The All-Inclusive Shoe & Boot Thread

I have a dilemma. Some days I wake up and think loafers are not ghey. Then I see a colleague wearing suede Carmina tassels sockless and immediately projectile spew.

We have tassel fiends on DW. New German guy Habanerostram or whatever the fuck his name is a loafer fiend. So is The Shooman The Shooman . I think many of our new Euro friends are too.

I am at least fine with the moccasin style penny loafer being ok. Seems many revered makers have their signature loafer and it is often a penny loafer with apron construction.

JMW 180

1621461937713.png

JL Lopez
1621462127716.png

EG Picadilly
1621462550555.png

Ok. I have a brown suede and a burgundy calf penny loafer. Rarely wear them. But I think I am in the beginning of a shoe cycle after having been in a long boot cycle. And, unlike the last 20 years, after things all re-open, including the corporate office, I will be wearing menswear during the summer. So I have to factor in faggoty footwear even if only to rule it out.

So provide me with some answers.

For instance, horsebit loafers. Yes or no.

Gucci

1621463095462.png

Santoni

1621463060116.png

Not JL (St. James) ewww.

1621463289466.png

Tassels?

G&G. Fruity.

1621463477610.png

JL
1621463725004.png

EG

1621463784950.png

Or just a high vamp loafer without embellishments?

1621463639816.png

EG
1621463892763.png

Belgian?

1621464169796.png

I'm looking forward to your opinion and examples.

Penny loafer is bi. Everything else is a slipper you shouldn’t be wearing out of the house or is as camp as a row of tents.

I like loafers, even though I have none: I wanted to buy a pair of JL Lopez but they don't fit at all my feet (a lot of slippage). Actually a loafer is a supremely casual shoe, which you shouldn't wear in the office, but nowadays the rules are more relaxed and you will see even sneakers. In regard to the models I like the ones shown from JL, EG, G&G and JMW, do not horsebit and Belgian.

Here some nice Gaziano&Girling:

St_Thomas_made_in_espresso_calf_on_the_KN14_last.jpg
St_Tropez_madein_Tobacco_suede_on_KN14_last.jpg
como_side_artistic.jpg
Ashby_side_artistic.jpg
eefca0e412aeeffb6468499c27f210cd--mens-loafers-tassel-loafers.jpg

You could even like the "Crompton":

DGoqnYOWAAA2KEQ.jpg

This is quite more formal, also because of the last:

Bespoke_joyce,_margaux_patina_with_Deco_style_toe.jpg

This is clearly ghey:

Bespoke_ellington_artistic.jpg
Bespoke_Ellington_2_artistic.jpg

Last edited:
I like loafers, even though I have none: I wanted to buy a pair of JL Lopez but they don't fit at all my feet (a lot of slippage). Actually a loafer is a supremely casual shoe, which you shouldn't wear in the office, but nowadays the rules are more relaxed and you will see even sneakers. In regard to the models I like the models shown from JL, EG, G&G and JMW, do not horsebit and Belgian.

Here some nice Gaziano&Girling:

View attachment 38231View attachment 38232View attachment 38233View attachment 38234View attachment 38236

You could even like the "Crompton":

View attachment 38237

This is quite more formal, also because of the last:

View attachment 38238

This is clearly ghey:

View attachment 38239View attachment 38240
The bottom one is clearly for vertically challenged folk. Nothing worse then seeing a grown man in high heels.
Another G&G, gorgeous in suede with greatly matching socks:

View attachment 38242
I would wear them in the right situation.

I have a dilemma. Some days I wake up and think loafers are not ghey. Then I see a colleague wearing suede Carmina tassels sockless and immediately projectile spew.

We have tassel fiends on DW. New German guy Habanerostram or whatever the fuck his name is a loafer fiend. So is The Shooman The Shooman . I think many of our new Euro friends are too.

I am at least fine with the moccasin style penny loafer being ok. Seems many revered makers have their signature loafer and it is often a penny loafer with apron construction.

JMW 180

View attachment 38218

JL Lopez
View attachment 38219

EG Picadilly
View attachment 38220
Ok. I have a brown suede and a burgundy calf penny loafer. Rarely wear them. But I think I am in the beginning of a shoe cycle after having been in a long boot cycle. And, unlike the last 20 years, after things all re-open, including the corporate office, I will be wearing menswear during the summer. So I have to factor in faggoty footwear even if only to rule it out.

So provide me with some answers.

For instance, horsebit loafers. Yes or no.

Gucci

Santoni

Not JL (St. James) ewww.

Tassels?

G&G. Fruity.

JL

EG

Or just a high vamp loafer without embellishments?

EG

Belgian?

Thruth Thruth it is interesting how numerous men are getting into loafers now. I know many who were laceup guys for decades (me included) who have recently done the unmentionable and started enjoying loafers.

Remember Thruth: use your manly instincts when doing a loafer. Forget tassle loafers and thin soled loafers (only certain guys can pull them off....you are far too manly to wear those). Choose a proper manly loafer that isn't too fancy. Follow yoiur instincts and you'll nail it. For example, those first three loafers you pictured:

EG Picadilly
JL Lopez
JMW 180

or that suede G&G loafer posted just above by florisgreen florisgreen

Yes to loafers Thruth Thruth but none of those pointy toe/ really hi-vamp / overly sleek monstrosities.

I don't mind a horse bit but the examples posted are a visual emetic

The first three are nice *further* introduction

Open sesame!

I skipped through this video over lunch and noticed it was my old mate WI Shoeguy. (not shoo-guy...not worthy of the name, but shoe-guy). Proves yet again that he doesn't know what he is talking about. Talks about Corthay being all handmade and perfect attention to detail, when nothing could be further from the truth.

W.I.Shoeguy = shoe level 101.

Still hasn't learned the first lesson that shoes must fit. Continues to buy shoes in large numbers without trying on first. I predict he'll sell many of his shoes when he starts wising up.

I do enjoy his enthusiasm, but l wish he'd start getting smarter. He must be really obsessed because he is not using his common sense and wisdom. He continues making beginner mistakes because he has a silly goal of owning three pairs each of the top 40 luxury shoes. It's all about appearance and goals and NOT fit. I hope he has plenty of spare money to engage in this silliness.

A shoo journey is taken slowly over decades, but so many rush into it without knowing what they are doing. It takes time to get experience and wisdom, but many of these guys still don't understand that.

The poor lad doesn't have a proper mentor. I would be happy to do it, but there would be plenty of tears from him in the process. I'd imagine I would have to raise my voice a lot.

A classic from J.M. Weston, the Mocassin 180:

we114118218010h.jpg

It looks a very wide last, similar to the JL 4395 (Lopez), with a more rounded toe: I can easily imagine it wouldn't fit me because of the very open heel cup.

^
Ok, saddle loafers and penny loafers are bi. If that’s your thing.

Thruth Thruth show us your jodhpur boots again to pray the ghey out of this thread.

Ill throw in a nice pic from Role Club:

CF078725-55C3-4414-A2A5-2B97E0089AE5.jpeg

I'm with fxh fxh on Topy and preventing death on marble or highly polished floors. A bit of moisture and it's easy to blow a wheel when you leather heel goes sliding out from under you.
Likely that is because you are both health policy wonks. In that case I approve (not that anyone cares), because without topies you'd probably be running around wearing helmets 24/7.

I skipped through this video over lunch and noticed it was my old mate WI Shoeguy. (not shoo-guy...not worthy of the name, but shoe-guy). Proves yet again that he doesn't know what he is talking about. Talks about Corthay being all handmade and perfect attention to detail, when nothing could be further from the truth.

W.I.Shoeguy = shoe level 101.

Still hasn't learned the first lesson that shoes must fit. Continues to buy shoes in large numbers without trying on first. I predict he'll sell many of his shoes when he starts wising up.

I do enjoy his enthusiasm, but l wish he'd start getting smarter. He must be really obsessed because he is not using his common sense and wisdom. He continues making beginner mistakes because he has a silly goal of owning three pairs each of the top 40 luxury shoes. It's all about appearance and goals and NOT fit. I hope he has plenty of spare money to engage in this silliness.

A shoo journey is taken slowly over decades, but so many rush into it without knowing what they are doing. It takes time to get experience and wisdom, but many of these guys still don't understand that.

The poor lad doesn't have a proper mentor. I would be happy to do it, but there would be plenty of tears from him in the process. I'd imagine I would have to raise my voice a lot.
On point. I would prefer not to call his demeanour enthusiastic. He seems obsessed. His facial expression and hasty speech remind me of a junkie looking for a fix. What does he want to prove? He is painfully lacking patience and desperately looking for foothold and guidance.

All in all, I must state that he presents a very American behaviour. Breathlessly, our seeker wants to become bigger, better, faster, the greatest. It doesn’t work that way. Maybe he’ll make it to a point of exhaustion soon at which he will realise how wrong he is and repent from his brand worshipping.

Open sesame!

I'm absolutely not a fan of Corthay and in particular of their iconic Arca model, but this one in a decent mole suede is really not disagreeable. The only problem are the purple laces: one doesn't really need to have the laces in contrast, it looks poor and tacky. If you like some bold contrast, you have the socks and the trousers to play with.

Possibly ghey, still rather attractive, a tassel loafer by Mario Bemer:

Screenshot (146).png

So nice in my eyes: a plain, solid, uniform colour without any patina, so trendy nowadays.

Likely that is because you are both health policy wonks. In that case I approve (not that anyone cares), because without topies you'd probably be running around wearing helmets 24/7.
ololololo. Doesn't help that there is snow on the ground for 6 to 7 months. Walk between buildings and slip and slide inside.

Thanks Dropbear Dropbear , florisgreen florisgreen , Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith The Shooman The Shooman , QuandoDio QuandoDio , Panama Panama , and Kingstonian Kingstonian .

Kind of the way I feel in there is not so much beyond the penny loafer style. The tobacco/polo suede G&G is a nice colour. But I'd get other shoes in polo suede before another penny loafer. Sanders Hi Top chukka in polo suede comes to mind.

So I have more than enough loafers with the two pair I have now.
One of my 3 pairs of loafers. Barker Clive. Polished binder. Burgundy polish from Timpsons, UK.
20210521_094013.jpg
20210521_093918.jpg

I'm reading a lot of nonsense in the last pages in regards to loafers.

A loafer made out with the same structure/construction as a lace up or monk is so marginally less formal than those and you can wear them with the same suits you would wear a black captoe. It does not really matter whether they have or not tassels:

image.png

tumblr_mxjn149eto1qfjc32o1_1280.jpg

London-Jermyn-Street-gentleman-The-Journal-of-Style.jpg

London-Pall-Mall-gentleman-The-Journal-of-Style.jpg

Then you have the same loafers as above but with an unlined construction and normally rubber sole. These are fine with most informal suits:

Harrow_061_Dark-Oak_main.jpg

Next down in the scale are probably loafers whose lasts are more suited to casual ensembles, albeit constructed in the same way as the above (HW or GYW). Among these, the Lopez from Lobb and the Eston 180. Wearing them with a suit is not something I would do but it can be pulled it off if you like them:

tumblr_o1f3xc1Z6p1sm95c9o1_1280.jpg

11900144_859641754084190_2792056151599711419_o.jpg

Next down in the scale of formality would be the unlined and lightly soled loafers that I would only wear with classic casual ensembles. Maybe tailored trousers and sportcoat but better with chinos or jeans and a polo instead of a shirt. Maybe the horsebit Gucci here as well. Or the Bass Weejun.

Santoni-Penny-Loafer-CARLOS-dunkelbraun~31112701~back~xy2000zoom.jpg

And further below those Belgian loafers that in reality are slippers made out of leather like the Edward Green Polperro or the Sagan from

2017.06.28.Styleforum.048.jpg

A loafer made out with the same structure/construction as a lace up or monk is so marginally less formal than those and you can wear them with the same suits you would wear a black captoe. It does not really matter whether they have or not tassels:

image.png

View attachment 38285

View attachment 38286

View attachment 38287

Then you have the same loafers as above but with an unlined construction and normally rubber sole. These are fine with most informal suits:

Next down in the scale are probably loafers whose lasts are more suited to casual ensembles, albeit constructed in the same way as the above (HW or GYW). Among these, the Lopez from Lobb and the Eston 180. Wearing them with a suit is not something I would do but it can be pulled it off if you like them:

Next down in the scale of formality would be the unlined and lightly soled loafers that I would only wear with classic casual ensembles. Maybe tailored trousers and sportcoat but better with chinos or jeans and a polo instead of a shirt. Maybe the horsebit Gucci here as well. Or the Bass Weejun.

And further below those Belgian loafers that in reality are slippers made out of leather like the Edward Green Polperro or the Sagan from

Loafers with suits is not something I have done or will ever do. Only with sport coat & trouser combinations. Tassels make me Ill.

No. For many men it won't matter if they wear tassle loafers, but for Thruth Thruth it will matter . Thruth will always be an exception to the rule. He is too manly to pull off tassle loafers.

Yes, loafers with suits can look off because it is too casual, but sometimes men can make it work, but it is not something I would ever do either.

image.png

View attachment 38285

View attachment 38286

View attachment 38287

You are a good spotter of nonsense. Keep it up. Nonsense easily becomes orthodoxy.

Of course there are different opinions about that, all legitimate, but it's undisputed that a loafer is NOT a formal style, and a plain oxford is the most suitable match with a suit. Of course it depends much on the last and colour, whether or not you can "dare" a loafer with a suit: a plain, sleek black one being noticeably more appropriate than a typical cognac penny loafer, possibly in cordovan.
Nowadays we see all sorts of disgraces, like suits with sneakers, but whether it's stylish appropriate, is a different matter.

I've got 4 pair of loafers - if you count driving shoes and Sperrys.

I don't wear them much
1621670363383.png

7A389050-A5E5-47D8-ADB5-7F7F05D5EE08.jpeg

I nearly got a knife pocket added to my engineer boots and am so glad I didn’t. But this is just next level dumb.

‘When Kirby met Crompie’. Reimagined

From the initial joint shoo shining scene

To the disastrous takeaway pizza event.

Not at all gentlemanly.

‘I’m The Daddy now!’

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom