Labor News, Union News, Workplace Stories, & How The Working Man Continually Gets Fucked Over

for fucks sake fwiffers you work in insurance. you don't think it would be in the best interest of the corporation to provide a safe and effective working environment for their employees?

but that's the rub of it all isn't it? these people aren't actually employees, they're "independent contractors", which allows the parent corporation to skirt and and all liability. which is exactly why they want to keep it that way.

As an insurance man - if you have no human employees and you keep paying for liability and comp premiums - I'm happy. No claims. If you have humans employees who never make claims - I'm happy. If you have human employees who slip, fall, or otherwise make claims - I raise your premium.

In no permutation of this scenario do I care about the insured corporation's people. I just want zero claims so I can park the premium into my asset management arm to make money. The moment claims and premiums equal - I lose my expensed lunches, travel and the office supply for printer and toilet paper.

Fuck yeah Scotland!
Window dressing by a country that lives on the dole money of the English and has the lowest life expectency and highest hard drug deaths in Europe. A lot of nice space and near wilderness mind you.

Window dressing by a country that lives on the dole money of the English and has the lowest life expectency and highest hard drug deaths in Europe. A lot of nice space and near wilderness mind you.
yes and lets not do anything about the underlying conditions that could be causing any of said issues....

Congratulations, Grand Potentate Grand Potentate , that is probably the first time you post something positive in here!

However, actual picture of such an "Amazon factory town":

E-jPQ7JXoBAkaC7

‘The pay is absolute crap’: Child-care workers are quitting rapidly, a red flag for the economy​

Child care employment is still down more than 126,000 positions as workers leave for higher-paying positions as bank tellers, administrative assistants and retail clerks. Parents are struggling to return to work as daycare and after-school programs dwindle.​

“British haulage companies, still trying to run on the old-fashioned principle that a driver ought to get home for a couple of days of family life at least once a month, told me they could not compete. They are increasingly required to bid for haulage contracts on new Uber-style platforms run by e-commerce sites that set the price and precise timeslots for warehouse collection and delivery in a one-way auction.”

“The pattern is the same in other sectors now suffering acute labour shortages. Harvesting crops has always been tough, dirty work; gangs of workers used to do it for relatively contained hours over short periods of the year or in shifts around school hours. Now rolling 12-hour-plus shifts, seven days a week, are common.

Meat factories used to treat working late or at weekends as optional overtime for extra money. Now workers are expected to sweat at an abattoir’s capital intensive plant, for as long as it takes the owners to supply supermarket orders, for a flat hourly rate.”

Sounds like Rambo.

”New technology has indeed created a distribution system that is miraculous in its sophistication and in the returns it gives to capital, but it is built on a fatal flaw. Workers are not automata in some Fritz Lang Metropolis-type dystopia. And automation itself doesn’t eradicate the mindless jobs but has a way of creating new forms of drudgery with every leap forward.”

Isn’t she a lovely person to have a cup of tea with?

“British haulage companies, still trying to run on the old-fashioned principle that a driver ought to get home for a couple of days of family life at least once a month, told me they could not compete. They are increasingly required to bid for haulage contracts on new Uber-style platforms run by e-commerce sites that set the price and precise timeslots for warehouse collection and delivery in a one-way auction.”
There's been a couple of attempts by various IT development firms with entrepreneurs, venture capitalists and associated chancers trying the same schtick in my sector. They market it as an equitable solution for a win-win situation for all parties in the supply chain, but they're all the same gimmick, vectoring the client to the lowest priced service all other factors exluded. They've all failed for obvious reasons.

I would have thought the haulage industry in the UK would be robust and savvy enough to resist such a takeover of the industry.

I assume the prices go up to reflect the increase in labour costs.
It's quite expensive to live in Denmark, not quite the high taxation and double expensiveness of Norway or Finland, but inbetween that and The Netherlands for example. So that equivalent of $22 with the slew of generous social benefits from the State, will be paid for through high taxation. So the equivalent of $22 an hour isn't that spectacular. The six weeks holidays are of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom