Odd Things Seen Daily By Me

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
It would have been a bit detrimental to your military stint if your lips naturally curled up and you exuded a natural sunny happy disposition.
I was a combat medic. I was supposed to have a good bedside manner as well as shooting people. Actually, for a while there was a rumour that I was helping myself to my morphine stash, because I was always cheery and I was a little too well versed in pharmacology.

It’s only in the last ten years or so that people have told me my normal expression and countenance is stern and scary. At least until I smile. I find it a little disturbing, since I think of myself as easygoing and approachable. The ‘compliment’ I get most from work colleagues is something like ‘you’re actually a lot nicer than I thought, when I first met you’.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
I just went through the photos on my phone and I do see the resemblance.

I also just decided that my existential dilemma is: smile and look approachable but with a face full of wrinkles or look mean and slightly less wrinkley. I probably should’ve used sunscreen the past 40 years.

Fwiffo

Supporter
I was a combat medic. I was supposed to have a good bedside manner as well as shooting people. Actually, for a while there was a rumour that I was helping myself to my morphine stash, because I was always cheery and I was a little too well versed in pharmacology.

It’s only in the last ten years or so that people have told me my normal expression and countenance is stern and scary. At least until I smile. I find it a little disturbing, since I think of myself as easygoing and approachable. The ‘compliment’ I get most from work colleagues is something like ‘you’re actually a lot nicer than I thought, when I first met you’.
Time for plastic surgery that makes you look cheery? I'm sure someone offers that.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Homeless people with technology. I saw one with a mobile. Today I saw one who had some kind of smart watch or fit bit or something.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Grown men who have stickers and decals on their laptops. Why? Also a lot of them sport cutesy cartoon characters. Do they want to project themselves as old men with immature juvenile sensibilities?

Fwiffo

Supporter
Asians who wear one of those medical masks yet sport open toe shoes or flip flops. It's 30c and I'm afraid of airborne viruses but other exposed skin who cares.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Sikhs who assume their turban is good enough for a bicycle helmet in a city where helmets are required by law.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
Sikhs who assume their turban is good enough for a bicycle helmet in a city where helmets are required by law.
Why are you worrying about Sikhs on bikes without helmets? Ontario has a helmet exemption for Sikhs on motorcycles. They do not have to wear helmets on worksites or in the Canadian Forces.

One Canadian test lab tested a Sikh turban for impact characteristics, and found that they probably would not provide much impact protection, certainly not enough to approach the performance of a helmet meeting any of the national or international bicycle helmet standards. Turbans may vary according to regional styles, and can differ considerably in size, shape, density and other characteristics, so it would be difficult to design a helmet to fit over or under them. A turban-shaped helmet is probably not a viable option even if it were acceptable to Sikhs, because the traditional Sikh turban is meticulously wound, and it would be difficult for a turban wearer to remove their turban, ride in the helmet, and rewind the turban after the ride. Winding a turban over a helmet would eliminate ventilation and result in a very large headgear, while still requiring that the normal turban be taken off to ride.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Why are you worrying about Sikhs on bikes without helmets? Ontario has a helmet exemption for Sikhs on motorcycles. They do not have to wear helmets on worksites or in the Canadian Forces.
1. Because I am concerned about all of mankind

2. Unless it's Iron Man esque titanium laced fabric I am sure the cloth turban is negligible to no protection.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
1. Because I am concerned about all of mankind

2. Unless it's Iron Man esque titanium laced fabric I am sure the cloth turban is negligible to no protection.
Their faith will protect them.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Women who wear fake lashes at the gym or on runs in the city. What's the point of that?

Fwiffo

Supporter
The sheer amount of capitalistic homeless people who claim they are veterans leading up to Remembrance Day.

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Supporter
The sheer amount of capitalistic homeless people who claim they are veterans leading up to Remembrance Day.
i'm confused as to how you're using "capitalistic" in this sentence. so you're upset they're seeking money or you're upset they're not communists?

Fwiffo

Supporter
i'm confused as to how you're using "capitalistic" in this sentence. so you're upset they're seeking money or you're upset they're not communists?
Because when it's 12th November no one is a veteran anymore and they start looking for Santa hats or a menorah.

They crowd the financial district during the week and leave it deserted on weekends to shift towards more profitable tourist areas. All their pleas and placards saying how they don't have a home so they are using this place as a makeshift home is a load of rubbish. The pursuit of profit as motive in life - capitalism par excellence.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Interracial couples and not just white and a colour but brown and black. Why was it when I was interested in brown it was taboo?

Pimpernel Smith

Whilst the Dutch are a tall race, if not the tallest, I've noticed in the lift that the consultancy engaged in lucrative public sector and government contracts in the building seem to have a policy of employing tall 6' Amazons. A policy, I thoroughly approve of, but a lot of them seem to have dry skin especially the hands. This is a Dutch thing by the way, dry hands and parched facial skin due to lack of care and moisturizing.

Top Bottom