The Football/Soccer Thread

This where the scummy elements of good ole England comes up ( and luckily, there are a minority)....
They are a minority and it's shame their behaviour shames everyone, but I am not convinced those racists on Twitter are football fans. My understanding of present day English football, which is limited I admit, is that the racists were a spent force and well expelled from the game? But not all the yobs and hooligans. Now they're equating the booing of taking the knee, with racist abuse. That fits the narrative, but it isn't quite true. There are legitimate reasons to be against taking the knee.

Now it's all about racism and not the game.

Also here in Germany much support for Italy.

But why is England so hated?
There was a time when England was not so hated, Malta use to always give top marks to the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest.

The Brits would still be in the EU, if Cameron hadn't returned from his meeting with Merkel as a chinless wonder with nothing to show. Had he come back with some commitment to reform from within, the UK would still be in the EU. It was kismet Hardy and was always going to be this way. Sadly, for the EU.

Nobody likes them because they have the worst supporters. Usually the dislike doesn’t really come out because they go home so early, so maybe you haven’t noticed.
Ex-England player John Barnes was being interviewed yesterday and he was absolutely vociferous in pointing out that England was the most hated nation in Europe and rightly so in his estimation. It was nothing to do with marauding rioting fans, uncouth and the worse ambassadors you could wish for, no he brought it down to the likes of Winston Churchill, the empire, the white English of all classes having a superiority complex and the only reason the Brits were engaged in ending the slave trade is that they had sucked the slaves dry and they didn't need their blood anymore to support the industrial revolution which was built on the back of black slavery. So nothing to do with as you correctly state ''the worst supporters.'' At least a very nasty minority, but significant enough to be a blight on the national reputation.

As for John Barnes, he's come a long way since his Lucozade adverts.
Most of it is, I suspect, because of their fans. They've been rampaging for years. Some of it, also because of the English press who seem to think because we invented and codified the game that we have a god-given right to win it. So there's a perceived arrogance aspect to it. This infects other sports too. We invented quite a few of them. Some of it is simply anglophobia.

However, there is a huge difference between the behavior of the team and the behavior of the fans. The England football team has always conducted themselves well both on and off the field. They are probably one of the most sporting teams acknowledged way back by Maradona of all people.
Certainly, Gary Lineker made out it was a done deal the English would crush the Italians who hadn't lost a match for what was it 33 matches? Wilful naivety.

I think the English players taking off their runners up medals as soon they had been awarded in defiance, was poor loser syndrome in action. It looked like childish sour grapes. You can criticise the fans, but we also need to criticise the players. I would anyway, but I'm not a football fan. This team wasn't that gracious in defeat.

The sport of the lower orders in the UK, with some exceptions now with the corporate boxes and the pay of footballers, and the cost of season tickets, remains football. The underclass in the UK are a pretty brutalized bunch from the homes they live in, the sink estates of their immediate environment and the culture. Until that is resolved, the gulf between them and the rest of the Brits will a universe away.

now here are some good scottish fans cheering englands loss

Scotland has chips on both shoulders.

good fair and mannered lads, those brits
A lot of that has come from abroad, much of it from the US.

Last edited:
They are a minority and it's shame their behaviour shames everyone, but I am not convinced those racists on Twitter are football fans. My understanding of present day English football, which is limited I admit, is that the racists were a spent force and well expelled from the game? But not all the yobs and hooligans. Now they're equating the booing of taking the knee, with racist abuse. That fits the narrative, but it isn't quite true. There are legitimate reasons to be against taking the knee.

There was a time when England was not so hated, Malta use to always give top marks to the UK in the Eurovision Song Contest.

The Brits would still be in the EU, if Cameron hadn't returned from his meeting with Merkel as a chinless wonder with nothing to show. Had he come back with some commitment to reform from within, the UK would still be in the EU. It was kismet Hardy and was always going to be this way. Sadly, for the EU.

Ex-England player John Barnes was being interviewed yesterday and he was absolutely vociferous in pointing out that England was the most hated nation in Europe and rightly so in his estimation. It was nothing to do with marauding rioting fans, uncouth and the worse ambassadors you could wish for, no he brought it down to the likes of Winston Churchill, the empire, the white English of all classes having a superiority complex and the only reason the Brits were engaged in ending the slave trade is that they had sucked the slaves dry and they didn't need their blood anymore to support the industrial revolution which was built on the back of black slavery. So nothing to do with as you correctly state ''the worst supporters.'' At least a very nasty minority, but significant enough to be a blight on the national reputation.

Certainly, Gary Lineker made out it was a done deal the English would crush the Italians who hadn't lost a match for what was it 33 matches? Wilful naivety.

I think the English players taking off their runners up medals as soon they had been awarded in defiance, was poor loser syndrome in action. It looked like childish sour grapes. You can criticise the fans, but we also need to criticise the players. I would anyway, but I'm not a football fan. This team wasn't that gracious in defeat.

The sport of the lower orders in the UK, with some exceptions now with the corporate boxes and the pay of footballers, and the cost of season tickets, remains football. The underclass in the UK are a pretty brutalized bunch from the homes they live in, the sink estates of their immediate environment and the culture. Until that is resolved, the gulf between them and the rest of the Brits will a universe away.

Are you awright Pimpy? Has someone hacked your account? Have a breather :)

I can assure you that our fellow Europeans don't hate us because of Slavery. The Africans and Asians possibly yes, but not our fellow Europeans for if they did, they would be exhibiting an extraordinary lack of self-awareness...but...then again some of the shit I've read on Twitter

Our fellow Europeans hate us for other reasons but not enough to refuse our £s. Always remember that! <chuckle>

It's worse in eastern Europe and down in the south.
Southgate threatened to walk the players off the field in Bulgaria because of the shit the players took from the crowd. But that never gets mentioned it's only England that suffers this problem.

How many black players have you seen playing for the Spanish, the Italians, the Germans, the other European national teams with the exception of the French and Dutch? Not many...but that never gets mentioned.

How many fans have been killed in football violence in Italy? But that never gets mentioned.

I have a friend who has been all over the world watching football and has written a book about it The stories he tells...

Don’t worry rest assured that outside of football no one ever talks about England.

You sound like you're talking about my mate from Dagenham.

How many black players have you seen playing for the Spanish, the Italians, the Germans, the other European national teams with the exception of the French and Dutch? Not many...but that never gets mentioned

I remember watching a game with my old German boss over here and the manager made a substitution with a visible minority player and he clapped and said his name and then remarked "Yeah because he obviously looks German." I struggle to remember who but it wasn't one of the Turkish players so probably mixed race.

How many black players have you seen playing for the Spanish, the Italians, the Germans, the other European national teams with the exception of the French and Dutch? Not many...but that never gets mentioned

you dont really watch much football, do you?

Are you awright Pimpy? Has someone hacked your account? Have a breather :)

I can assure you that our fellow Europeans don't hate us because of Slavery. The Africans and Asians possibly yes, but not our fellow Europeans for if they did, they would be exhibiting an extraordinary lack of self-awareness...but...then again some of the shit I've read on Twitter

Our fellow Europeans hate us for other reasons but not enough to refuse our £s. Always remember that! <chuckle>
I'm trying to understand the hate, I can understand from EU apparatchiks, Scot Nats and those who wish to impose a modern Continental System against us, but Ian Barnes? That was some rant on Talk Radio of his. It's almost contrived as if there is some reward in denigrating the country he was once so proud to represent.

There is mischief at work here.
Don’t worry rest assured that outside of football no one ever talks about England.
You and I know that's not quite true. There will always be an England and we will always project soft cultural power around the globe.
You sound like you're talking about my mate from Dagenham.
Perchance that's Dagenham Dave?

I'm trying to understand the hate, I can understand from EU apparatchiks, Scot Nats and those who wish to impose a modern Continental System against us, but Ian Barnes? That was some rant on Talk Radio of his. It's almost contrived as if there is some reward in denigrating the country he was once so proud to represent.

There is mischief at work here.

You and I know that's not quite true. There will always be an England and we will always project soft cultural power around the globe.

Perchance that's Dagenham Dave?

You need to stop listening to those dickheads to whom every problem of modern Britain boils down to the legacy of the British Empire. It's a failure of imagination on their part.

Oh, and stop quoting Mozza too ;)

I watched every single game of the Euros.
Germany won the 2014 World Cup with 11 out of 23 players being immigrants

While immigrants play in both Italian as well as Spanish leagues, they tend to represent their national squads for the Euro or the World Cup.

Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands and France have have heavy reliance on immigrants in their national teams for at least 15 years, and that’s off the top of my head, happy to come back with numbers tomorrow.

Germany won the 2014 World Cup with 11 out of 23 players being immigrants

While immigrants play in both Italian as well as Spanish leagues, they tend to represent their national squads for the Euro or the World Cup.

Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands and France have have heavy reliance on immigrants in their national teams for at least 15 years, and that’s off the top of my head, happy to come back with numbers tomorrow.
I specifically mentioned Black players, I also specifically mentioned national teams not club teams. I know European club teams are chock full of foreign players from all over the place.

Messi ain't Spanish and Aguero ain't Mancunian.

I would be interested in looking at the data though.

I specifically mentioned Black players, I also specifically mentioned national teams not club teams. I know European club teams are chock full of foreign players from all over the place.

Messi ain't Spanish and Aguero ain't Mancunian.

I would be interested in looking at the data though

I am not sure what your point is. For the countries you mention, black population is not as large. For instance, Spain doesn’t have a particularly large black population, about 2m in all. Plenty of black players in La Liga, they happen to be foreigners.

I am not sure what your point is. For the countries you mention, black population is not as large. For instance, Spain doesn’t have a particularly large black population, about 2m in all. Plenty of black players in La Liga, they happen to be foreigners.
It's about 1.9m in England.

Again, I accept that the leagues are diverse.

It's about 1.9m in England.

Again, I accept that the leagues are diverse.

still not sure what your point is.

Diversity is diversity - you are pushing an argument that rests on the expectation of the same type of diversity across all European national teams, regardless of all other underlying socio-economic factors. I’ve pointed to you that a large number of these teams are indeed diverse.

Then they wonder why the rest of the Europe don't like them....

If this sort of attitude, Rule Britannia et all

Like the thousands of British living in the Costas for over 20 years, voting Brexit yes, not bothering to regularize the situation in the country to find out afterwards that the they have the same rights and obligations that citizens from ............... Zambia.

and that now they cant' drive any more a car in Spain/Portugal, etc, or stay in the country for only 90 days out of 180.

Then they wonder why the rest of the Europe don't like them....

If this sort of attitude, Rule Britannia et all

Like the thousands of British living in the Costas for over 20 years, voting Brexit yes, not bothering to regularize the situation in the country to find out afterwards that the they have the same rights and obligations that citizens from ............... Zambia.

and that now they cant' drive any more a car in Spain/Portugal, etc, or stay in the country for only 90 days out of 180.
If they've been in the Costas for over 20 years they wouldn't have been able to vote in the Brexit referendum.

My experience of expat residents here, France, Germany and in Spain is that they're all very much pro-EU and anti-Brexit.

Wouldn't the clever Brits have taken residency?

The thing with the Brits is that they're quite disinterested in what other nations think of them. They understand the French hate them for the favour of saving them in WWII and there's other sleights to the continentals that the Brits really couldn't care less about. They're quite disinterested in other things too.

Appears most of the online racist hate after the match came from abroad and a very small number from the UK, hardly indicative that English football fans have a racism problem:

They wouldn't have. He's talking bullshit.
who is taking bullshit?

https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/non-resident-spain-937220/ 14 years living in Spain and not bothering to register as legal resident in Spain
https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/end-expats-want-move-uk-spain-post-brexit-936294/ this one thinks that because he is British and comes to holidays in Spain he should be treated differently.
https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/non-resident-spain-937220/page3/#post12976384 100,000 brits didnt bother to register and are now living non legally in Spain
https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/under-radar-afraid-some-very-afraid-937724/#post12985994 another example.

this is after 10 minutes in a forum i can spend another 10 in the french or italian forum that is full of similar examples

but what does the English press say

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/polit...0.1460901800.1626282421-1745984890.1626282420 one couple 5 years in Spain and another 2 years

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/brits-forced-home-spain-due-23834636 this one thought he could be in Spain without a residence permit because he is british

who is taking bullshit?

https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/non-resident-spain-937220/ 14 years living in Spain and not bothering to register as legal resident in Spain
https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/end-expats-want-move-uk-spain-post-brexit-936294/ this one thinks that because he is British and comes to holidays in Spain he should be treated differently.
https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/non-resident-spain-937220/page3/#post12976384 100,000 brits didnt bother to register and are now living non legally in Spain
https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/under-radar-afraid-some-very-afraid-937724/#post12985994 another example.

this is after 10 minutes in a forum i can spend another 10 in the french or italian forum that is full of similar examples

but what does the English press say

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/polit...0.1460901800.1626282421-1745984890.1626282420 one couple 5 years in Spain and another 2 years

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/brits-forced-home-spain-due-23834636 this one thought he could be in Spain without a residence permit because he is british
You are

You said:

'Like the thousands of British living in the Costas for over 20 years, voting Brexit yes [...]'

If you had lived abroad for more than 15 years you were ineligible to vote in the Brexit referendum.

You are

You said:

'Like the thousands of British living in the Costas for over 20 years, voting Brexit yes [...]'

If you had lived abroad for more than 15 years you were ineligible to vote in the Brexit referendum.

Choice cuts:

1626291721990.png

1626291747533.png

Ok, maybe some football in the football thread.🤷‍♂️

We had a midweek game last night in a far flung suburb and the facilities were fantastic. Lovely flat pitch and really first class lighting. Our boys lost but the best thing was the host club were really lovely to deal with. Made us feel welcome, were happy and respectful and their players played with respect as well.

You are

You said:

ok, I will reformulate 🙂

Like the thousands of British living irregularly in the continent for the past 20 years and with legal residence in UK and that were pro Brexit supporters that have found that their status quo was no longer valid that they have to 1) return to Blighty 2) live irregularly in Spain with risk of deportation if found out 3) Apply for an Irish passport so they could stay in the Continent.

In other news, Gareth Bale, man of glass, back to Real Madrid after his loan to Spurs is up.

Olympic football starts. Nice to have something to watch but it's an awful tournament. They should replace it with futsal.

I thought Messi was willing to take a pay cut and stay with Barcelona. I guess that didn't work out and now Barca loses him for free.

I thought Messi was willing to take a pay cut and stay with Barcelona. I guess that didn't work out and now Barca loses him for free.
He's a wonderful player, but if he hadn't been such a greedy, money-grubbing c*nt he'd probably have finished his career there (may still do if a 'deal' can be worked out!) and therefore wouldn't share some of the responsibility for his 'beloved' club's near bankruptcy...

Let him go to the retirement home that's the MLS or Paris...

It’s a little bit more nuanced than that.

Barca was in serious trouble before Covid provided the coup de grace. Real Madrid is another basket case. There is a reason that these 2 clubs along with Juve were amongst the main drivers for the Super League. I think Real is still banging on about it.

Where is he going to go? I can't see him coming to the Premier League, at 34 years old they don't need him. The MLS? That's a retirement home and doesn't provide anywhere near the quality of football needed to keep a player of Messi's calibre in tip-top condition, he needs European football for that. Ditto China.

I can only see Paris. However, I can see some twisting of arms occurring with La Liga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom