The All-Inclusive Shoe & Boot Thread

^^^

you buy a lot of shoos, how come?

Me? Do you think so? I’d say I average one new pair a year. Some years it might be two or three, but there have been many years of none. I have some that or on their third soles.

If we included flip-flips, old army boots and everything else that fits on the foot I’d still own fewer than ten pairs.

Is that a lot?

As for these shoes: I was a little off put by the strong smell - like glue or solvent. The fit seems fine. A little low on the vamp, but this is my first pair of loafers and I’m guessing that is by design. Will have to try them on properly once I get home, but I may be returning these.

Last edited:
Me? Do you think so? I’d say I average one new pair a year. Some years it might be two or three, but there have been many years of none. I have some that or on their third soles.

If we included flip-flips, old army boots and everything else that fits on the foot I’d still own fewer than ten pairs.

Is that a lot?

As for these shoes: I was a little off put by the strong smell - like glue or solvent. The fit seems fine. A little low on the vamp, but this is my first pair of loafers and I’m guessing that is by design. Will have to try them on properly once I get home, but I may be returning these.

Reading the posts here, you seem to be constantly buying more pairs. I know what it is like, i've lived it. Recently, l got the shoo bug again - considering if l should buy this pair and that pair; l am fighting it because l don't want to become addicted, and l have enough. Been considering some amazing pairs, real BIG daddies. One pair if the biggest daddy ever made.

Reading the posts here, you seem to be constantly buying more pairs. I know what it is like, i've lived it. Recently, l got the shoo bug again - considering if l should buy this pair and that pair; l am fighting it because l don't want to become addicted, and l have enough. Been considering some amazing pairs, real BIG daddies. One pair if the biggest daddy ever made.
I’m a minimalist at heart. While I subscribe to the motto of owning ‘fewer, better things’, I’ll be the first to admit that there are sometimes missteps and learning experiences before I figure out what are the ‘better things’ for me.

(Edit) Like loafers. I wore these for about an hour when I got home. With dress socks, the fit is fine. But I just know that I wouldn’t reach for these most days. I’d either opt for a comfortable boot or a more dressy longwing.

Last edited:
l have enough
We are fortunate, to be in that position.

I’m a minimalist at heart. While I subscribe to the motto of owning ‘fewer, better things’, I’ll be the first to admit that there are sometimes missteps and learning experiences before I figure out what are the ‘better things’ for me.

(Edit) Like loafers. I wore these for about an hour when I got home. With dress socks, the fit is fine. But I just know that I wouldn’t reach for these most days. I’d either opt for a comfortable boot or a more dressy longwing.

My issue is that menswear minimalism, quickly turns into intellectual masturbation like Anton does here https://www.styleforum.net/threads/streamlined-shoe-wardrobe.338954/. Fun, but not that practical in a 3 season climate and a mixed menswear/streetwear wardrobe.
For me it's all about striking a balance between buying good shoes and boots that I like – and will actually use, while not cave into avidity and gluttony.

Last edited:
their last widths:

E - narrow
F - regular
G - wide
H - extrawide
I sent some foot tracings along with my sizes in other brands and Toni seems confident their G width will work for me and that it is equivalent to an EEE in American. Not sure I’m as confident they would fit or willing to mess with an international return if not.

I sent some foot tracings along with my sizes in other brands and Toni seems confident their G width will work for me and that it is equivalent to an EEE in American. Not sure I’m as confident they would fit or willing to mess with an international return if not.
You should ask him if he’s willing to front the return shipping because he’s making the call on this one.

We are fortunate, to be in that position.

My issue is that menswear minimalism, quickly turns into intellectual masturbation like Anton does here https://www.styleforum.net/threads/streamlined-shoe-wardrobe.338954/. Fun, but not that practical in a 3 season climate and a mixed menswear/streetwear wardrobe.
For me it's all about striking a balance between buying good shoes and boots that I like – and will actually use, while not cave into avidity and gluttony.
Points for someone referring to M Anton in 2023

they offer 1 free exchange of size at their cost. not sure it applies to MTO

The Carmina return was easy as they have a NY store I could ship to, so no printing customs declarations. Even though they were made to order, they weren’t ‘custom’, so they covered return shipping which was nice.

With the exception of Rambo, who I suspect may be an acolyte of Ted Kazinski, I’d be willing to bet I own fewer shoes/jeans/suits/sportscoats/hats/watches/anything than nearly anyone here.

Points for someone referring to M Anton in 2023
I think what's perhaps most interesting about that thread is how many of them are struggling to define the appropriate shoe colours to match occasions, rather than focussing on the visual aspect as determined by the colour of the accompanying outfit . One of them tried to make that point, but without success.

Last edited:
Sammy Ambrose Sammy Ambrose _ I tend to the view that the occasion dictates the dress then after that some sort of coherence - which includes occasion, then harmony or discord or slight clash, according to the impression one wishes to convey.

Sammy Ambrose Sammy Ambrose _ I tend to the view that the occasion dictates the dress then after that some sort of coherence - which includes occasion, then harmony or discord or slight clash, according to the impression one wishes to convey.
Occasion matters. But was Mark Thatcher really that out of step when he wore brogues
at some momentous formal event? I'm afraid I forget what the occasion was.

e

Most mid-tier brands either don’t offer a last for extra wide feet or if I am lucky they have one. TLB have given me a lot of options for these chukkas boots!

5BEC7B89-A8C6-46D9-8A55-0D4C7D6A1D80.jpeg
4B460A62-576C-48A4-B571-5702C0F7CF28.jpeg
73629F65-B006-4DA2-8C10-E7DACC6725FC.jpeg
63EC9C74-AD7E-44D7-B74F-669EC011204C.jpeg
65DCE72E-D678-4174-B797-8F19831D0CDA.jpeg
F3600A44-0A22-4A7F-BD3C-C818DD975DC2.jpeg
BAECA15B-40E3-4F37-9892-019ACF298464.jpeg

Want to dress like a grandpa, so I put in a order, for a pair of Vash Norwegers in antique cognac scotchgrain.
I've worn out a pair of C&J Pembrokes, and are switching to these.
Just checked the C&J website. Amazingly, I'm paying 20% less for a new pair of Vass, than a pair of replacement Pembrokes.

I've worn out a pair of C&J Pembrokes, and are switching to these.
Just checked the C&J website. Amazingly, I'm paying 20% less for a new pair of Vass, than a pair of replacement Pembrokes.

Yes, l ordered the C&J sandals a few years ago for about $800; could have special ordered greatly superior Vass sandals for slightly less. Regret it now. C&J sandals are o.k, but not to the shoo standards that l prefer.

btw guys, l am on the hunt for a new shoo for the last few days...wanna make it a good one. Lets see what happens, got two suspects lined up, both are big daddies.

A story

Went for a walk last night with two local blokes. One was puzzled that l wore proper dress shoes on the walk; he said, why don't you wear sneakers, they are so much more comfortable. I said, l don't like sneakers and never wear them, l always wear shoes, it is my style. It went on a bit, and the other bloke said, gee those are good shoes. Both blokes didn't know they were talking to the shooman. :lolguy: :lol

I ordered the TLB chukkas. I don’t really need another casual boot, but I gave up on finding something dressier I liked and the refund from Crapmina came through fast.

ADF89246-F47D-4E2B-A044-25F2EB970790.jpeg

Very similar to this. Same last with the slim waist and same colour suede. I’m getting a Dannite ‘City’ tread on a double mid-sole. The stitch per inch and the finish on the edges on the Arista line is nice, but wasted on a more casual boot.

By turns, more elegant (in the last shape) and more rugged (sole thickness) than the Church’s I’ve liked for so many years.

I was sorry to see the Crapmina not work out but was impressed with their handling of the return. These guys have a great stated policy and so far Toni has been great in answering questions and agreeing to my requests.

How do Goodyear Welted shoes compare with hand-welted shoes in terms of quality and price?

Goodyear welted shoes and hand-welted shoes are both considered high-quality shoe construction techniques. However, hand-welted shoes are generally considered to be the most prestigious and expensive shoe construction method due to their intricate hand-sewn construction.

In terms of price, Goodyear welted shoes are typically more affordable than hand-welted shoes, as they use a machine-sewn welt instead of hand-sewn welting. However, they are still relatively expensive compared to low-quality shoes due to the high-quality materials and craftsmanship that go into their construction.

In terms of quality, both construction methods offer high-quality and durable shoes, but hand-welted shoes are generally considered to be more comfortable and better-fitting due to the...
Chatbot GPT on shoos😄

What does Dropbear post about on the Dressed Well menswear forum and why does The Shooman love Big Daddy shoes?

As an AI language model, I cannot provide information on specific users' posts on Dressed Well menswear forum, nor can I speculate on their preferences or opinions. However, generally, the Dressed Well forum is a place where men can discuss various topics related to fashion, including clothing, style, and grooming. Users share their personal experiences, offer advice and recommendations, and engage in discussions about different aspects of men's fashion.

Regarding The Shooman and Big Daddy shoes, I don't have any information on their preferences. It's possible that The Shooman is simply a fan of the style or the brand, or they may find the shoes comfortable and practical for their needs. As an AI language model, I cannot speculate on any individual...

Very tempted by these brogues. Paul Sargent for Herring. A last that could have been based on the foot of Sammy Ambrose View attachment 46413

Nice pair, l think you should buy them.

I don't see many people in shoes like that anymore. Sammy, we need to keep on being shoo daddies in our neighbourhoods; you are the medium daddy, and l am the big daddy. :problemo:

Last edited:
What does Dropbear post about on the Dressed Well menswear forum and why does The Shooman love Big Daddy shoes?

As an AI language model, I cannot provide information on specific users' posts on Dressed Well menswear forum, nor can I speculate on their preferences or opinions. However, generally, the Dressed Well forum is a place where men can discuss various topics related to fashion, including clothing, style, and grooming. Users share their personal experiences, offer advice and recommendations, and engage in discussions about different aspects of men's fashion.

Regarding The Shooman and Big Daddy shoes, I don't have any information on their preferences. It's possible that The Shooman is simply a fan of the style or the brand, or they may find the shoes comfortable and practical for their needs. As an AI language model, I cannot speculate on any individual...

I spoke about my love for BIG daddy shoos a while ago here. It started from when l was a kid...l had aspirations...l climbed the ladder and was still looking for perfection...l climbed higher and higher and eventually found a shoo that completely satisfies. It is about the comfort, the ride, the looks, the materials and the construction; but it also about the rarity and legend of the maker. I only do BIG daddies these days. Trying to organise some HUGE daddies through some sources, but it is not easy. I only want masterpieces these days, nothing but the best; it has to be handmade.

Some of those AE enthusiasts are a strange people. Here a bloke buys a used AE, and pays a fortune to get it resized and put on a different last. Only scrolled through the video.

Some of those AE enthusiasts are a strange people. Here a bloke buys a used AE, and pays a fortune to get it resized and put on a different last. Only scrolled through the video.

Interesting video for shoe enthusiasts, not only AE nuts. What I like about AE is the thickness of the leather foot bed, which similarly priced Northampton do not have .

I was going to order my dream shoes. Have wanted these for many many years - made by Lattanzi. 90% sure these would fit me, but needed one simple detail to complete the purchase - the length of the insole. Had to ditch a decade or more long dream because the seller is too difficult to deal with.

The lesson = you can't always have what you want. Sometimes ultimate shoo dreams can't be had.

This is the pair l would have bought. Needed to be sure before l bought because l also need a special import licence/permit to get these into Australia...paperwork and phone calls.
Lattanzi alligator derby 1.jpg
This would have gone great with bone trousers and the new sportscoat l am having made. It is Lattanzi's top shoe, made with bentivegna construction and in crocodile. Would have been an amazing scoop, my best scoop ever. There is a return policy, but that is not the point.; if something is going to sell me something they need to be easy to deal with.

Last edited:
I was going to order my dream shoes. Have wanted these for many many years - made by Lattanzi. 90% sure these would fit me, but needed one simple detail to complete the purchase - the length of the insole. Had to ditch a decade or more long dream because the seller is too difficult to deal with.

The lesson = you can't always have what you want. Sometimes ultimate shoo dreams can't be had.

This is the pair l would have bought. Needed to be sure before l bought because l also need a special import licence/permit to get these into Australia...paperwork and phone calls.
View attachment 46423
This would have gone great with bone trousers and the new sportscoat l am having made. It is Lattanzi's top shoe, made with bentivegna construction and in crocodile. Would have been an amazing scoop, my best scoop ever. There is a return policy, but that is not the point.; if something is going to sell me something they need to be easy to deal with.
Yes. Even the very best cordwainers have to realise they are salemen too.

Was it Foo who tried to buy a hand made wallet and/or a Patek watch and was refused as they just thought he wasn’t worthy?

Maybe Messr Latanzi has been reading this thread

Ykeo378jsw.jpg

Bought the first pair of sneakers in >15 years in an addition to my dedicated dad wear wardrobe (now two pieces). Let’s see how long they live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom