The Football/Soccer Thread

I was chatting someone last night and apparently my idea of the "Golden Generation" for England footballers is quite different from others.

So Italy in the final. The most disgusting cheats in the world and they handed that mindset on to other nations like Argentina with significant Italian populations.

Here is the late great David Coleman on Chile v Italy in the 62 World Cup.

1625767530920.jpeg
Suck it, grandpa.

The Danes played well, and if Schmicheal hadn't have tried to catch the ball rather than bat it away Kane wouldn't have scored. But England ran Denmark ragged, they were finished after 60mins and played that last 15min with only 10 men on the field. They were lucky it was 2-1 to be honest.

Played well though.

That is what half a century of not even getting close to winning something gets you. In general appalling fan behavior, that’s just the icing on the cake. Thankfully Italy is going to end that on Sunday.
More Anglophobia I see...

You really do have a problem with the English, don't you?

No, just with sore losers. Just like UEFA, which just fined the FA for the appalling behavior of their fans.
The last thing that could be leveled at the English Football Team is that they are sore losers. Fans? They're always sore losers wherever they come from.

They tempted fate when Boris said he would create an extra bank holiday if England won.

It was doomed from there on in...
The best team on the night won. England didn't maintain their initial momentum.

However, how Chellini and Jorghino stayed on the field I don't know. Disgraceful tackles.

However, how Chellini and Jorghino stayed on the field I don't know. Disgraceful tackles.

I don't know if it was the best team but I never doubted England's ability to choke on penalties.

I only watched the penalties, so can't comment on the rest of the game. My kids watched it and where supporting England, of course.

I'm not a football fan. In fact, I have zero sports IQ when it comes to hand-eye-coordination and tactics. It's all lost on me. All those ball games bore me and not only because I am totally useless at them.

But I wanted England to win big time, but as I said, once they started talking about extra bank holidays, after an 18 month one, I just thought this is ridiculous and it's going to put more stress on the players in a penalty situation. As came to pass.

Prince William and Kate looked very displeased at the end.

I only watched the penalties, so can't comment on the rest of the game. My kids watched it and where supporting England, of course.

I'm not a football fan. In fact, I have zero sports IQ when it comes to hand-eye-coordination and tactics. It's all lost on me. All those ball games bore me and not only because I am totally useless at them.

But I wanted England to win big time, but as I said, once they started talking about extra bank holidays, after an 18 month one, I just thought this is ridiculous and it's going to put more stress on the players in a penalty situation.

Prince William and Kate lucked very displeased at the end.
England started very well, scored in the first 2mins (fastest goal in a final) and continued to play well, and was the best team in the first half. Italy came out after half time and bossed the game in the 2nd.

Good game allround.

Confused with the vitriol against putting Bukayo Sakayo on for the deciding penalty but honestly if you put half of the veterans on they would miss the net altogether. All this rating individual skill for premiership players is a load of bollocks.

This where the scummy elements of good ole England comes up ( and luckily, there are a minority), but Rashford, Saka, Sancho and even Sterling (England's player of the tournament) have been racially abused and of course reports of pockets of violence by the yobbos.

I agree with Pimpy, when Bozo and other opportunistic politicians came aboard the hype train trying to ingratiate themselves with the 'commoners', the wheels were about to come off this ride.

Still, good game all round.

There was a survey here. 95% cheering on Italy. Mostly due to the treatment of our fans at Wembley, booing under the anthem and lasershow during the game.

Now, seeing the reactions again from the english fans.. well.. honestly it feels great.

Last edited:
As Blas de Lezo said once;

“Every good Spaniard should always face England when urinating.”

We Spaniards don't like Italians (tassoti's elbow) we have a record of losing against them but I think we like England less.

For a couple of fotball forums I follow the majority of support was pro Italy.

As Blas de Lezo said once;

“Every good Spaniard should always face England when urinating.”

We Spaniards don't like Italians (tassoti's elbow) we have a record of losing against them but I think we like England less.

For a couple of fotball forums I follow the majority of support was pro Italy.
Also here in Germany much support for Italy.

But why is England so hated?

I feel instead sympathy and style affinity with the people over there. I also much regret their decision to get out of the EU.

Also here in Germany much support for Italy.

But why is England so hated?

I feel instead sympathy and style affinity with the people over there. I also much regret their decision to get out of the EU.
I wouldn't call it hate, but I was surprised to see so many people supporting Italy. We Spanish we have a record of losing against Italy not in football but also basketball or any group port so i thought support for England was higher

What is true is that we consider English to be sore losers.

For us Argies this was a glorious weekend. First we won the Copa America against Brazil, and the we saw our Italian brothers beat England.

Why this grudge against England?
Most of it is, I suspect, because of their fans. They've been rampaging for years. Some of it, also because of the English press who seem to think because we invented and codified the game that we have a god-given right to win it. So there's a perceived arrogance aspect to it. This infects other sports too. We invented quite a few of them. Some of it is simply anglophobia.

However, there is a huge difference between the behavior of the team and the behavior of the fans. The England football team has always conducted themselves well both on and off the field. They are probably one of the most sporting teams acknowledged way back by Maradona of all people.

There was a survey here. 95% cheering on Italy. Mostly due to the treatment of our fans at Wembley, booing under the anthem and lasershow during the game.

Now, seeing the reactions again from the english fans.. well.. honestly it feels great.
What happened to your fans?

Booing/whistling of national anthems is not exclusively an English phenomenon. Most, if not all do it.

And of course there are also fair and mannered fans.
There are, but there are too many idiots and unfortunately, they get all the press, and rightly so. The scenes at Wembley last night may also be viewed negatively with regards to England World Cup bid 2030 (?)

England has a problem with drunken yobs (not just football) ask the Spaniards and Greeks, but how to solve a problem like that when the drinks industry plays not an insignificant part in your economy, is a conundrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom