Let's Talk About Denim

There’s a beautiful Orslow indigo denim jacket on Blue Owl on sale now. I’m very tempted, but I’m still a bit stuck on what I’d wear it with. Double indigo looks too metal band for me and I don’t wear chinos on the weekend.
View attachment 33421

Not a fan at all. Don't like the Vshaped stitching from the front pockets downward, also the don't like the coloraway.

Lol . I am going through lint rollers. Any application I can use to prevent lint from adhering in the first place? I got two cats which doesn't help either

Wouldn’t advise using a pumice stone on raw denim or anti static dryer sheets (you’d have to wash and dry every two or three wears) - I don’t think you’ve got any other option.

Wouldn’t advise using a pumice stone on raw denim or anti static dryer sheets (you’d have to wash and dry every two or three wears) - I don’t think you’ve got any other option.
Yea he does. Get rid of the fucking cats.
A grown man, allegedly straight, keeping cats. This is what’s wrong with the world these days.

what is this shit? cats are only for gay men now? get the fuck out of here.
What kind of manly man keeps cats?
Among the most pointless pets on earth, second only to taking a bird and putting it in a cage or clipping its wings so it can’t fly away.

Dafuq is wrong with people? $300 for a used pair of jeans?? And Nudies as well.

8109E061-37AE-4268-9490-F7B37D4EB985.jpeg

They were bought at Fake Alpha in Tokyo, and cost just under £300. Not cheap, but still towards the bottom end of prices for vintage 501s

1604465205966.png

They were bought at Fake Alpha in Tokyo, and cost just under £300. Not cheap, but still towards the bottom end of prices for vintage 501s

It always amazes me that people who would never dream of paying for factory-made wear-and-tear on items such as jeans and watches, will deliberately pay large sums of money for someone else's wear-and-tear on jeans and watches.

If it's not your wear-and-tear, or from someone close to you that you know, then what is the substantive difference? If you don't know the person who used to own the item, don't know its history, don't know where it was worn and what the person was doing while wearing the item, then how does it actually matter if it was "natural" wear-and-tear, or whether it was factory-induced?

I know that people like to blather on about "authenticity" and so on, but it really seems like a giant intellectual wank to me. However, I'm very happy to hear a different point of view.

Haven’t seen them in a while but Fender used to make guitars all scratched up and faded. Some were supposedly copied off well known players’ - I seem to remember Joe Strummer’s green Tele, Andy Summers’ sunburst Tele, EVH’s red and white Strat, SRV’s brown Strat etc. Ridiculous really but there’s one born every minute.

New CianoFarmer jeans arrived this week. I already have a pair in the Miner fit in size 32 which I love, but realised I could size down to 31. I requested an additional 1” at the opening (now about 9.5”) , to make sure they would easily cover any boots and never get caught up when I sit and then stand. I was a little afraid they would look too flared or bootcut but I’m very happy with the outcome. The Miner is a high rise true straight, so adding a bit at the bottom doesn’t alter the profile too much. Fantastic construction again. I love the soft yet insanely heavy pocket bags and reinforced back pockets. These were a six month wait, but luckily I have a second pair in the queue (heavy Japanese indigo) that should be ready in about a month.
E07EAEBB-881E-4CC5-A308-7C876288B632.jpeg
B4A32097-558B-4F4E-BEBB-CCCC3722F9FA.jpeg

How are you guys 31/32. I am a 33/34 which takes significant amount of effort and I am as lean as I can possibly be without being emaciated.

How are you guys 31/32. I am a 33/34 which takes significant amount of effort and I am as lean as I can possibly be without being emaciated.

Genetics, mostly.

My kid drew this portrait of me and is is crazy accurate:

EF827C00-C23E-453A-AEA0-8466D147806A.jpeg

Do like the looks of some of the current RL denim jackets on offer in the EU, definitely a cut above Levi's and with RL when they're good, and not being ubiquitous, they're very good:

s7-1357451_lifestyle.jpg

s7-1134500_lifestyle.jpg

s7-1430190_lifestyle.jpg

s7-1422263_lifestyle.jpg

s7-1430184_lifestyle.jpg

Compared to Levi’s, yeh they are ok. But you’re comparing a $60 shirt with a $265 shirt there, so I would hope so. And for the money RL charges, you can do a LOT better.

Compared to Levi’s, yeh they are ok. But you’re comparing a $60 shirt with a $265 shirt there, so I would hope so. And for the money RL charges, you can do a LOT better.
I’m with you on being able to find much, much better for those prices

That lime green one is not good look, and the 4 pockets style is meh. Very basic unless they are using deadstock and sewn on a vintage machine.

But the thing with RL, it's like JW Black, widely available, consistent and you know what you're getting.

The vintage work wear one's look great, as good as Buzz Ricksons IMCO.

That lime green one is not good look, and the 4 pockets style is meh. Very basic unless they are using deadstock and sewn on a vintage machine.
I think on the right person and the right rock concert or bar, it would look pretty distinctive.

But the thing with RL, it's like JW Black, widely available, consistent and you know what you're getting.

The vintage work wear one's look great, as good as Buzz Ricksons IMCO.

I think on the right person and the right rock concert or bar, it would look pretty distinctive.
This is the point. We not resident in Northern America, don't have the same array of options you guys do over there

This is the point. We not resident in Northern America, don't have the same array of options you guys do over there
You guys definitely miss out on the budget end of the spectrum (Taylor Stitch, Bravestar, Gustin, Tellason, etc), but I thought you had access to the Japanese brands and also Mister Freedom? And also Bronson and the Chinese stuff.

Is there something like Clutch Cafe on the continent? And then there is Iron Heart UK. How about Soso in Sweden?

Last edited:
just saying because you posted some RRL shirts there
I posted, but I don't have any. Have to Purple ones - made in Turkey and that will be an attractive place to do business at the moment with exchange rates. Might even be cheaper than China.

Eight months later, I got the shipping notice from Ciano. Quality is amazing and the price is good …. but you pay in time.

170D7814-D334-4FB1-97CF-CCF4F5B42F31.jpeg

Got the 1937 501's:

IMG_3085.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

Proper boy sizes, so needed to go up big time on the waist. And if they shrink the promised two sizes...I might try and not wash these and do the monthly freeze. We'll see.

The fit is that greaser/biker Marlon Brando in The Wild One, very baggy in the lower leg, so need to rectify and get them taken in.

Haven't worn denim for ages, and raw denim since forever, but I've a few delayed concerts coming up and thought let's go a bit more casual than the usual just got here from work look.

we have a big summer street festival here each year, White Linen Nights, which we dropped into after dinner Saturday night. One of the shops on the street I looked into is a Mistwr Freedom stockist. I’ve followed their stuff online for a decade, but this was the first time to handle it in person. The Campus Jacket was an obvious draw, but it was on display behind the counter and I didn’t want to interrupt the sales guy to ask to see something I don’t need to be tempted by.

Instead, I spent quite a bit of time looking over a half dozen different jeans. In summary, I can see why MF get the love they do and I hope they continue on in the trajectory they are headed. Construction and details are supurb and the various patterns perfectly capture the different decade of US denim. Both the 1950s and the 30s/40s models were stand-outs for me. That said, the denim itself was good but nothing breathtaking. The Japanese milled stuff still reminded me of Cone Mills mid-weight. Nothing wrong with it at all, but I guess I was hoping to be shocked. Perfect time capsules for what the OG jeans were like back in the day - nothing more and nothing less.

I wanted to be wowed and tempted to buy some MFs, but ultimately I guess I’ll stick with the painfully slow Ciano in order to be able to get my custom fit and denim choice at the same price. Or, if I needed something faster, I’d probably head to Full Count or Warehouse if I was willing to pay those retail prices.

Lead time is definitely better than Ciano and the price is ok:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom