Resume, Job Help, & Job/Career Advice

so it's money and job title versus toronto social scene
On a whim going to an event just because I'm in the city and I'm close and I can buy last minute
My seasons tickets to footy
Symphonies, operas, theatre...
My once a month alumni dinner
Trying out all the new restaurants...
Dropping by the market at lunch and then making it home early enough that I can do a 4 hour recipe and still sleep before midnight
Happy hour in the financial district
Looking out on to the city from the 25th floor and above
My clubs...and everyone knowing my name there
Karaoke night every Wednesday with the DJ
People watching during rush hour
Going to tastings and foodie events
Randomly bumping into my brother, cousins, people I know from bars and restaurants, waiters/waitresses/bartenders on the street
Seeing the Fairmont lady work her staff and showing up in her lobby
I'm addicted to the energy of being around a lot of people.
I love being in the financial district, entertainment district with generally well dressed people
Hipster neighbourhoods..

Love or money?
as the great poet tina turner once wrote, what's love got to do with it?

Well I'm not going to be boss to my lady friend's sister for the first time in 4 years. I'm going to miss that. I've been taking care of her quite some time. And yeah, my relationship with my lady friend. It's already not in terribly good shape and she took a job 100% on the road. And now I'm going to be on the road too. She's around right now for a bit whilst the firm sets up an office here but she will be back on the road after that. She offered to come work for me after awhile, part-time, which is silly and asinine.

My new employment contract has an 18 month non compete not just restricted to insurers but also financial services firms with no renumeration during that period. Anyone have any idea I can modify that?

I think we’d all agree that missing the regular Wednesday night karaoke would be a major deal breaker for any of us.

Especially when you have your regular slot on the karaoke circuit singing......Like A Virgin or Don't Dream It's Over.

I think we’d all agree that missing the regular Wednesday night karaoke would be a major deal breaker for any of us.

Especially when you have your regular slot on the karaoke circuit singing......Like A Virgin or Don't Dream It's Over.

It's important for me because that's how I know all the top 40 songs so when it comes on the radio or bar or wherever it's easier to relate to women age 20 to 25.

On a whim going to an event just because I'm in the city and I'm close and I can buy last minute
My seasons tickets to footy
Symphonies, operas, theatre...
My once a month alumni dinner
Trying out all the new restaurants...
Dropping by the market at lunch and then making it home early enough that I can do a 4 hour recipe and still sleep before midnight
Happy hour in the financial district
Looking out on to the city from the 25th floor and above
My clubs...and everyone knowing my name there
Karaoke night every Wednesday with the DJ
People watching during rush hour
Going to tastings and foodie events
Randomly bumping into my brother, cousins, people I know from bars and restaurants, waiters/waitresses/bartenders on the street
Seeing the Fairmont lady work her staff and showing up in her lobby
I'm addicted to the energy of being around a lot of people.
I love being in the financial district, entertainment district with generally well dressed people
Hipster neighbourhoods..

Well I'm not going to be boss to my lady friend's sister for the first time in 4 years. I'm going to miss that. I've been taking care of her quite some time. And yeah, my relationship with my lady friend. It's already not in terribly good shape and she took a job 100% on the road. And now I'm going to be on the road too. She's around right now for a bit whilst the firm sets up an office here but she will be back on the road after that. She offered to come work for me after awhile, part-time, which is silly and asinine.
It honestly sounds like you could use a break from this situation.
My new employment contract has an 18 month non compete not just restricted to insurers but also financial services firms with no renumeration during that period. Anyone have any idea I can modify that?
No clue. doghouse doghouse maybe woukd know as he's a big wig.

I understand the social aspect but its not like youre leaving to become an eskimo and live in an igloo. Youll be an hour away for a year and a half. Im sure its managable if itll help you propel your career for the rest of your life.

She offered to come work for me after awhile, part-time, which is silly and asinine.

That is an idiotic idea.

No clue. doghouse doghouse maybe woukd know as he's a big wig.
'

I'm a medium size business owner so I haven't really had to worry about my employment contract. I do what I want to. Our field doesn't really have non compete built in either, so no experience with others.

I understand the social aspect but its not like youre leaving to become an eskimo and live in an igloo. Youll be an hour away for a year and a half. Im sure its managable if itll help you propel your career for the rest of your life.

3 years. It will take 3 years to accomplish anything significant to add to my CV. You're right that it's not that far. Atlanta was further away. London was 3 weeks on, 1 week off.

3 years. It will take 3 years to accomplish anything significant to add to my CV. You're right that it's not that far. Atlanta was further away. London was 3 weeks on, 1 week off.

Why didn't you just live in those places? I'd rather be in London than almost anywhere.

Why didn't you just live in those places? I'd rather be in London than almost anywhere.

I did. I stayed at the company flat which was along the Thames near Tower Hill. I had the luxury of flying home as long as it was economy so it was an easy choice since the flat was rent free.

Maybe it makes more sense if I tell you my boss' boss the VP in Canada took over European operations so I reported back how I was trying to fix his expanded kingdom.

It's always a winner to show longevity and results achieved on a CV and I remember someone telling me the same: don't go anywhere for less than 3 years as you won't get any traction. Then you have the perennial self-employed contractor/consultant who deliberately won't stay around long enough to either declare a full year's worth of accounts, or long enough for their incompetency/degenerate whoring/alcholism to be found out.

It's always a winner to show longevity and results achieved on a CV and I remember someone telling me the same: don't go anywhere for less than 3 years as you won't get any traction. Then you have the perennial self-employed contractor/consultant who deliberately won't stay around long enough to either declare a full year's worth of accounts, or long enough for their incompetency/degenerate whoring/alcholism to be found out.

3 years isn't longevity, that's not even a flash in the pan.

If you haven't been there for a decade you are basically a newcomer. And it takes at least 20 to have clout.

Depends on the industry and your discipline/position/size of the organisation/shareholders, etc. I'm a long stayer and strategic player, so I agree in general to your position.

I signed the offer. Thank you for all the snarky advice gents. I think only Rambo was sincere.

good decision, imo. hard to believe you wouldn't be capable to organize your work-live-balance from being an hour away ..., right?

good decision, imo. hard to believe you wouldn't be capable to organize your work-live-balance from being an hour away ..., right?

It's more the fact I don't fancy driving 100km, don't own a car, and transit is from the city to this place is non-existent. I'm sure if this was the City of London, I could be some bloke taking rail to Ipswich or Portsmouth.

You really should watch Office Space.

"Three company workers who hate their jobs decide to rebel against their greedy boss."

Am I the greedy boss now?

It's more the fact I don't fancy driving 100km, don't own a car, and transit is from the city to this place is non-existent. I'm sure if this was the City of London, I could be some bloke taking rail to Ipswich or Portsmouth.

my bad, I must have missed that fact. never mind. your car allowance should cover some "transit" expenses ...

my bad, I must have missed that fact. never mind. your car allowance should cover some "transit" expenses ...

My mobile is buggered up so I keep working around the broken keys. Yeah it can cover a little over half the Airbnb if I play it out right. Going to start days 1-3 in a hotel though. Figure out the neighbourhood and then set up a system.

Tomorrow's my first day.

In less than 24 hours I'm going to be sitting on the edge of the hotel bed in my BB white shirt, Drake tie and navy blue Corneliani, AE shoes, links and clip that someone special to me got me from France with a simple black leather strap watch waiting to go in like Don Draper.

I'm going to piss a lot of people off because the dress code is casual with a step up to business casual for "important" people and events. I'm going to walk into a hornet's nest like Black Hawk Down except this will be my fifth hornet's nest. The department I take over had one of theirs come up through the ranks for two plus decades and the Americans (ex pat Europeans) and Europeans decided to get rid of him and bring me in.

I'm listening to Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6, 1st movement, and thinking how I got here. How every time I go on one of these assignments and come back, my social circle shrinks. How it almost always feels like I either choose or fall into decisions to sacrifice personal things for work. People on this thread jest, scoff or laugh at my pursuit of advancement, titles and stature that only exist in this organisation of 140,053 people (as of 2017).

My incentives are vested till the end of 2021. I'm in this for 3 years until they pay me out. What will I achieve and at what cost to me? That chapter remains to be written. I know one thing about me though. If I commit to it, I deliver.

Most people were not surprised that I left. The man who hired me and later became CxO here for the Canadian subsidiary unofficially told me he wouldn't want anyone to stay and I got his blessing that it was okay to go and that he thought this was best for me. He was surprised I didn't do it sooner. When hearing about my new role, some people even said they knew I could handle it and I will do well. Was I underemployed all this time as lieutenant to the division?

Right now as the first movement ends, I feel like everyone's lives will go on as usual tomorrow and I took a sharp detour because I wanted the glory. And I wonder whether I will be alone in the journey or when I complete it whether anyone will be waiting for me at the end of it.

It's my last day working & living in the city. There's no going back. As Julius Caesar said in front of the Rubicon, the die is cast.

Tomorrow's my first day.

In less than 24 hours I'm going to be sitting on the edge of the hotel bed in my BB white shirt, Drake tie and navy blue Corneliani, AE shoes, links and clip that someone special to me got me from France with a simple black leather strap watch waiting to go in like Don Draper.

I'm going to piss a lot of people off because the dress code is casual with a step up to business casual for "important" people and events. I'm going to walk into a hornet's nest like Black Hawk Down except this will be my fifth hornet's nest. The department I take over had one of theirs come up through the ranks for two plus decades and the Americans (ex pat Europeans) and Europeans decided to get rid of him and bring me in.

I'm listening to Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6, 1st movement, and thinking how I got here. How every time I go on one of these assignments and come back, my social circle shrinks. How it almost always feels like I either choose or fall into decisions to sacrifice personal things for work. People on this thread jest, scoff or laugh at my pursuit of advancement, titles and stature that only exist in this organisation of 140,053 people (as of 2017).

My incentives are vested till the end of 2021. I'm in this for 3 years until they pay me out. What will I achieve and at what cost to me? That chapter remains to be written. I know one thing about me though. If I commit to it, I deliver.

Most people were not surprised that I left. The man who hired me and later became CxO here for the Canadian subsidiary unofficially told me he wouldn't want anyone to stay and I got his blessing that it was okay to go and that he thought this was best for me. He was surprised I didn't do it sooner. When hearing about my new role, some people even said they knew I could handle it and I will do well. Was I underemployed all this time as lieutenant to the division?

Right now as the first movement ends, I feel like everyone's lives will go on as usual tomorrow and I took a sharp detour because I wanted the glory. And I wonder whether I will be alone in the journey or when I complete it whether anyone will be waiting for me at the end of it.

It's my last day working & living in the city. There's no going back. As Julius Caesar said in front of the Rubicon, the die is cast.

Wow. I am glad you are not going to war or exploring in a far off land.

You would be a nervous wreck.

Sometimes work can be ennobling. Freud said the secret to life was To Love & Work. When asked what was the most important word he said “The and”

Wow. I am glad you are not going to war or exploring in a far off land.

You would be a nervous wreck.
NOTABLE-00038.jpg

Sometimes work can be ennobling. Freud said the secret to life was To Love & Work. When asked what was the most important word he said “The and”

Where's "the" ? It would help me clarify which one is more important.

Good luck Fwiffo.

No one is so brave that he is not disturbed by something unexpected.

- Caesar

Cheers mate. Season 7 episode 3 of mad men.

Fwifs:

Go forth and conquer
for the world is small
and you are the giant
and in every step
you take will make the ground shake
as it rises
to meet you

Fwifs:

Go forth and conquer
for the world is small
and you are the giant
and in every step
you take will make the ground shake
as it rises
to meet you

Did you write a haiku for me? Or is that a limerick?

Just had to do online testing for a job via a company called Revelian - cognitive testing and emotional intelligence testing.

I was most nervous about the cognitive testing as I thought I might be slowing down as I move into middle age. However, I scored 90% on the cognitive testing but only 78% on the emotional intelligence testing.

I was a bit disappointed about the latter but perhaps it's because I'm male, as we do tend to generally be less emotionally aware than women.

Sounds like you were very truthful in your answers. Most people (who aren't sociopaths) guess the answer they are looking for in those EI tests - even if it isn't an honest response.

Just had to do online testing for a job via a company called Revelian - cognitive testing and emotional intelligence testing.

I was most nervous about the cognitive testing as I thought I might be slowing down as I move into middle age. However, I scored 90% on the cognitive testing but only 78% on the emotional intelligence testing.

I was a bit disappointed about the latter but perhaps it's because I'm male, as we do tend to generally be less emotionally aware than women.

I'm old enough to remember when you had to scribe a letter in your hand writing to be assessed for your personality and professionalism. That was a fad back in the mid 1980s.

The EI stuff strikes me as pure thumb in the air best guestimate. It's all derived from the DSM tests for psycho killers. Which can be nuanced to what you expect the employer wants i.e. sales = extrovert type / making invoices = introvert. Or something in-between.

I got a call today from an ex-colleague who's now looking for work and allies. Little did he know, I long suspected his demise in the current position as the company had been advertising for his position for a couple of months. I didn't like to infringe and ask was he still there as he's quite a boring chap with lots of insecurities and now I'm taking him out for drinks and meal and guess I will be picking-up the cheque.

Journeyman, some of that EI stuff is good, some absolute shite and a lot of it is based on current high value placed on overemoting about minor matters. And anyway almost all psychometric testing is suss and at best only used as a basis for discussion .

I’m old enough to remember the handwriting bullshit too. And when evidence of participation in team sports was evidence of a “team player”. Bullshit. Never played sport.

Hobbies:: Reading, Writng, Music and Clothes.
Ask me about that dopey interviewer.

I’m old enough to remember the handwriting bullshit too. And when evidence of participation in team sports was evidence of a “team player”. Bullshit. Never played sport.

Hobbies:: Reading, Writng, Music and Clothes.
Ask me about that dopey interviewer.

Indeed, the lack of being a member of a sport's team was a black mark that you had to find a way around. And there was a time a good golf handicap would open doors like no other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom