Area. Canada immigration is handing out IT work permits so where are the Canadians?

But it is expensive to live no doubt about it. University and college is affordable though. Sucks to be in Toronto and Vancouver. But it has sucked for a generation or more with respect to cost of living and housing prices.

Fwiffs ain't suffering, well, except for being made redundant, but he earns well and will find something. Arnathor Arnathor would be the best barometer and closest to what I imagine the age of the OP to be. I'd be interested in hearing his point of view.

But you made him quit the forum again, you Fuckhead! Demanding logic and reading comprehension. He has quit more than any other member.

But you made him quit the forum again, you Fuckhead! Demanding logic and reading comprehension. He has quit more than any other member.
yeah but that means he'll come back. all addicts are predictable.

Well, maybe choose a trade or technical, or STEM career. Don't go into journalism, philosophy or psych. One son-in-law in his thirties, railroad engineer. High school education. Knew what he wanted to do and did not go to college or uni undecided and wasting time. $100K+ overtime. 7 kids. Sole income. Other SIL early 30's, failure at most things. Railroad conductor. close to $100K with OT. 3 kids. Sole income. Both own homes. It's hard manual work with a pension at the end of the rails. Tech is growing faster than the US. Not Silicon Valley salary but still cheaper living than the Bay Area. Canada immigration is handing out IT work permits so where are the Canadians?

But it is expensive to live no doubt about it. University and college is affordable though. Sucks to be in Toronto and Vancouver. But it has sucked for a generation or more with respect to cost of living and housing prices.
interesting perspective. i guess the real issues are with the younger generation. now imagine all that coupled with 100k of studen loan debt. that's what its like for the american kids.

yeah but that means he'll come back. all addicts are predictable.

interesting perspective. i guess the real issues are with the younger generation. now imagine all that coupled with 100k of studen loan debt. that's what its like for the american kids.
Average undergraduate tuition Canada is $7,000 CAD ($5,500 USD), Do a STEM master’s or PhD and there are funding packages that cover tuition plus living. School prestige is not a thing in Canada as it is in the US. Most study close to hone. Only 96 universities and most provinces have one medical-doctoral research school.

I think a big problem is the choice of post-secondary in search of the Canadian dream. The perception that it is a university that is better than college diplomas. Not US style AA degrees.

I think the white collar Canadian dream is withering.

Life is all about choices. Myself and my brother's family are renting. I don't think either of us believe we want to buy the current places we are renting but my brother has no chance to buy a townhouse in the city. I might give him some of my nest egg so he can afford the mortgage. But we wanted to be in the city so we made a choice.

I don't have children so I don't have that baggage nor the expenses so that's a choice. Some byproduct of that went to benefit my career. Again I consciously made a choice.

2007-2008 didn't devastate Canadian like the Americans. It certainly didn't stop the real estate prices going up. If the poster simply wanted to make unlimited wealth there are far far better places to be than Canada and its income tax system. Go work in Saudi Arabia, or Caymans, or even the States. But knowing this lot who are moaning like this moving cross town for a bigger opportunity would be borderline insurmountable.

Nothing in life is worth having unless you sacrifice for it.

Always a great thing when the president has to get on tv to tell us that capitalism is working well….

Life is all about choices. Myself and my brother's family are renting. I don't think either of us believe we want to buy the current places we are renting but my brother has no chance to buy a townhouse in the city. I might give him some of my nest egg so he can afford the mortgage. But we wanted to be in the city so we made a choice.

I don't have children so I don't have that baggage nor the expenses so that's a choice. Some byproduct of that went to benefit my career. Again I consciously made a choice.

2007-2008 didn't devastate Canadian like the Americans. It certainly didn't stop the real estate prices going up. If the poster simply wanted to make unlimited wealth there are far far better places to be than Canada and its income tax system. Go work in Saudi Arabia, or Caymans, or even the States. But knowing this lot who are moaning like this moving cross town for a bigger opportunity would be borderline insurmountable.

Nothing in life is worth having unless you sacrifice for it.
Kids aren't really a baggage, but you need to have kids to know what it's all about. That world you had goes forever. It doesn't impact your career other than having to go and pick them up from school when they fall ill a couple of times.

2008 hit the housing market here and we happened to buy ours peak of the housing boom July 2007. We had negative equity for a long time. Now the housing market here is going boom, up 13% and now 20% last month. Crazy. In any good area you'll never see a for sale sign. A house we looked at was €795,000 which at the time I didn't fancy a mortgage that much, it's just sold now for a cool 1.6 million.

The Dutch got hit in 2008. For several months the rush hour traffic coming out of The Hague was seriously reduced. That was the last hoorah for Shell as well. The last of the good times, before an endless round to reorganisations and redundancies. We'll see if they rev-up for the hydrogen economy.

Saudi Arabia's not the place, unless you're close to being destitute. There's better places in the Middle East. But as a client in Dubai told me, for 9 months of the year it's too hot to go outside. You have to be a certain money grubbing type to take to it.

You'll never make big money as a staff salary man in western Europe, unless you're working in one of the tax free EU or international organisations. Too many taxes and when you do make a good bonus more than half of it is hoovered-up in taxes. Trading is where you can money.

Saudi Arabia's not the place, unless you're close to being destitute. There's better places in the Middle East. But as a client in Dubai told me, for 9 months of the year it's too hot to go outside. You have to be a certain money grubbing type to take to it.
Yes - I forgot. Dubai - ex pat worker capital of the middle east.

Kids aren't really a baggage, but you need to have kids to know what it's all about. That world you had goes forever. It doesn't impact your career other than having to go and pick them up from school when they fall ill a couple of times.

In your view it is a necessary rite of passage that every man ought to go through then. You make it sound like I only see them once a day for afternoon tea but alas I lack the means to afford a nanny, tutor, and some posh boarding school.

you might like this one Thruth Thruth . might be a bit too radical for Fwiffo Fwiffo

Canada enacted one of the most generous coronavirus assistance programs in the world - to businesses' payroll, individual people including gig and part time workers, a landlord/tenant rent assistance program, and other one time subsidies for seniors, the aboriginals, etc.

They're rolling back in a way that is no different than what the British are already doing. In fact you might want to argue the British are opening come hell or high water because none of us are communist states that can sustain the entire economy for long periods of time. We aren't China. We can't go pick a rich guy or company and take over their possessions to pay the bills.

Canada had already entered the pandemic borrowing at low interest rates and spending with a deficit so it's only natural the pendulum needs to swing back before my brother's baby questions our fiscal stewardship and overall sanity.

As for investment in technology, it's far more favourable than investing in yet more pipelines that the current Democratic administration won't support and in a commodity that is being tarred and feathered in the media. Canada's unemployment rate and currency is completely driven by the fact we are a petrol economy.

Similar to Australia, Canadian universities attracted foreign students. The students create another path for immigration. For the most part Canada is still 'open' for immigration and that influx is offsetting the lower natural birth rate and keeping the population younger. I remember in the last decade the universities here were known for generating actuarial talent in North America. Now they're known for things like artificial intelligence. It didn't help the previous Republican administration scared off liberals and enacted politically motivated bans on visas/visitors so tech conferences and talent decided to come across the border. They also saw a more diverse and tolerant society. If you looked at the tech start up activity in North America and the number of natural population growth in North America by city up to 2019 you'll see those trends were feeding each other in a perfect storm for the country.

In your view it is a necessary rite of passage that every man ought to go through then. You make it sound like I only see them once a day for afternoon tea but alas I lack the means to afford a nanny, tutor, and some posh boarding school.
I don't see it as a rite of passage, others do though. If you're lucky like I was, the missus can stay at home for a few years which worked out very well. It's not pleasant leaving the kids in day care, especially when they're really young.

The furlough schemes are ending in the UK and I wonder if a lot of hidden unemployment will come out. Here in the Netherlands, the offices and traffic are back to normal. The work from home 50% of the time if you can is basically ignored in lots of places.

"A Google employee in Stamford, Connecticut, which is an hour away from New York by train, would be paid 15% less working remotely, while there were 5% and 10% differences in the Seattle, Boston and San Francisco areas."

Why are you 2 or 3 hours roundtrip from work anyway?

"A Google employee in Stamford, Connecticut, which is an hour away from New York by train, would be paid 15% less working remotely, while there were 5% and 10% differences in the Seattle, Boston and San Francisco areas."

Why are you 2 or 3 hours roundtrip from work anyway?
Only place you can afford to live

If you have an office in Manhattan and live in a suburb, you live at least 1 hour away from your office. Unfortunately, folks who want to live in a suburb but work for a major company without a suburban office in the NYC area cannot possibly live any closer.

Google will not change employees' pay if they work fully remotely from the same city.

That is ridiculous because I hazard to guess almost all of Google's offices are located in the city. This would make some semblance of sense if it read "metro area".

Yet we continue having more kids that decrease the odds of prosperity and increase the odds of suffering. Or perhaps people think it's like lottery tickets, maybe my next child will be a Nobel Prize winner or an Instagram influencer.

"America's third largest airline, Delta, is to impose a $200 (£145) monthly surcharge on employees who are not vaccinated against Covid-19.

It will also only pay sick pay to Covid sufferers who have been double-jabbed but still get infected."

"America's third largest airline, Delta, is to impose a $200 (£145) monthly surcharge on employees who are not vaccinated against Covid-19.

It will also only pay sick pay to Covid sufferers who have been double-jabbed but still get infected."
1629985135612.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom