Labor News, Union News, Workplace Stories, & How The Working Man Continually Gets Fucked Over

This a bit over the top for advanced western post-industrialized work ''daunting drudgery of modern work''. It's hardly the old factory system, or waiting on dead men's shoes in the world of the corporate man.

This a bit over the top for advanced western post-industrialized work ''daunting drudgery of modern work''. It's hardly the old factory system, or waiting on dead men's shoes in the world of the corporate man.

I think there's still a lot of work that is unpleasant or that doesn't seem to have much purpose (beyond making money for the owner, of course). A lot of hospitality work, for example, or working in a callcentre (particularly if you're selling things, even more so if you're cold-calling). Those are just two examples, and I'm sure I could come up with many more if I thought about it.

In the West, over the past few decades, people have been told that they should do a job that matters, do something that they love, do something that they're passionate about. In part, this is because (thankfully), we do have some more choice in what we can do nowadays - it's much more common to go to university than it was just forty years ago, for example. However, if I were a cynical person, I'd also say that this idea that we should do something we're passionate about, do something that we love, is also a way of getting people emotionally attached to work so they accept that they should make sacrifices for work - because, after all, if we love it isn't it worth making sacrifices for it?

"I work long hours because my work is important to me" or "...because I love it" - rather than saying to the boss, "Stuff it - if you're expecting me to stay back to read through court filings until 3am, you'd better pay me for it!"

I'm lucky enough to enjoy what I do, and I also think that my job helps to make a genuine, positive difference. However, I'm also really conscious of work-life balance and I make sure that I work to live, not live to work.

"Mr Garg's management style has also been criticised before, after an email that he sent to staff that was obtained by Forbes last year.

In the email, Mr Garg wrote: 'You are TOO DAMN SLOW. You are a bunch of DUMB DOLPHINS... SO STOP IT. STOP IT. STOP IT RIGHT NOW. YOU ARE EMBARRASSING ME.'"

I believe dolphins are quite intelligent.

I think there's still a lot of work that is unpleasant or that doesn't seem to have much purpose (beyond making money for the owner, of course). A lot of hospitality work, for example, or working in a callcentre (particularly if you're selling things, even more so if you're cold-calling). Those are just two examples, and I'm sure I could come up with many more if I thought about it.

In the West, over the past few decades, people have been told that they should do a job that matters, do something that they love, do something that they're passionate about. In part, this is because (thankfully), we do have some more choice in what we can do nowadays - it's much more common to go to university than it was just forty years ago, for example. However, if I were a cynical person, I'd also say that this idea that we should do something we're passionate about, do something that we love, is also a way of getting people emotionally attached to work so they accept that they should make sacrifices for work - because, after all, if we love it isn't it worth making sacrifices for it?

"I work long hours because my work is important to me" or "...because I love it" - rather than saying to the boss, "Stuff it - if you're expecting me to stay back to read through court filings until 3am, you'd better pay me for it!"

I'm lucky enough to enjoy what I do, and I also think that my job helps to make a genuine, positive difference. However, I'm also really conscious of work-life balance and I make sure that I work to live, not live to work.
Isn't going to university a sacrifice? In terms of delaying access to earning capacity, cramming and studying to the early hours when you could be out having a good time?

Everyone makes sacrifices of some sort or another to get ahead. Delayed gratification is part of the human condition.

As is work. It gives structure, meaning, a sense of purpose and mission, esprit de corps and hopefully status and financial reward. I don't have a problem with it, so long as it's not drudgery or exploitative. If someone has the capacity, by choice and enjoys working long hours, so long as it's not H&S issue, good for them. Especially of you're making double time.

Everyone makes sacrifices of some sort or another to get ahead. Delayed gratification is part of the human condition.

As is work. It gives structure, meaning, a sense of purpose and mission, esprit de corps and hopefully status and financial reward.
There is so much wrong with this statement.

There is so much wrong with this statement.
Not really, those type of sacrifices, are nothing compared to the Greatest Generation. Especially as they may deliver future prospects, career, happiness and wealth. Putting the time and effort is a better roll of the dice than the alternative.

Not really, those type of sacrifices, are nothing compared to the Greatest Generation. Especially as they may deliver future prospects, career, happiness and wealth. Putting the time and effort is a better roll of the dice than the alternative.
the greatest generation has come and gone. unless you lived through the great depression you really have nothing to compare to in the here and now.

the greatest generation has come and gone. unless you lived through the great depression you really have nothing to compare to in the here and now.
From The Greatest Generation to ‘I can’t breath in a mask’ in just 75 years.

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

This will drive Rambo crazy.

“If you leave, you’re more than likely to be fired,”

these people should be shot and killed. simple as that. then their families should be deported and their assets seized and distributed amongst the employees.

This will drive Rambo crazy.

“If you leave, you’re more than likely to be fired,”
the real reason they get away with this shit

health & safety in regards to what? and what are we talking about with the bodies, i'm confused.
Don't you have Health & Safety over there, or is still at the level of ''Throw in the corner until we have time to bury them?''
Health and Safety is still run by bureaucrats from the previous business oriented administration. Don't worry, the President and VP have a plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom