Random Uber stories

Fwiffo

Supporter
Why do brown drivers keep assuming I want to listen to Hindi music? I'm listening to Old Skool - Prem Dhilion. The bass is hammering away at me in between the rapping.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Do you know how some Uber drivers have the turn by turn narration turned on? I'm in a car driven by an Indian person and he has his mobile for Uber rigged to tell him the directions in Hindi English. It doesn't sound like Hank Azaria.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Do you know how some Uber drivers have the turn by turn narration turned on? I'm in a car driven by an Indian person and he has his mobile for Uber rigged to tell him the directions in Hindi English. It doesn't sound like Hank Azaria.
The last few drivers I’ve had haven’t had a fucking clue where they are, where they are going or how to get there. They drive turn by turn with eyes on the phone map. The UBER map is absolute shit. Google map is ok. Last week bloke is looking up Uber maps turn by turn and is taking backstreets and shortcuts and we go in a fucking circle 5 ks extra on a 14 k trip.

Last edited:

ballmouse

Street cabs are the way to go if I can help it. Most can drive to major destinations without a navigation app. And they drive like police don't exist (which I appreciate).

Fwiffo

Supporter
Street cabs are the way to go if I can help it. Most can drive to major destinations without a navigation app. And they drive like police don't exist (which I appreciate).
I use Uber because I am tired of brown, Arab, African and the occasional Eastern European driver going “you want to go where? That’s not far enough for me. Take the next car. Only big fares.”

Or the other issue I still encounter is paying by credit card. “You pay by card? Oh machine is broken today. You have cash? You don’t have cash I drop you in front of machine.”

Fwiffo

Supporter
Nothing like being picked up late by a Latina woman who is dressed and smells like she just finished getting out of the gym.

Amazing waterproof make up that lasted the entire gym session though.

Fwiffo

Supporter
If you ever get Uber in a suburb during the winter, add five minutes to the wait time for arrival because people are often brushing off their cars or shoveling their driveway before they start their vehicle to pick you up.

I had one driver the other day suddenly start singing mid way through a 40 minute ride. He was so enthusiastic he sang ahead of the actual song. Hotline Bling.

Fwiffo

Supporter
First Uber driver I have that is wearing a mask. Unfortunately he also has the window 1/5 open believing winds when travelling at 100km will blow away airborne coronavirus particles. It's 7c outside. I'm bloody freezing here.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Used Uber Eats 5 times in the last 4 days.

3 of them showed up with two people in the front seat. One Romanian with another Romanian bloke. One Chinese with his spouse/partner. One Brazilian with his spouse/partner. What is the thought process? "We're going downtown but wait let's stop off the side of the road to make $10 delivering food and alcohol to a random stranger."

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Parking etc. Most I know of collect a bunch of orders in the area. One driver. one runner/jockey.

Fwiffo

Supporter
I got Uber Eats on Friday and the driver dropped off the wine, salad and bombalone that I wanted. I went back up to the office and headed to the washroom to sanitize before eating. By the time I returned to the lunch room I realised someone was ringing my mobile and Uber Eats cancelled the order. I went on Uber support and told them the order was fine and I received everything.

Some AI or mindless customer support drone then told me - don't worry we won't charge you since you didn't receive your order. I said you don't get it, I *want* to be charged and took a photograph of the wine, salad and pastry for them. 15 minutes later another customer service person said thank you for your honesty but since the computer said you didn't receive the order we won't be charging you.

After I got off work I walked 2km to the restaurant to tell them I want to pay them. They rang Uber and then said they were afraid I might be charged twice if I were to pay them directly since they initiated a dispute with the Uber. Stupidly I brought some cash to give it back in gratuities and realised no one takes cash anymore because of the coronavirus.

I walked the 2km back to the office and finished the bottle of wine.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Wearing a mask...Uber still works but with fewer drivers the surge pricing can be intermittently wild until other cars flock to your area.

$83 to $122 in a matter of 10 minutes.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Just saw a compact UberX car drop off 4 people...yes 4 from the back. No masks. Driver was wearing your disposable blue paper mask.

Brown girl was so wasted the boyfriend had to carry her as she was stumbling.

Top Bottom