The Football/Soccer Thread

Ryan Owens

Chelsea have a complete transfer embargo, their best player has just left, and their owner is not allowed in the country. Lampard is a good appointment for them as he was never going to bring immediate success but that's ok because nobody could have.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Chelsea have a complete transfer embargo, their best player has just left, and their owner is not allowed in the country. Lampard is a good appointment for them as he was never going to bring immediate success but that's ok because nobody could have.
Not allowed in the country? Did I miss something?

If nothing was expected of him then why not keep Sarri. At least we won something. Manager of Chelsea is always a poison chalice.

Kingstonian

Start of season. Brentford caught napping and lose to Birmingham despite have far more shots on target and dominating possession. Two major players who are transfer targets not even on the bench and new signings too recent to play.

Swift couple of beers in the Magpie then on to The Brook, which used to be the Royal Oak and is now under new management

Fwiffo

Supporter
I was surprised Arsenal got a win. Not surprised Raheem Sterling scored a hat trick on hapless West Ham.

Fwiffo

Supporter

"A proposed takeover by Football Ventures (Whites) Limited appeared to have collapsed on Saturday. Bolton's administrators have warned they are on the brink of liquidation."

I thought it was just yesterday that Kevin Davies was playing for this club.

Kingstonian

Founder members of The Football League, with a longer pedigree than Liverpool, the Manchester clubs, or the London clubs. Glory days in the FA Cup with Nat Lofthouse before the Cup was devalued by Ferguson and TV money. Sad.

Kingstonian

Bury FC kicked out of Football League for amounts that would only fund a Premier League player for a few months.

Bury won the FA cup twice when it was the trophy every club wanted.

Fwiffo

Supporter
I'm sure the influx of foreigners into the league doesn't help with making the FA Cup relevant.

Kingstonian

I'm sure the influx of foreigners into the league doesn't help with making the FA Cup relevant.
It does not matter what foreigners think. It was one of the key sporting events in England - the climax of the season.

However the old powers that be were probably correct about avoiding foreign competition like the European and World Cups.

I would be happy with a proper Cup Final and reinstatement of the home internationals. Reasonably priced League football would be an added bonus.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Will Liverpool win the league? Hasn’t that question been asked every year and the answer has been consistently the same?

Fwiffo

Supporter
Last home fixture for my hometown club. It will take a miracle or two for us to host one playoff game. Very rarely I am even sporting a supporter scarf along with my usual blazer. 18c and 1600 kickoff.

Fwiffo

Supporter
“It is Manchester United's worst start to a season for 30 years.
The club are 12th in the Premier League, with nine points from eight games. They have not won away from Old Trafford in domestic competition since February and have failed to score more than one goal in any game since the 4-0 opening-day hammering of Chelsea. United will spend the next two weeks sitting an uncomfortable two points above the relegation zone.”

Fwiffo

Supporter
When my hometown club gets all 3 points today we will send Wayne Rooney into MLS retirement.

Fwiffo

Supporter
I was at Rooney's final MLS game where he captained DC United. His side drew at the death of injury time from his corner kick which forced the game into extra time. We went up by multiple goals after 90' and at one point his side cleared it over to our end and Rooney was the lone player on the other half of the pitch. There was only one player from my club running back for the ball. It was a 50/50 chance and I literally saw Rooney pull up on his run and let us have the ball. Subsequently he was subbed off and to no one's surprise skipped facing the journos after the game. How do you stop running no matter the scoreline when you wear the captain's armband?

Fwiffo

Supporter
4 days after sending Rooney into retirement, we take down the top of the Eastern table. Philadelphia/Atlanta we're coming for you next.

Last edited:

Fwiffo

Supporter
Whilst the rest of the world will be enthralled with Liverpool vs City, I will be cheering for my hometown club so they can add another star.

Fwiffo

Supporter

We’re unbeaten in thirteen in the league. We won against Columbus and broke their five game unbeaten streak to get into playoffs. We sent Rooney into retirement and scored 5 on a DC United side that had five straight clean sheets. We beat NYCFC with 3 days rest compared to their 2 weeks who were top of the table in the east. We beat last year’s champions in Atlanta where they won in 2018. One more to go.

Kingstonian

Fwiffo

Supporter
High maintenance manager, no longer guaranteed to deliver success, goes to a club with a notoriously parsimonious owner. We will soon see how that works out.
It's Mourinho. There are a lot of Spurs players he can buy and sell with.

Whatever is bad for the Spurs is good for my Gunners.

Kingstonian

Nothing like British football journos using language like put Silva out of his misery to make things lively.
Everton have some really difficult fixtures in the next few weeks. Premier League managers know they are under pressure to deliver results. They are very well rewarded when they do get sacked though.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Everton have some really difficult fixtures in the next few weeks. Premier League managers know they are under pressure to deliver results. They are very well rewarded when they do get sacked though.
Yeah I read that. Mourinho having a honeymoon with the Spurs though. Now only time when Arsenal sack Emery.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Emery sacked. I never thought whomever succeeded Wenger would last long. Almost like a caretaker manager to be honest.

Again Eddie Howe is linked to this opening. The man must be aching to leave as he's linked with every club in top flight who has an opening.

Fwiffo

Supporter
What was more depressing? Everton thrashed in a derby with Liverpool. united’s Rashford diving for a penalty to get 3 points against a Mourinho led Tottenham side or the Wolves scoring a brace against West Ham.

walker

hey Fwiffo what is your prediction for the away leg for liverpool against salzburg in the champions league group phase?

Kingstonian

Brentford 7 Luton 0 last Saturday.

I felt sorry for Luton.

A group of Germans in the crowd. Their first game at Griffin Park. The bloke next to them welcomed them and asked them to return as they were good luck. Not the sort of tourists that you see at Old Trafford or The Emirates. So I don’t mind them.

Top Bottom