The Fragrance Thread & SOTD

Mrs Dropbear decided that a lot of my ouds smell like old men’s brylcream and medicine all of a sudden. For some reason the Tom Ford is not included with this blanket condemnation.

Mrs Dropbear decided that a lot of my ouds smell like old men’s brylcream and medicine all of a sudden. For some reason the Tom Ford is not included with this blanket condemnation.
great that you've got blanket permission to buy a bunch of new shit then

which ones are most offensive to her? you could probably swap them out here pretty easily.

great that you've got blanket permission to buy a bunch of new shit then

which ones are most offensive to her? you could probably swap them out here pretty easily.

Yeh, I’ll just rotate the ouds to daytime and get some new scents for date nights. I was wearing the Mancera when she made the comment.

what do you recommend for something similar to TF vanilla tobacco without oud?

what do you recommend for something similar to TF vanilla tobacco without oud?
tobacco vanille is like the least oud-y fragrance that i can think of. she doesn't like that? does tobacco = oud to her? or are you just using VT as a comparison fragrance?

tobacco vanille is like the least oud-y fragrance that i can think of. she doesn't like that? does tobacco = oud to her? or are you just using VT as a comparison fragrance?

Nah, that’s one that she does like.

tried out the new Acqua di Parma Oud & Spice. its pretty fucking good. went straight to the top of my buy list. if anyone wants to get in on a split let me know.

tried out the new Acqua di Parma Oud & Spice. its pretty fucking good. went straight to the top of my buy list. if anyone wants to get in on a split let me know.
Nice! Will definitely try. I see they have quite a few new (for me) scents. The AdP lady here really likes my wife, I'll ask her to pick up plenty of samples of all the new stuff.

Nice! Will definitely try. I see they have quite a few new (for me) scents. The AdP lady here really likes my wife, I'll ask her to pick up plenty of samples of all the new stuff.
i think the new one is iris based. never been a particular fan of the women's scents as they're all heavy on the flowers.

These days I'm trying Creed Bois Du Portugal: loving it more and more. I had already tried it in the past, but wasn't so impressed: if I liked much the opening, was not so enamoured of the drydown.

I think it will be my next fragrance.

Happened to sample Tom Ford’s Tuberèuse Nue with my girlfriend last weekend. Wonderful scent - florals with a dark undertone, thanks to the amber notes. It definitely has presence. Dries down to an amazing musky floral scent.

Can thoroughly recommend spritzing the women in your lives with this stuff.

speaking of TF, new private blend just dropped

Tom Ford unveils a new fragrance from the Private Blend collection, called Ébène Fumé or "smoked ebony." The scent represents the mystical ancient essence of Palo Santo wood, whose scent and smoke are believed to cleanse negative energy. There is also ebony wood that stands for calm and enlightened luxury.

Mindfulness meeting opulence, Ébène Fumé promises a fragrance of transcendental aura and spiritual peace, focused on warm woody notes, fresh herbs, resins, and sumptuous flowers. Palo Santo wood releases purifying mystical aromas that mix earthy, woody, and floral aromas, as well as pine needles and incense.

Black pepper and violet leaf open the composition. The heart emphasizes smoky and leathery notes and contains Spanish labdanum absolute, papyrus, and rose. African ebony is encompassed by notes of leather and resins. Its intensity is enhanced by guaiac wood and natural balsamic ingredients.

Top notes: Palo Santo, violet leaf, incense, black pepper
Heart: labdanum, papyrus, rose, cade, leather
Base: ebony, guaiac wood, resins​

Which one do you prefer?

And in general, what is your favourite lavender fragrance?
I have a lot of Lavenders.

Yardley - various years
Atkinsons
Grossmith - discontinued
Morny - discontinued
DR Harris
Mayfair
Caldey Island
Roger & Gallet
Berdoues
Cadentia
Puig
Myrurgia
Ach Brito
Cella
Coldinava
Ferrari

There was one that smelt so clean, unfortunately I cannot remember which. However, I am going through them again.

Today was Caldey Island.

Ferrari - Clean and sweet
Atkinsons - Clean and refined
Caldey Island EDT - Clean and very fleeting
Caldey Island AS - Very fleeting

I will let you know who my favourite is once I have gone through them again...

Last edited:
Does anyone else have a favourite lavender? If anyone replies Pour Un Homme de Caron, I think it's disgusting...

I haven't tried either. I am a fan of Guerlain.
Dirty Lavender with a hint of Civet (a shy cat-like creature) musk.

Or as one wag on Basenotes described it:

'Ideal for strolling through a fog-enshrouded Whitechapel, twirling one's cane, whilst looking for 'trade'.'

Pimpy will appreciate that description.

jicky is WAY too potent to be considered a "lavender" fragrance.
I find that, only for the first 30mins or so though, until the Civet skank calms down then I get the Lavender...finally finishing with the classic Guerlain Vanilla.

He should probably try MdM first though before he goes full-skank.

Arrived today, Creed Bois Du Portugal, Roger&Gallet Jean Marie Farina Eau de Cologne and R&G JMF soaps.

10553-c46444be-800.jpg
41o--vIYC5L._AC_.jpg
r-g-jean-marie-farina-savon-3-x-100-g.jpg

The discontinued Morny Original Lavender. Sharp and slightly medicinal. Very nice, a shame it's a splash bottle.

20210902_202946.jpg

Well I have applied both Atkinsons and Caldey Island Lavender for a comparison. The Caldey Island Lavender is more linear and defined, but it doesn't last long. The Atkinsons has a longer lasting dry down. I have ordered more Atkinsons just in case it is discontinued.

Do you mean that this is your favourite one?
I need to wear the Morny more and try some others, but probably so far. Luca Turin gave it 5 stars.

Today:

DR Harris Lavender Water - medicinal, its very musky. Not very strong.Thankfully a small bottle.

Last edited:
I need to wear the Morny more and try some others, but probably so far. Luca Turin gave it 5 stars.

Today:

DR Harris Lavender Water - medicinal, its very musky. Not very strong.Thankfully a small bottle.
Have you ever considered....y'know....branching out a bit from.....y'know....Lavender?

Have you ever considered....y'know....branching out a bit from.....y'know....Lavender?
I have around 150 or more fragrances. As we enter Autumn/Fall I decided to have a Lavender fortnight or even possibly month after a summer of Citrus.

Next up will Eau de Cologne from the beginning...

My favourite Creed fragrance is Royal Scottish Collie, exclusively designed for Lassie. This was also a favourite of Elvis Presley...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom