The Elite: It's a Big Club and You're Not in it

Tax avoidance isn't a crime in the States. Tax evasion is.

The latest massive leak of financial info, the "Pandora Papers":

"The secret wealth and dealings of world leaders, politicians and billionaires has been exposed in one of the biggest leaks of financial documents.
Some 35 current and former leaders and more than 300 public officials are featured in the files from offshore companies, dubbed the Pandora Papers.
They reveal the King of Jordan secretly amassed £70m of UK and US property.
They also show how ex-UK PM Tony Blair and his wife saved £312,000 in stamp duty when they bought a London office.
The couple bought an offshore firm that owned the building.
The leak also links Russian President Vladimir Putin to secret assets in Monaco, and shows the Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babis - facing an election later this week - failed to declare an offshore investment company used to purchase two villas for £12m in the south of France."

"The secret wealth and dealings of world leaders, politicians and billionaires has been exposed in one of the biggest leaks of financial documents.
Some 35 current and former leaders and more than 300 public officials are featured in the files from offshore companies, dubbed the Pandora Papers.
They also show how ex-UK PM Tony Blair and his wife saved £312,000 in stamp duty when they bought a London office.
The leak also links Russian President Vladimir Putin to secret assets in Monaco, and shows the Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babis - facing an election later this week - failed to declare an offshore investment company used to purchase two villas for £12m in the south of France."
They all do it and the vehicle in the Netherlands to avoid making the top 500 list is to set-up various Trust's to hide your wealth. The plastic surgeons do it through charities as well.

There's also a legal way in the UK and probably other jurisdictions where you can legally hide your directorship and ownership of a business - at least there was in the 2000's. There's Latin term for it, can't remember it now. Came across it, several times, when I was in pre-qualifications. Needless to say, all of those companies were disqualified. But I was completely shocked when I started to dig deep and this lawyer told me ''Yes, we represent individuals who don't want their ownership, or shareholding in a business made public...''

Very curious how there isnt a single person from the US or Canada

There's also a legal way in the UK and probably other jurisdictions where you can legally hide your directorship and ownership of a business - at least there was in the 2000's. There's Latin term for it, can't remember it now.

Shell companies? Still very popular in the UK and an entirely legal way to obfuscate who owns a company and thus holds a company's assets.

Here is an excellent (but lengthy) article on the practice:

r8oqkd49rpr71.jpg

Shell companies? Still very popular in the UK and an entirely legal way to obfuscate who owns a company and thus holds a company's assets.

Here is an excellent (but lengthy) article on the practice:

This was something slightly different, legitimate companies - kind of - but when it came to identifying the shareholders they directed you to lawyers in the UK who would tell you straight what it was about - those who wanted to hide their identity as an owner or shareholder.

But as you posted, the UK is the home for all of this stuff...and the Italians love it for some reason.

There's a lock-up in Leeds - a garage - that has 100's and 100's of companies domiciled there. Perfectly legal. I saved the details somewhere, but couldn't find it, but if I find again it I will post it.

As it happens, over the weekend, our Houston office contacted me with an email from an ''engineering consultancy'' based in Aberdeen looking for collaboration. An Italian chap - working for all my competitors (allegedly, but could well be true) - and within 2 minutes of searching the equivalent of whatever Companies House is today, both he and his father has had several companies over the last decade who have been registered and never posted any accounts at all. Dormant companies based in the UK from Italians not living there.

this is an interesting contrast

Dare to dream. American exceptionalism par excellence.

really reinforces the title of this thread

Yes, indeed.

This is a big reason why even poorer people (who often don't pay any net tax) vote for the party that says they'll cut tax, or won't raise taxes. Just about everyone thinks (or fools themselves) that maybe not now, but one day, they'll be earning enough to take advantage of those tax cuts.

"A spokesman for the mayor confirmed the plan to reporters, with Mr Bezos set to foot the bill through Oceanco.

Reports emerged in Dutch media on Tuesday that the middle section of the Dutch city's bridge, known locally as De Hef, would be temporarily removed to allow the 130ft (40m) high boat to sail through.

The move is controversial because the steel bridge has a long history, and is now a national monument. It previously went through a major renovation which saw it out of action from 2014 to 2017, when officials said it would not be dismantled again."

But for the right price...we'll do anything for you Mr. Bezos.

"A spokesman for the mayor confirmed the plan to reporters, with Mr Bezos set to foot the bill through Oceanco.

Reports emerged in Dutch media on Tuesday that the middle section of the Dutch city's bridge, known locally as De Hef, would be temporarily removed to allow the 130ft (40m) high boat to sail through.

The move is controversial because the steel bridge has a long history, and is now a national monument. It previously went through a major renovation which saw it out of action from 2014 to 2017, when officials said it would not be dismantled again."

But for the right price...we'll do anything for you Mr. Bezos.
Disgusting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom