Odd Things Seen Daily By Me

analeigh-tipton_95379.jpg

Not ageing well.

analeigh-tipton_95379.jpg

Not ageing well.

She looks the same to me. Nothing wrong with her that makeup wouldn't resolve.

What about Canadian ex-supermodel, Linda Evangelista, seen recent photos of her? She got babied-up, plump and mumsified, there's no coming back from that style evolution.

She looks the same to me. Nothing wrong with her that makeup wouldn't resolve.

What about Canadian ex-supermodel, Linda Evangelista, seen recent photos of her? She got babied-up, plump and mumsified, there's no coming back from that style evolution.

No. She doesn't. The glow is gone. The dimples are gone. Very depressing.

Monica Bellucci. She's ageing elegantly.

Food delivery cyclists blasting music on speakers.

The choice of music is eclectic. Yesterday evening I heard from half a block away Whitney Houston Bodyguard ballads. He is making a delivery to a romantic couple? He needs a cool down song after peddling up hill?

There's one in every town, the strange eccentric who decides to build an absolute monstrosity for no other reason other than he can:

IMG_2584.jpg

^Doesn't look like it was built, so much as slowly evolved over time!

Interestingly, there are houses like that in Tokyo and also other parts of Japan - either they were built piecemeal over time, slowly expanding, or they were repaired in a very jerry-rigged manner and so started out OK but degraded over time.

Looks like it was originally in a semi rural area overtaken by soulless development next door.

Looks like it was originally in a semi rural area overtaken by soulless development next door.
Actually that's taken from a cycle lane through a nature reserve and is on the edge of place called Berkel en Rodenrijs which is commuter suburb to Rotterdam.

Who works in an office like this:

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

If they ever get selected to go on a 2 year mission to Mars, they're all set for conditioning.

I, on the other hand, would probably drink a bottle of whisky, swallow some oxycontin and play Russian roulette with a revolver every day.

If they ever get selected to go on a 2 year mission to Mars, they're all set for conditioning.

I, on the other hand, would probably drink a bottle of whisky, swallow some oxycontin and play Russian roulette with a revolver every day.
He's a very big and overweight guy, I've never seen him using the massage chair. Up until last week he had two other desks and colleagues and they would come in a couple of times a week. The bike is a new addition, perhaps he wants those who visit him, or getting interviewed by him to cycle for him as a technique to break down barriers, or make them less nervous, or the reverse.

He runs a recruitment agency specifically for BAME people to get them working for the government here. It's obviously funded by the state and might be a lucrative gig.

I thought that was a home office and home for one person.

This Italian restaurant I went to before coronavirus moved a few blocks away. During the pandemic they were able to get their kitchen up and running and are slowly adding patio outdoor dining. But how can you claim you are Italian when you add basil leaves as garnish for Bucatini all'Amatriciana? Or for that matter chopped parsley on to Spaghetti Carbonara? I get you want colourful things on your Instagram but sandwiched in between photographs of the Azzurri?

This Italian restaurant I went to before coronavirus moved a few blocks away. During the pandemic they were able to get their kitchen up and running and are slowly adding patio outdoor dining. But how can you claim you are Italian when you add basil leaves as garnish for Bucatini all'Amatriciana? Or for that matter chopped parsley on to Spaghetti Carbonara? I get you want colourful things on your Instagram but sandwiched in between photographs of the Azzurri?
Time for an outraged letter to local paper I think

you ever thought about being a food critic or writing a blog or something online? i'm asking as a serious question. i think you'd be quite good at it.

you ever thought about being a food critic or writing a blog or something online? i'm asking as a serious question. i think you'd be quite good at it.

Because of my home cooking? I'm an at best an amateur.

Or because of my liberal arts degree?
When I graduated I thought I would write reviews for online magazines until I had a portfolio to show one of the newspapers. It was either that or teaching as a profession. Sadly there was more money in insurance and it was an easier career path. I took the path of least resistance.

Most of the restaurant critics here in the printed press are struggling. There might be a handful left who have regular columns or assignments. Opinions from social media, blogs, or influencers dispense de facto judgment to restaurants and chefs now.

People pushing a pram or stroller with a dog in it. Sometimes they exercise and run. Dogs don't run?

Most of the restaurant critics here in the printed press are struggling. There might be a handful left who have regular columns or assignments. Opinions from social media, blogs, or influencers dispense de facto judgment to restaurants and chefs now.
Journalism isn't the career it once was. Still lucrative if you can get the television presenter/''I'm really an actor'' for tax purposes route.

One of my associates brother was a big sports journalist here in the old print media. Use to fly around the globe covering it all. The bottom fell out and he says you can make minimum wage now in what he did, that's it. So he's retrained and working as an operator, shift work, on a chemical plant.

Your career in insurance seems like a very good move to me.

One of my associates brother was a big sports journalist here in the old print media. Use to fly around the globe covering it all. The bottom fell out and he says you can make minimum wage now in what he did, that's it. So he's retrained and working as an operator, shift work, on a chemical plant.

That sounds like that term underemployment.

Sports is definitely not thriving given the number of online/television media outlets grew and print is reducing staff due to lack of circulation and adverts. You typically read general newswire coverage of the game with the odd editorial/opinion for one or two major sports in that market. For secondary sports there is hardly anything beyond the obligatory recap or preview recycled from a general newswire. Sometimes it's not even that.

Sports television channels are trimming too preferring to have broadcasters provide commentary from a booth versus flying them out for away games. The network only focuses on games it bid rights to. For a sport that its rivals have exclusive access to you're lucky to see anything more than score lines.

Your career in insurance seems like a very good move to me.

It pays the bills. We either convince you to purchase because of the marketing and "peace of mind" stories. Otherwise we lobby the government to make it mandatory.

Homeless people during the past seven calendar days.

Homeless person 1 - taking photographs with a dual camera smartphone in front of the Fairmont hotel. I am sure he was not taking it for someone else.

Homeless person 2 - transsexual 'woman' who looks like a roughed up man in lipstick in a knee length dress with another homeless man taking photographs of him posing in front of building

Homeless person 3 - whilst walking through city hall and a courthouse a woman passes by muttering to her baby except I see the baby is a children's toy with a bottle pushed into its mouth. Must have been a toy accessory.

Lack of knowledge in supermarkets of produce that's not in a plastic box with a bar code.

Radish rung up as beets.
Coriander turned into broccoli.
Fennel treated as bok choy.
Spanish onions as yellow cooking onions.

I have to beg this virtual health care app to give me a 90 pill prescription extension every 3 months. I noticed this smoking hot Latina nurse practitioner today and then found out on Google that she works in an aesthetic clinic and I reckon picks up odd shifts to supplement her income?

I thought health care professionals were exhausted and overworked from their day jobs.

I have to beg this virtual health care app to give me a 90 pill prescription extension every 3 months. I noticed this smoking hot Latina nurse practitioner today and then found out on Google that she works in an aesthetic clinic and I reckon picks up odd shifts to supplement her income?

I thought health care professionals were exhausted and overworked from their day jobs.
You missed out the PTSD.

Wearing a mask when there is precipitation outside. Especially those paper masks. It's not more effective when it's soggy yeah.

Homeless people sleeping out on the street in the winter in front of a hotel that the city has bought out at $6600/person to house qualified homeless people.

There is this very annoying oriental woman in this co-working space who drags her feet when she walks. It is amplified by the fact it's winter and she is wearing these heavy snow boots as if she is on an expedition to the Arctic.

I had a boss who used to do that but I tolerated her because she was my boss.

People asking me for directions.

Where is 999 XYZ avenue? ....as we are walking in the middle of an intersection and he has a GPS map on his mobile

Where is ABC street? ...you're going the wrong way, it's over there. Then she continues going the wrong way.

Where is the train station? ...some woman pulls over and gets out of a car to ask me.

Where is the bus station? ...having walked past very visible signs it is east and not west of the rail station.

How do I get to the train that takes me to the airport? ...because clearly I look like I'm travelling by air for the past two plus years or my tie says I'm a pilot.

Is the subway running right now? - as I pass through and exit through the turnstile...no, it is not. I went in and came back out.

Where is the entrance to the law society? - do I look like a lawyer?

And the most beautiful thing yesterday: "Sir, I'm very hungry. Do you have money? A lunch? A meal? Something to eat...I'm so hungry. Can you help?" - I'm hungry too mate. It's 12:30 and I had to take a detour because someone decided to jump on the track again.

Last edited:
Cleaning people who keep using their mobile during their work. After mopping. After cleaning the toilet. After tidying the kitchen. After vacuuming. Are their mobile phones more infected than the average person?

Cleaning people who keep using their mobile during their work. After mopping. After cleaning the toilet. After tidying the kitchen. After vacuuming. Are their mobile phones more infected than the average person?
Can't see why that's odd? I just think they're calling their coworkers or their family.

People staring at their mobile phones in busy pedestrian traffic. As I come up behind them I can tell with a high degree of certainty who is busy staring at their screen versus being aware of their surroundings.

A convention has taken over the city and people for some unbeknownst reason persist wearing their name tags around their neck even outside of convention premises.

Do they want to be robbed? Do they believe we don't speak English and need to read the tag to figure out their name? Do they want to look like a clueless business tourist?

People taking photographs in the middle of busy traffic or during the pedestrian crossing. This was popular when streets were empty during coronavirus but seems suicidal these days.

People taking photographs in the middle of busy traffic or during the pedestrian crossing. This was popular when streets were empty during coronavirus but seems suicidal these days.
Street photography used to be an art form, now the decisive moment can be captured by anyone on their iPhone.

Was at the eldest's school graduation yesterday. Seems to be an absence of grandfathers, I assume they're all dead. Most fathers seem to be my age, quite a few late starters, who look in their late fifties. But as my missus reminds me, they're actually my age or younger.

A couple of the kids mum's have had affairs. One's father burnt on cocaine and whores and dropped dead. Very said story indeed. They were in family therapy trying to get him to the land righteousness, but he couldn't grow out of it, or escape the demons.

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.
I wonder where people get the time and space to turn their iPhone location responder off? I'd get caught at the first whiff of lipstick traces. To me it's all trouble, all you're doing is swapping one lot of aggro for another, or adding more trouble on top.

Maybe they have a platonic marriage where we're just in it for the children sensibilities.

Maybe they have a platonic marriage where we're just in it for the children sensibilities.
The erotic and exotic all become mundane in the end. It all ends up about kids, mortgages, pensions, nice environments, fine wines and dining, with a couple of concerts and decent films thrown in. Can't remember the last time I went to the theater. I did get a play like buzz from the Elvis film though.

So what are you swapping your current predicament for? And all I see is the same old shit, packaged slightly differently, or with some delay before the same old same old hits you in the face.

Old women with tattooes. I don't mean a 40 year old. I mean old women whose skin is looking like leather with fresh tattooes. Why? Post menopause crisis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom