Ridiculous Stories In The News

Married man’s death during sex on business trip ruled a ‘workplace accident’

Interestingly, there was a similar decision in Australia a few years back, although it was appealed and I can't remember whether it ended up being upheld.

In essence, a lady was sent on a business trip to a country town. After work, she met up with an old friend and romance flared between them. They adjourned to their hotel room and got down to business, so to speak. During the action, the man pulled a light fitting off the wall during one particularly acrobatic manoeuvre and it hit the lady in the face, injuring her.

She claimed worker's compensation for the injuries that she suffered in the heat of passion and she was initially successful in obtaining compensation as it was decided that the injury was received in the course of a work trip and, were it not for the work trip, she would not have been in that location!

California woman, 29, is arrested after cops spot her struggling to push a baby stroller with $6,000 in stolen quarters inside

If my maths is right (after Googling the weight of a quarter), that's 136kg of coins!

I'm seriously impressed by the carrying capacity of the stroller that she was using. That's about 10 times more weight than a stroller would usually carry!

^That seems like a rather excessive punishment. I can't help but think that if he was a white, middle-aged professional the judge would have let him off with a warning and perhaps a fine.

Then again, if he was a white, middle-aged professional he probably would have managed to be excused from jury service anyway. There are concerns here in Australia that the majority of people sitting on juries are either unemployed or retired and thus aren't really representative of the population as a whole.

^Probably would have been a more effective fighter if those were actually muscles, instead of the bicep equivalent of breast implants.

It's a bit odd, because by saying "I'm on it", it sounds as though people are actually taking meth, rather than trying to take action about the meth problem.

Did they intend to have that ambiguity? It would have been clearer (to me, at least) if the campaign had said "I'm on to it" instead of "I'm on it".

Several years ago, NYC had an education push(I think it was education) and the city(I believe) had posters up on the trains and in the stations.

I believe the tag line was “Get Head”. Didn’t go over well!

It's a bit odd, because by saying "I'm on it", it sounds as though people are actually taking meth, rather than trying to take action about the meth problem.

Did they intend to have that ambiguity? It would have been clearer (to me, at least) if the campaign had said "I'm on to it" instead of "I'm on it".

My guess is that the ambiguity is deliberate t:

1. get attention and start a conversation and

2. Present images of people who don’t fit the stereotypes with the idea that they might me users and this suggest that it is an issue that cuts across the whole community.

Several years ago, NYC had an education push(I think it was education) and the city(I believe) had posters up on the trains and in the stations.

I believe the tag line was “Get Head”. Didn’t go over well!

makes me think of this ...

A10F675C-5DEE-4B43-81C2-2A9365F530F4.jpeg

I thought only China and North Korea could "turn" the Internet off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom