Resume, Job Help, & Job/Career Advice

Fwiffo

Supporter
where in those states? and is it the same job with the same pay and benefits?
For the US I don’t know as I didn’t ask my boss. Likely only the VA one is the same title and job. Pay will be higher in the US. I don’t know the pay structure in Europe or Asia.

Other than Chicago nowhere urban. Unless I like wine country or hunting and shooting.

Pimpernel Smith

Although my company has operations in EMEA - this friendly was only responsible for Europe so for me no option for Dubai.

My role becomes regionalised by next summer. Too many of us CxOs around so they want to reduce overhead and have one person for Americas. The subsidiary I am attached to was also struggling financially and because of the current coronavirus rubbish, the friendly hinted we may be looking at offloading underperforming units so I am guessing if I stay in that situation I would be thrown overboard and become a corpse bouncing off the hull. There are only two remaining entities in other lines of businesses in my country and they are too small to ingest someone like me so I was basically told if I want to stay with the group, I need to leave Canada.

I was also advised to check with my boss but I had never considered a post in the US because I assumed my boss would return to Europe one day. I didn't fancy being around when a new regime takes over and I exist only because of the old regime. The choices would be VA, MN, IL, and CA.
I would avoid Dubai unless all other reasonable options fail. Double expensive to have a good time, 9 months of the year it's too hot to go outside and Indianization is in full effect.

Our industry's as bad. I see all my level jumping from one big classification body to the next with 18 months to bring in work that isn't there, or marketing bespoke remote headsets that you can get better off the shelf and then when the 30% profit doesn't come in they're on gardening leave for 3 months and move to the next one. Rinse and repeat. Then you have the slick Indian spivs taking over the pre-eminent body in our sector and turning it into a tick-box Indian visa friendly worker dumbed-down lets coordinate 24 hours from Mumbai fiasco. Utterly demoralizing....unless you're raging against the dying of the light.

Pimpernel Smith

Getting ugly out there in the Dutch oil & gas sector. Layoffs coming thick and fast, departments losing 50% of staff. The requests for ''substantial'' reductions in contract rates. Been here before, but not when rates are already depressed. At least I've got my ''Eco-Solutions'' biomass friendly project division getting a cut of the subsidies. Thanks a bunch, St Greta and noble tax payers!

Fwiffo

Supporter
Getting ugly out there in the Dutch oil & gas sector. Layoffs coming thick and fast, departments losing 50% of staff. The requests for ''substantial'' reductions in contract rates. Been here before, but not when rates are already depressed. At least I've got my ''Eco-Solutions'' biomass friendly project division getting a cut of the subsidies. Thanks a bunch, St Greta and noble tax payers!
Except if you are me and you are stuck with your internals. The externals were already made redundant back in March, and I have a handful left. I already squeezed all the agencies down to $4 or $5 admin fee per head as a 2020 new year's resolution so further rate reductions would hit the external contractor directly. I'd get rid of them but I have a host of internals that can't do these special assignments.

Fwiffo

Supporter
I get so many equivalents to cold calls on LinkedIn I have stopped responding or even accepting new connections. When I do see someone I want to accept I then accept a batch of them. Does anyone respond to random LinkedIn messages?

I do use it to keep in touch with ex work colleagues just to bypass the spam filters of e-mail these days.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
I get so many equivalents to cold calls on LinkedIn I have stopped responding or even accepting new connections. When I do see someone I want to accept I then accept a batch of them. Does anyone respond to random LinkedIn messages?

I do use it to keep in touch with ex work colleagues just to bypass the spam filters of e-mail these days.
No I don’t respond. Why would I if I don’t know them and they are angling for a job? In my case they are from abroad and do not have the qualifications or they are trying to sell something.

Pimpernel Smith

I just get them in my email box. 100's from the Indian sub-continent, scattered all around the globe.

Fwiffo

Supporter
It looks like I'm getting a new boss soon.

Although my boss and boss' boss are still around. I can't really escape their tribe.

Fwiffo

Supporter
I haven't used LinkedIn for months and I have 133 outstanding connection requests. I accept one of them and immediately the person messages back months later. I reckon that has to be a chat bot or something.

I ignored anyone wanting to discuss buying something. I have no money. And in the end just started accepting the women with hot profile photographs. Then one of them says I'm a 36 year old Malaysian professional woman working for XX in YY foreign country.

Who introduces themselves like that in a professional setting?

Fwiffo

Supporter
its all just one form or another of selling yourself. tits or a resume, you're still prostituting yourself in an effort to get money.
We traded a few messages on how we got into our respective industries and then she insisted on taking the conversation to WhatsApp. I said why? She said something about being able to talk due to xyz conditions and I said if I don't go, whose loss is that? She admitted hers. Conversation went silent after that.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
We traded a few messages on how we got into our respective industries and then she insisted on taking the conversation to WhatsApp. I said why? She said something about being able to talk due to xyz conditions and I said if I don't go, whose loss is that? She admitted hers. Conversation went silent after that.
she's a lady of the night

Top Bottom