The Formula 1 Thread

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
fxh fxh , you down at the race this weekend?

I feel another season of Mercedes dominance.

Us yanks have a team on the grid too.

Yeah I'm not a fan of it myself. They are considering going back to the old format.

fxh fxh , you down at the race this weekend?
I feel another season of Mercedes dominance.
Us yanks have a team on the grid too.

I don't know anyone here who even glances at it.
They took over a inner city parkland and recreation area and made it into a bitumen monstrosity to cater to a corrupt multi- millionaire who somehow manages to get about a $20M taxpayer subsidy off the state government to run the boys game.

Its a fucking scandal and about as interesting as watching rich boys broom broom their cars around in circles making a lot of noise.

Anyone I know who lives near it leaves town for the weekend. I do know some people, in the macho industries who have to take "clients" to it - they tell me anyone who pays for tickets is either a fool or has to work at an ordinary job for a living. Its all corporate freebies except for Joe Average in a fucking stupid baseball cap, long baggy cargo shorts. white sneakers and a T shirt with writing on it.

Other than that - no I don't know much about it.

Those new F1 drivers get paid a lot of money for driving robots on wheels.
With the new chassis, wider tracks with massive safety zones the risk level is practically zero.
Back in the olden days, the drivers were aware that they risked their lives, yet they gave everything to win.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want the F1 to become some sort of Ben Hur style race (although I'm sure that would be much more interesting), but right now the few times the top drivers meet on the track is at the start and behind the safety car.
Which is why fewer and fewer people want to cough up the money for the outrageously expensive tickets.

I'm also pretty sure that Mercedes paid Bernie a lot of money to make rule changes in their favour.
There's no way that a company/ team that sucked for years can have a brand new car that is so much faster than anybody's else's unless they had a little head start.
And why does a F1 car have to be fuel efficient? To save the environment? The teams ship/ fly so much equipment around the world, that 100 litres of fuel extra per car and weekend hardly matter.

Its all corporate freebies except for Joe Average in a fucking stupid baseball cap, long baggy cargo shorts. (white) sneakers and a T shirt with writing on it.

A perfect description of the look of the male motor sport fan in the Western world.

I don't know anyone here who even glances at it.
They took over a inner city parkland and recreation area and made it into a bitumen monstrosity to cater to a corrupt multi- millionaire who somehow manages to get about a $20M taxpayer subsidy off the state government to run the boys game.

Its a fucking scandal and about as interesting as watching rich boys broom broom their cars around in circles making a lot of noise.

Anyone I know who lives near it leaves town for the weekend. I do know some people, in the macho industries who have to take "clients" to it - they tell me anyone who pays for tickets is either a fool or has to work at an ordinary job for a living. Its all corporate freebies except for Joe Average in a fucking stupid baseball cap, long baggy cargo shorts. white sneakers and a T shirt with writing on it.

Other than that - no I don't know much about it.

You shouldn't be so reserved, tell us how you really feel.

With the new chassis, wider tracks with massive safety zones the risk level is practically zero.
Back in the olden days, the drivers were aware that they risked their lives, yet they gave everything to win.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want the F1 to become some sort of Ben Hur style race (although I'm sure that would be much more interesting), but right now the few times the top drivers meet on the track is at the start and behind the safety car.
Which is why fewer and fewer people want to cough up the money for the outrageously expensive tickets.

I'm also pretty sure that Mercedes paid Bernie a lot of money to make rule changes in their favour.
There's no way that a company/ team that sucked for years can have a brand new car that is so much faster than anybody's else's unless they had a little head start.
And why does a F1 car have to be fuel efficient? To save the environment? The teams ship/ fly so much equipment around the world, that 100 litres of fuel extra per car and weekend hardly matter.

A perfect description of the look of the male motor sport fan in the Western world.

I'd say that the past 3 years have been a massive improvement in that regard. I basically didn't watch for a decade because it was just a parade, especially the Schumi years. But about 4 or 5 years ago you could really see a change. Now Mercedes has been dominant the past couple years, but I think that won't last, and it isnt nearly the same as Ferrari in the early 00s. Plus there has been some epic racing in the middle.

I don't think you even had to put motor sport fan in there tbh. Just say average male.

I don't mind the extra safety measures. What I do mind are the enormous costs of the F1 circus (a term often used on German TV), which favour the big teams with corporate money. The F1 these days is basically battled out (again) between Ferrari and Mercedes, both team and engine wise. For the smaller teams it has been tough, since they cannot compete with the big teams' budgets of hundreds of millions per year. Since they hardly make it into the points they also don't get a fair share of the TV rights.
Bernie wants so much money for the F1 rights, that the owners of the F1 approved tracks in Germany can't pay it. They tried by raising the ticket prices, but that backfired because fewer people showed up. Charging about a weeks net wage per person for a weekend is not really attractive. Especially when all the F1 fans can do is this every now and again:

F1 is not driving in a circle. That's the yank version.

I haven't watched in awhile. Mercedes is dominant? Didn't seem like it when Schumacher unretired. No one thought Red Bull was dominant? Or before that McLaren?

I don't mind the extra safety measures. What I do mind are the enormous costs of the F1 circus (a term often used on German TV), which favour the big teams with corporate money. The F1 these days is basically battled out (again) between Ferrari and Mercedes, both team and engine wise. For the smaller teams it has been tough, since they cannot compete with the big teams' budgets of hundreds of millions per year. Since they hardly make it into the points they also don't get a fair share of the TV rights.
Bernie wants so much money for the F1 rights, that the owners of the F1 approved tracks in Germany can't pay it. They tried by raising the ticket prices, but that backfired because fewer people showed up. Charging about a weeks net wage per person for a weekend is not really attractive. Especially when all the F1 fans can do is this every now and again:

You'll find no argument from me except I do think there are more competitive teams. Red Bull still wins races, and Williams as well.

I think fxh fxh brought up one of the most salient points, the tax payer subsidies. They are ludicrous in all sports. It's basically a money transfer from the citizens to sports owners.

The upshot is Bernie is on the way out soon.

F1 is not driving in a circle. That's the yank version.

I haven't watched in awhile. Mercedes is dominant? Didn't seem like it when Schumacher unretired. No one thought Red Bull was dominant? Or before that McLaren?

As an an old McLaren fan, I really hope they have their engines sorted this year.

They get paid a hell of a lot more than the engineers who design the cars, that's for sure.

As an an old McLaren fan, I really hope they have their engines sorted this year.

More competition is clearly needed. It's just so strange that two of the biggest car producers can't seem to make a good hybrid race engine. Renault lacks power and Honda, well, everything, while Mercedes starts the F1 hybrid era with an almost flawless engine. Despite the fact that Mercedes has never been known for small turbo charged engines.

The noise of the small engines is more than disappointing, at least the US race series are orgies of engine noise and the cars are affordable.

I agree on the noise, definitely a bummer. I think that will change though.

Unbelievable run by Haas in their first race ever this weekend.

Nico Rosberg took his third straight win of 2016

"Hamilton will express his confidence at being able to erode Rosberg's points lead and will expect his awful luck of the first three races to turnaround - but the fact remains that no driver who has won the first three races of a season has failed to go on to claim the World Championship."

I didn't check for a few weeks and it's almost preordained.

Nico Rosberg took his third straight win of 2016

"Hamilton will express his confidence at being able to erode Rosberg's points lead and will expect his awful luck of the first three races to turnaround - but the fact remains that no driver who has won the first three races of a season has failed to go on to claim the World Championship."

I didn't check for a few weeks and it's almost preordained.

We will see if Hamilton really still has the edge. I think he might be a little soft this year and Nico is on a mission.

Rosberg versus Hamilton

On the main website, it says the Mercedes boss was furious. I reckon this will be the last year these two will be paired up for Mercedes.

Time to anoint the winner?

Hamilton in control - of the race and the title

"It was the icing on the cake for a perfect afternoon for Hamilton, who has put a stranglehold on the championship after a remarkable recovery from a difficult start to the season.

In seven races, Hamilton has turned his season around, moving from a 43-point deficit to Rosberg after five races to his current advantage of just six points short of an entire win. This was his fourth consecutive victory."

Ecclestone wants Hamilton to be the next champion 'nuff said.

Don't watch F1 anymore, like so many others.
They should make them drive old F1 cars, that had none of the electronic helpers of today. Preferably one of the 90's with manual gear shift.
Like so:

I thought Jenson Button was retiring but he is taking a "break" - whatever that is. I'm not sure he's going to come back like Kimi did. I still think that one wonder season he had was all because of Brawn and the car.

I thought Jenson Button was retiring but he is taking a "break" - whatever that is. I'm not sure he's going to come back like Kimi did. I still think that one wonder season he had was all because of Brawn and the car.

I gotta think he is done. He is a lot older than when Kimi took his break.

Rosberg wins. Can't say I followed this season much. Someone not Sebastian Vettel is at the top.

Rosberg wins. Can't say I followed this season much. Someone not Sebastian Vettel is at the top.

Cmon Fwiffo, you cannot really be a Vettel fan?

Race was actually really good today. I didn't watch much of season either to be honest

Cmon Fwiffo, you cannot really be a Vettel fan?

Race was actually really good today. I didn't watch much of season either to be honest

No I'm not a Vettel fan. I felt the car carried Vettel to his championships rather than anything he did himself. Of course the same could be said about Schumacher.

However, I didn't want to see another Lewis Hamilton coronation. I haven't been impressed with him since his dust up with Alonso in Bahrain.

According to the BBC, Hamilton was playing the dick and going against team orders to speed up instead of trying to drive slow and get someone to pass Rosberg to try and win the championship himself

According to the BBC, Hamilton was playing the dick and going against team orders to speed up instead of trying to drive slow and get someone to pass Rosberg to try and win the championship himself

He did, it was glorious.

Of course the same could be said about Schumacher.

Because of Schumacher Ferrari became competitive again.
It was more the holy trinity of driver, car and strategy. and back in those days Ferrari had the best of all those.
The past F1 seasons have been terribly boring because of the Mercedes dominance and the stupid regulations that helped them.
However, I didn't want to see another Lewis Hamilton coronation. I haven't been impressed with him since his dust up with Alonso in Bahrain.

+1

They should have a final shoot-out between the top 4 drivers, but all in the same cars with the same set-up, an American Indy car perhaps.
No turbos, no massive electronics.

Not sure I want single chassis races as someone who gets Indy every year in his hometown. There would be no point to the constructor's race. I know the Great Recession led some companies to pull out but firms need to invest in their teams rather than use it as a glorified platform for sponsorships and advertisements.

Sorry, but F1 stopped being F1 since 1994. Same thing with rally after the group B.

Sorry, but F1 stopped being F1 since 1994. Same thing with rally after the group B.
So true. I didn't know anybody was still following F1 or even spending precious hours to watch a race.

We watch it with the adverts creeping in now, which is a new invention I would be glad to do without as all F1 where I am is on paid cable channels.

Not sure if it's still on BBC across the pond.

We watch it with the adverts creeping in now, which is a new invention I would be glad to do without as all F1 where I am is on paid cable channels.

Not sure if it's still on BBC across the pond.

I think so, but not positive.

So Nico up and retiring was a shock. Interested to see how the seat gets filled.

I think so, but not positive.

So Nico up and retiring was a shock. Interested to see how the seat gets filled.

A number two like a Barrichello to the prima donna now known as Lewis Hamilton.

Doubtful. Merc want's someone who will push. Lotta smoke on Bottas at the moment.

RTL was covering the F1 for decades but interest has fallen over the past years, especially since Ecclestone cancelled all F1 races in Germany.
When Schumacher was still racing he pulled a huge crowd and they had 2 events in Germany, now there is none because Bernie either won't share the money from TV rights and/ or wants more money from the ticket sales.
Well, that and insanely boring events and high ticket prices.
Now that is doesn't create profit from advertising any more the F1 will be shown on public TV stations.

Sebastian Vettel doesn't pull in German crowds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom