The Fragrance Thread & SOTD

Nah, since Brexit it's much better to buy stuff in sterling for me. £130 in London vs $205 in US.

I figured it out - they sell a 2.5oz in the U.K. And a 4.2oz here.

I said 75ml, right? I much prefer it over the 125ml.

Yeah, that's the listing. I made an offer for £50 and he accepted it.

14855931_815725758564321_4969516809627411539_o.jpg

There are only few legitimate colognes a realman can wear.

Bay rum
Aqua velva
Old spice
English Leather
Paco Rabanne original

If you are Chinafriend, maybe Hai Karate.

Rest is for women and fags.

Bayolea from Penhaligon's is my favourite of the newer colognes for men. They have too many beard grooming oils in this range though, which is a sure sign it's being marketed towards the bearded hipster wonders one still sees walking around towns in search of a steam punk antiquarian thrift shop.

Bayolea from Penhaligon's is my favourite of the newer colognes for men. They have too many beard grooming oils in this range though, which is a sure sign it's being marketed towards the bearded hipster wonders one still sees walking around towns in search of a steam punk antiquarian thrift shop.
interesting. what's the scent profile on that one? it long lasting?

According to Penhaligon's themselves:
Head Notes
Lemongrass, Mandarin, Tangerine
  • prodnotes-heart.gif

Heart Notes
    Cardamom, Black Pepper, Neroli, Lavender
  • prodnotes-base.gif

Base Notes
    Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Musk, Moss, Patchouli, Amber

I'm in no position to argue, not sure much of my discerning nasal palate remains.

It's not long lasting at all, neither too Blenheim Bouquet these days. The Penhaligon range seems less enduring on the longevity front. Still, they have that beast of over powering cologne: The Hammam Bouquet. The English Fern was pretty strong too. I can't say how these are now, as I still have a bottle of the Hammam from well before 2010 on the go, I can't say that for other colognes.

I might start layering the less strong Penhaligon's with the aftershave and then work on up.

Just got in samples of the new MFK scents, Petit Matin and Grand Soir.

The Matin is holy shit citrus overload.

The Soir is a typical for MFK soft vanilla and labdanum. Quite nice.

Just got in samples of the new MFK scents, Petit Matin and Grand Soir.

The Matin is holy shit citrus overload.

The Soir is a typical for MFK soft vanilla and labdanum. Quite nice.

I know it's one of the oldest MFK scents, but I have really been grooving on Lumiere Noir lately.

my neiman's got in a single bottle of the new oud but the fuckers aren't putting it out to sample.

I got quite used to AdP Quercia, mostly because I don't have any real winter/fall colognes. Though I still consider it quite bland, but it's nice. Probably the Iso E, as I indicated earlier, because my girlfriend really really really likes it. So much, that she got me another sample.

Which is the reason for this post, because she also got a sample for AdP Ginepro di Sardegna from them.

Wore it the 3rd or 4th time today. I think it is very one dimensional, I cannot smell any evolution in the scent. It's just Juniper as far as I'm concerned, and a rather pungent version of it. Took the subway back from downtown about 5hrs after putting it on . Either I took way too much (probable) and/or it smells really nasty, but I got critical-disgusted looks from two different girls on the train.

this seems to be a good barometer of success.

Considering that close to all male colognes are bought by females - most definitely. Guess that also explains the success of Tom Ford, she liked pretty much everything they had. But they were out of bottles for decants.

Considering that close to all male colognes are bought by females - most definitely. Guess that also explains the success of Tom Ford, she liked pretty much everything they had. But they were out of bottles for decants.
there are quite a few REALLY good Tom Ford scents for men, so I'm not sure how he got lumped into the mall brand group.

Because his scents are EVERYWHERE, though in my case that is confined to airports and the local luxury department store. And there are 500 variations, there must be like 10-15 tobacco scents alone from Tom Ford. Just like Hermes etc scents, some of them might be really good, but they are 100% adressed to the mass market. Sort of like a luxury mall brand, together with Creed and whatnot.

Because his scents are EVERYWHERE, though in my case that is confined to airports and the local luxury department store. And there are 500 variations, there must be like 10-15 tobacco scents alone from Tom Ford. Just like Hermes etc scents, some of them might be really good, but they are 100% adressed to the mass market. Sort of like a luxury mall brand, together with Creed and whatnot.
I see what you're getting at. Personally, I'd consider him a cut above, but he is becoming ubiquitous these days.

I got quite used to AdP Quercia, mostly because I don't have any real winter/fall colognes. Though I still consider it quite bland, but it's nice. Probably the Iso E, as I indicated earlier, because my girlfriend really really really likes it. So much, that she got me another sample.
decided to sample this and have gotten 2 compliments from ladies already. this iso e shit is like shiny things to a magpie.

decided to sample this and have gotten 2 compliments from ladies already. this iso e shit is like shiny things to a magpie.

There is a thread on basenotes (I think), where someone mixed Iso E Super in a very high concentration with alcohol. Creepy things started happening, e.g. he/she got hunted down at the mall by people following the scent trail across stores (!) and suddendly popping up out of nowhere with "hey you what's that smell" and shit like that. Seems a bit like from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfume_(novel)

anyone have CdG Wonderwood that they'd be willing to sell me a sample of? i want to try this shit out finally.

I must have no nose at all - after the first 1.25 minutes of applying any EdC to my awesome body I can't smell a bloody thing.

Got a bottle of Black Vertiver from Phaedon. Oh damn I like this one. Peppery start and then opens and warms up with vertiver, that is fresh and not too overempowering Longevity is pretty good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom