Labor News, Union News, Workplace Stories, & How The Working Man Continually Gets Fucked Over

That's good then, an increase in wages for the working man:

I follow some of the rates in the UK for offshore workers and in engineering construction. The rates are pretty depressed at the moment. Skilled welders who can weld anything between GBP15-25.00 an hour, but that could be working away from home and they expect you to pick-up the hotel/B&B costs.

Offshore NDE and quality positions between GBP 325-400 a day. But you only work half the year, so it's actually half of that. The last boom off shore in Australia they were getting well over GBP 2,000 a day. They were paying 50%+ tax and stoppages on that, but still walking out with around GBP 1,400 a day.

Yes and maintaining the same square footage you were leasing before with desks for hybrid work plus sanitation plus I want somewhere to stow my knick knacks plus I don't want to sit at a shared station using infected keyboards, mice, phone, etc plus I don't want to commit coming in X, Y and Z day because flexibility means I only come in once a month when the team goes to lunch....

That makes a hell of a lot sense for the corporation.

Yes and maintaining the same square footage you were leasing before with desks for hybrid work plus sanitation plus I want somewhere to stow my knick knacks plus I don't want to sit at a shared station using infected keyboards, mice, phone, etc plus I don't want to commit coming in X, Y and Z day because flexibility means I only come in once a month when the team goes to lunch....

That makes a hell of a lot sense for the corporation.
Thought the same, how does this effect those organisations where you hot-bed from one different work station to another each day? All academic as we'll all be working from home and in another lockdown in about 4-6 weeks time.

I find that practice very strange, if not dreadful. If you don't what people having Kinder Surprise toys and photos of their kids on the desks, just have a clear desk policy.

Does that mean we should stop buying their product?

every frito lay board member should be shot

7x12hrs is a tough game. Plenty of people do it, but generally not for an extended period, other than junior doctors. The Japanese have in the last decade had a revolution in working hours and ditched their excessive hours.

Productivity does suffer after the initial surge of 12hr days. A production line might extend it, but ultimately productivity will be reduced as everyone gets over tired.

I worked for much of my twenties, 7 days a week. Sometimes 12hrs for extended periods like 3-6 months, but mainly Monday-Thursday 10hrs 8am-6pm, Friday 8am-1:30pm, Saturday 8am-to noon and Sunday 8am-3.30pm. And that was expected and other than your holidays, you had to work it. When I started working normal hours with weekends off, it was pretty amazing that extra time for R&R.

7x12hrs is a tough game. Plenty of people do it, but generally not for an extended period, other than junior doctors. The Japanese have in the last decade had a revolution in working hours and ditched their excessive hours.

Productivity does suffer after the initial surge of 12hr days. A production line might extend it, but ultimately productivity will be reduced as everyone gets over tired.

I worked for much of my twenties, 7 days a week. Sometimes 12hrs for extended periods like 3-6 months, but mainly Monday-Thursday 10hrs 8am-6pm, Friday 8am-1:30pm, Saturday 8am-to noon and Sunday 8am-3.30pm. And that was expected and other than your holidays, you had to work it. When I started working normal hours with weekends off, it was pretty amazing that extra time for R&R.
is this a long winded way of saying you're going to boycott frito lay products and support the workers in their struggle?

Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith you want to work through this???
It's a awhile since I've done a dedicated Health & Safety audit, but the photos reveal trip hazards, access and egress obstructions of particular concern as Lays management state they do have problems with fire, there's over stacked boxes near a conveyor system which have a number of near miss type scenarios, bare wire another near miss.

The issue with 12 hour working needs some Kaizen methodology applied. Why is the work process so inefficient and intensive that people have to work 12 hours 7 days a week for several months at a time? Plenty of industries do work 12 hour work shifts and the general patterns are 4 days on 4 days off, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, a month on and month off. That's ultimately doable, but sustained month in month out with no rest it's too much and it cannot be productive. I know of no factory production line that works 12 hours shifts, it's three 8 hour shifts over the 24 hours. Mining was/or is the same.

All the research I know of, show that an increase of work to 12 hours, creates an initial increase in productivity, but after a very short time the productively lags and goes down. Ultimately it's good for a very short burst only. Something is wrong in that factory hence they're on strike.

It's a awhile since I've done a dedicated Health & Safety audit, but the photos reveal trip hazards, access and egress obstructions of particular concern as Lays management state they do have problems with fire, there's over stacked boxes near a conveyor system which have a number of near miss type scenarios, bare wire another near miss.

The issue with 12 hour working needs some Kaizen methodology applied. Why is the work process so inefficient and intensive that people have to work 12 hours 7 days a week for several months at a time? Plenty of industries do work 12 hour work shifts and the general patterns are 4 days on 4 days off, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, a month on and month off. That's ultimately doable, but sustained month in month out with no rest it's too much and it cannot be productive. I know of no factory production line that works 12 hours shifts, it's three 8 hour shifts over the 24 hours. Mining was/or is the same.

All the research I know of, show that an increase of work to 12 hours, creates an initial increase in productivity, but after a very short time the productively lags and goes down. Ultimately it's good for a very short burst only. Something is wrong in that factory hence they're on strike.
you're getting closer to being a revolutionary by the day.

I’d take the hit and go to prison for life just to rid the earth of him.
Unless you take personal enjoyment from it I would follow his lead and delegate or outsource it.

Let's compare this to the rhetoric of the 20th century: Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.
that was when people thought the country would do something for them. they're starting to wake up now.

Depends on the business. Global businesses: organisations operating through several time zones, make 9-5 redundant and people need to be available outside of those hours and the luxury of a 4 day week.

If I send an email to China or Singapore, regularly I will get responses at 9pm or 10pm their time.

Many people are working more hours, not less. The difference being the work is less arduous and physically taxing than in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom