The Fragrance Thread & SOTD

Mancera aren’t mailing any samples right now, so I’m going to place a decant order. Anything else of theirs I should try, while I’m at it? How’s the Velvet Vanilla?
I thought it was a little too powdery. Cedrat boise is the other really popular one. Check basenotes or reddit for reviews. Remember dont buy retail.

Best vanilla scent I can think of is Chanel's L'Egoiste.

But...but...but...its a bit of an 80s Behemoth.

...and that's a compliment.

I have Cedrat Boise. The people says is an Aventus clone, but no way. It is far more warm. It doesnt last on my skin but is one of my favorites.
Red tobacco on the other hand is a bomb.
I have never sniffed lemon mint or aoud lemon that people say are the other goods ones, but I have tried some on the others (gold aoud, gold intensive). In my opinion they are very similar smells and on the heavy side.

I have Cedrat Boise. The people says is an Aventus clone, but no way. It is far more warm. It doesnt last on my skin but is one of my favorites.
Red tobacco on the other hand is a bomb.
I have never sniffed lemon mint or aoud lemon that people say are the other goods ones, but I have tried some on the others (gold aoud, gold intensive). In my opinion they are very similar smells and on the heavy side.
I have the same problem with cedrat. Some people love it to death.

also agreed on trying to differentiate their oud offerings. None of them really stood out but i havent tried them all.

Forgot to add far better than Montale.
heavy agreement.

Red Tobacco arrived tonight and THANK YOU for the recommendation! Not at all what I was expecting but very nice and a nice change from what I’ve been buying lately.

Red Tobacco arrived tonight and THANK YOU for the recommendation! Not at all what I was expecting but very nice and a nice change from what I’ve been buying lately.

I'm interested if you will find that a daily beater, or too overwhelming in the long term to use outside of certain situations.

That tobacco scent I got was great for the first couple of weeks, now it's left on the shelf awaiting the future where I can sport it.

I'm interested if you will find that a daily beater, or too overwhelming in the long term to use outside of certain situations.

That tobacco scent I got was great for the first couple of weeks, now it's left on the shelf awaiting the future where I can sport it.

Time will tell. My first impression is that it is fairly light and wearable daily.

It’s funny you mention daily beaters - I was just tidying up my drawer and thinking I have a lot of half empty bottles I should just wear to use-up. But they are mostly strong scents and I get paranoid about overdoing it with a daytime scent, so my go-tos remain a few of the milder ones like Oud Wood and a L’Occataine.

Anyway, I ordered a couple more Manceras based on recommendations above.

Fragrance market take a beating with corona virus.

It will be back to Brylcreem and Woodbines. With hints of coal tar soap at the weekends.

Finally picked up some Géranium pour Monsieur by Frederic Malle. formby002 formby002 made the recommendation a long while ago when I was looking for a mint scent, so thanks. I like it, not sickly sweet toothpaste mint. Cool and refreshing not cloying.

I also grabbed some of the Aoud Lemon Mint and Tobacco Red based on the recommendations here. Both nice. Interesting on first sniff not on skin the Tobaco Red smells like cat piss to me but on the skin it is a nice strong oud. Stronger than the Lemon Mint which is more subtle on the oud front. All three are wins in my book and on my skin.

When I get through my red tobacco decant I will invest in a bottle. I really do like it. Truth is dead right that it smells much better on the skin. That said, it doesn’t last long on the skin - maybe 4-6hrs - whereas a spray on the shirt will still be noticeable the next day.

Aoud lemon mint is nice, but not for me.

When I get through my red tobacco decant I will invest in a bottle. I really do like it. Truth is dead right that it smells much better on the skin. That said, it doesn’t last long on the skin - maybe 4-6hrs - whereas a spray on the shirt will still be noticeable the next day.

Aoud lemon mint is nice, but not for me.
we can do a red tobacco split if you want. otherwise go grey market. you can get the bottles for less than $100.

aoud lemon mint does REALLY well here in the heat and humidity. its hard for me to find good summer scents that last and and overly cloying.

Does the membership have any suggestions as to a fragrance that has a clean, citrus smell, suitable for hot summer days (Sshhh fxh!)

Feel free to throw some curveballs in too (i.e not citrus but pleasant to wear on hot days).

Cheers,

f.

edit: I, missed Rambo's post above but, well, anyway....

Does the membership have any suggestions as to a fragrance that has a clean, citrus smell, suitable for hot summer days (Sshhh fxh!)

Feel free to throw some curveballs in too (i.e not citrus but pleasant to wear on hot days).

Cheers,

f.

you ever tried acqua di parma? i find that to be a great baseline fragrance to then tailor recs from there.

Cheers,

f.

you ever tried acqua di parma? i find that to be a great baseline fragrance to then tailor recs from there.

I was going to suggest that. Long-lasting: Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Xerjoff Nio, Tom Ford Neroli Portofino

Cheers,
f.

There is Penhaligon's Limes, when they bother to produce a run of it outside of Harrods exclusives.

And the eternal classic, Blenheim Bouquet. Always a winner in the summer.

That's one of my mother's favs.

tried out Roja Elysium Parum today. seems like a very interesting "blue" scent and very summery.

Any recommendations for a soapy clean perfum.

I have prada pour homme
Body musk white musk
Banana Republic 90 Pure white
Lalique white,
Any other suggestions?

Any recommendations for a soapy clean perfum.

I have prada pour homme
Body musk white musk
Banana Republic 90 Pure white
Lalique white,
Any other suggestions?
there's a good santa maria novella fragrance but i cant remember the name of it at the moment

Bought a small bottle of Knize, pretty sure they changed it compared to what I had before (ca late 90s /early 2000s, don’t remember exactly).
The opening changed completely, the dialed down the nasty a lot and even worse masked it with a lot of nice. Used to be very fierce and pungent for the first minutes, almost none of that left. After a few hours it is more similar to what I had before, just a lot sweeter.
I googled this a little bit but didn’t really find anything except for one guy claiming it was changed in 2013/14. So it might well be me. Stil a nice nice scent, but pretty disappointing nonetheless.

Bought a small bottle of Knize, pretty sure they changed it compared to what I had before (ca late 90s /early 2000s, don’t remember exactly).
The opening changed completely, the dialed down the nasty a lot and even worse masked it with a lot of nice. Used to be very fierce and pungent for the first minutes, almost none of that left. After a few hours it is more similar to what I had before, just a lot sweeter.
I googled this a little bit but didn’t really find anything except for one guy claiming it was changed in 2013/14. So it might well be me. Stil a nice nice scent, but pretty disappointing nonetheless.

It's been changed a bunch of times. 80s/90s is good vintage of the true leather/gasoline/riot tire on Napoli depth of scent.

the new viktor and rolf spicebomb edp is a winner. STRONG.

sorry, had this one in the hopper. now that i've sat with this for a while i've turned 180. these posts have some good thoughts

Last edited:
So the new spicebomb is a yes or no? Quite confused after reading the review?

I must say that I like the original one.

You do know that they want £144 for a bottle of this stuff.

Old Spice is under a tenner in Boots and it will last you forever.

The men’s perfume malarkey is the same as the watch collection fad. A desire has been created that did not previously exist. Hence winders to keep your automatic watch running.
So what its 144 quid? If you like it then its worth it.

well this is the night vision version which is fruitier than the original. id pass on this edp.
I am going to try it anyway. Not sure if I have ever smelled watermelon on a perfum?

Grand Potentate Grand Potentate any good (long lasting) alternative to Sauvage (the original) that is not the eau de perfum?

You do know that they want £144 for a bottle of this stuff.

Old Spice is under a tenner in Boots and it will last you forever.

The men’s perfume malarkey is the same as the watch collection fad. A desire has been created that did not previously exist. Hence winders to keep your automatic watch running.

You should not use winders that keep your watch running.

the newish georgio armani acqua di gio profundo isn't really bad at all. its pretty generic smelling but its not regular acqua di gio level of generic. if you need a department store night time scent it might be a decent way to go.

tried out the new byredo tobacco mandarin. very interesting. got a kind of sweet/powdery musk smell on the drydown. i dont know if its quite for me but i think its worth another shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom