THE Necktie Thread, Now With Handkerchiefs and Scarves

I haven't worn any knit ties this season, I seem to have gone off them somewhat. But then again, they're not going to work well with might T&A collars.

I dunno, navy mohair suit, white Turnbull and black knit tie is always solid.

I am going to be wearing my special tie today. It is a highly fine detailed Kiton that is a work of art. I bought it about 10 years ago from Harrolds for around $500 (one of my most extravagant purchases ever!), and it shows to discerning eyes, but unfortunately it doesn't dimple too well and the knot is quite underwhelming, but it gives me great pleasure to wear. It is a showcase of art....a simple striped pattern, but done in lots of fine detail....lots of intricate weaves.

Last edited:
From another thread: "....the current incarnation of drakes while very nice, basically makes Italian style ties today. Very little in common with Michael Drakes original product."

I'm intrigued. What makes Drake's ties Italian style?

From another thread: "....the current incarnation of drakes while very nice, basically makes Italian style ties today. Very little in common with Michael Drakes original product."

I'm intrigued. What makes Drake's ties Italian style?

Floppy unlined thin silk

Mods please change name of this thread it is an affront to me there is no such thing as a NECKtie thank you.

I agree, but the Brit’s traditionally favor bigger knots and beefy ties.

Bigger knots and beefy ties look great with a waistcoat, because the weight is then supported and you can get a nice arch at the neck (think Captain Peacock). Without a waistcoat, they just hang like the proverbial kipper, and aren't really flattering, especially if you have a scrawny neck like me.

I quite like Drake's ties. If I want a bigger knot I can always take an extra turn.

I agree, but the Brit’s traditionally favor bigger knots and beefy ties.

They are not quite sure themselves

IMG_2519.JPG
IMG_2520.JPG

Best tie knot I get is with Crappelli 7-fold unlined twill silk. Just ordered a 3-fold unlined twill silk in order to know if it does knot the same. Both are supposed to have light interlining and should knot equally. 3-fold Crappelli lined (with regular interlining) doesn't knot that well (exact same knot as Marinella 3-fold lined).

The only Drake's I have does a horrible knot but Drake's designs/patterns are the best for me.

Always on the lookout for quality at Unterprices, I tried Poszetka. Not too shabby at all. They call themselves untipped, but they have a double interlining of wool and canvas. So you get an Italian end and a British beefy tie. I'm a little baffled.

I quite like Drake's ties. If I want a bigger knot I can always take an extra turn.

Their shantung ties are spot-on, I've a few of them and will likely get more. And I will buy direct from their website in the future.

HRH Prince of Michael of Kent has been dressing that way for decades, with those big in your face collars bespoke from T&A to his own specifications and those magnificent super fold in extremis ties. He has it abundance: style and presence.

You can mock him for being sartorially eccentric, not to your own taste, might have had some dodgy business dealings, but he has it: a completely individual look and silhouette that is instantly recognisable as his own. If you put him on that Italian Industrialist website they'd be sartorially masturbating over him. Metaphorically speaking of course.

Old Charlie boy had a great look a few years back with super slim T&A repp ties with extra tight knots. He seems to have ditched that now.

Their shantung ties are spot-on, I've a few of them and will likely get more. And I will buy direct from their website in the future.

HRH Prince of Michael of Kent has been dressing that way for decades, with those big in your face collars bespoke from T&A to his own specifications and those magnificent super fold in extremis ties. He has it abundance: style and presence.

You can mock him for being sartorially eccentric, not to your own taste, might have had some dodgy business dealings, but he has it: a completely individual look and silhouette that is instantly recognisable as his own. If you put him on that Italian Industrialist website they'd be sartorially masturbating over him. Metaphorically speaking of course.

Old Charlie boy had a great look a few years back with super slim T&A repp ties with extra tight knots. He seems to have ditched that now.

I love both of them
Why so defensive right away?

Years ago, McNeal used to do a good line in repp ties. Not too wide, not too slim, not too lined, not too unlined, not too floppy not too stiff. Just right. Now, of course, they've gone to the dogs, as have M&S with their 'Sartorial' range.

Now, where does Phil the Greek buy his ties?
The-Queen-and-Prince-Philip-2.jpg

Years ago, McNeal used to do a good line in repp ties. Not too wide, not too slim, not too lined, not too unlined, not too floppy not too stiff. Just right. Now, of course, they've gone to the dogs, as have M&S with their 'Sartorial' range.

Now, where does Phil the Greek buy his ties?
The-Queen-and-Prince-Philip-2.jpg

Looks very T&A

I love both of them
Why so defensive right away?

As you know, the topic of Royalty can be a quite sensitive in the UK. I rushed to defend them before the New Model Army Round Head types had a go about not earned privilege.

Looks very T&A

He's a Hermes man and that's a Hermes tie. The texture is all wrong for T&A, plus there's too many motifs going on for T&A and Hermes likes primitive ethnic stick men and the likes.

He's a Hermes man and that's a Hermes tie. The texture is all wrong for T&A, plus there's too many motifs going on for T&A and Hermes likes primitive ethnic stick men and the likes.

Sounds like more hot air from the master. I am fully aware that he favors Hermès ties. Perhaps you’ve been in the game a bit longer than me. However I have seen many primitive large scale T&A motif ties. In fact I have quite a large collection of vintage T&A ties with texture and motifs very similar to the above tie. Perhaps you were still a school boy dressed by mum, when T&A released their famous hyrogliphics ties. A Quick web search immediately revealed a picture that recalls the Dukes tie a lot more than a typical Hermès tie. But please feel free to educate me if there is something I am missing.

E352827E-E377-40DA-B41B-22FB8EF36BB9.png

3D73904B-2116-4F12-912E-5FE686E82823.png

979026D2-5150-4284-ABCF-C7A7978EBDB2.png

Last edited:
Sounds like more hot air from the master. I am fully aware that he favors Hermès ties. Yet I have never seen giant Hermès primitive motif ties. Perhaps you’ve been in the game a bit longer than me. However I have seen many primitive large scale T&A motif ties. In fact I have quite a large collection of vintage T&A ties with texture and motifs very similar to the above tie. Perhaps you were still a school boy dressed by mum, when T&A released their famous hyrogliphics ties. A Quick web search immediately revealed a picture that recalls the Dukes tie a lot more than a typical Hermès tie. But please feel free to educate me if there is something I am missing.

View attachment 25050

As you're a connoisseur of T&A ties, then please go ahead and post your entire primitive collection from T&A....I for one would like to be educated.

Not something you've found on the web, like the above. Anyone can do that. Your collection if you will please.

Hermes along with the standard ranges, do lots of primitive, ethnic and fetish (in the anthropological sense of the word) style ties. I believe that the tie worn the Prince conforms to that, more so than the example you've posted above. I believe it is a Hermes tie and conforms to that style. Combined with the fact that the Prince has little time for the current owner of T&A, it is very likely a Hermes tie.

A "Quick web search" isn't good enough to refute my theory. You need to be working harder.

As you're a connoisseur of T&A ties, then please go ahead and post your entire primitive collection from T&A....I for one would like to be educated.

Not something you've found on the web, like the above. Anyone can do that. Your collection if you will please.

Hermes along with the standard ranges, do lots of primitive, ethnic and fetish (in the anthropological sense of the word) style ties. I believe that the tie worn the Prince conforms to that, more so than the example you've posted above. I believe it is a Hermes tie and conforms to that style. Combined with the fact that the Prince has little time for the current owner of T&A, it is very likely a Hermes tie.

A "Quick web search" isn't good enough to refute my theory. You need to be working harder.

Travelling now so posting pics is not an option for another week or so. Stay tuned...
Well a web search certainly disputes your theory that T&A does not do large scale primitive motif ties. And it disputes your theory that « there are too many motifs going on for t&a ».

Perhaps you can do a web search and find a large scale primitive motif Hermès ties with a non repetitive pattern like the duke’s tie. Or perhaps you can’t.

Travelling now so posting pics is not an option for another week or so. Stay tuned...
Well a web search certainly disputes your theory that T&A does not do large scale primitive motif ties. And it disputes your theory that « there are too many motifs going on for t&a ».

Perhaps you can do a web search and find a large scale primitive motif Hermès ties with a non repetitive pattern like the duke’s tie. Or perhaps you can’t.

I'm not really that interested in searching Hermes ties thank you, but I do look forward to your primitive T&A collection when you've got time to post. Thank you.

Whilst I agree Hermes style is geometrically positioned motifs repeated perfectly, the anecdotal evidence and the fact that they do lots of primitive themed ties season in and out, whereas T&A does not, I think points more towards Hermes, but if not them, likely not T&A.

Always ready to be educated though, especially from aficionados and collectors.

I am neither an aficionado nor a collector of Hermes ties, but I have never seen a tie from Hermes like the one that the Prince is wearing.

All of the primitive/ethnic designs by Hermes that I have seen have involved bands of repeating motifs, sometimes horizontal or sometimes diagonal. I've never seen any with motifs that are so large, nor that are randomly distributed over the tie.

So while I have no idea as to whether or not the Prince is wearing T&A, I do doubt that his tie is by Hermes.

However, I will qualify my response by noting that I did not undertake a comprehensive Google images search before responding!

Philip does wear Hermes (not saying it is though)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...Philip-s-inside-leg-50-years-reveals-all.html

His underwear is made by the Scottish firm Lyle & Scott and, since 1956, his shoes have come from John Lobb Ltd, while his hats are by James Lock & Co, both of Jermyn Street.

His coats are from Daks or Barbour, silk ties from the French company Hermes, boots from Hunter and kilts from Kinloch Anderson in Edinburgh.

and he does like that tie

bb67026577666d3192442f645f08acbe.jpg

MV5BMTA4MzQxMjA0NjJeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDY5NDE5MTc@._V1_UY1200_CR148,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Hermes as much as you may want it, falls into the mid-range, but high quality. A canny buy. And I know diplomats who sport Hermes before other ranges. It says you cannot be bought.

So away with your pretence and BS.

Philip does wear Hermes (not saying it is though)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...Philip-s-inside-leg-50-years-reveals-all.html

His underwear is made by the Scottish firm Lyle & Scott and, since 1956, his shoes have come from John Lobb Ltd, while his hats are by James Lock & Co, both of Jermyn Street.

His coats are from Daks or Barbour, silk ties from the French company Hermes, boots from Hunter and kilts from Kinloch Anderson in Edinburgh.

and he does like that tie

bb67026577666d3192442f645f08acbe.jpg

MV5BMTA4MzQxMjA0NjJeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDY5NDE5MTc@._V1_UY1200_CR148,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

After what Fayed has said about the Prince, I doubt very much it's T&A. The same could be said about Prince Charles who continued to get his shirts from them for awhile, but he did change shirtmakers, but it appears he is back with T&A.

There's a number of themes in that tie, quite a lot from a number of cultures: yin-yang, scales of justice, crosses, mandellas, etc and in amongst it all is the UN symbol. Hermes have done special and limited editions for the UN in the past.

By a process of deduction, I wager that this is a special edition tie for the UN. Although it doesn't conform to the standard range and style of Hermes, it's not incongruous that it is by Hermes.

After what Fayed has said about the Prince, I doubt very much it's T&A. The same could be said about Prince Charles who continued to get his shirts from them for awhile, but he did change shirtmakers, but it appears he is back with T&A.

There's a number of themes in that tie, quite a lot from a number of cultures: yin-yang, scales of justice, crosses, mandellas, etc and in amongst it all is the UN symbol. Hermes have done special and limited editions for the UN in the past.

By a process of deduction, I wager that this is a special edition tie for the UN. Although it doesn't conform to the standard range and style of Hermes, it's not incongruous that it is by Hermes.

You can find more Diplomatic Ties at http://diplomaticties.se/

Grey fox blog plugs an awful lot of ties. Some are OK others are terrible.
http://www.greyfoxblog.com/2017/07/penelope-cream-ties-hand-knitted-in-uk.html
http://www.greyfoxblog.com/2017/08/h-n-white-ties-handmade-from-vintage.html
http://www.greyfoxblog.com/2014/10/augustus-hare-ties-and-grey-fox.html
http://www.greyfoxblog.com/2017/02/ancient-madder-seaward-stearn-making.html

He is not as precious as Crompton and he does not provoke as much hostility.

I quite like the bright ties Jon Snow the newsreader wears
http://www.victoriarichards.com/category/bespoke-hand-painted-ties

As you were.

On with the snark...

Tie cummers:

In sum, the significant association of the amygdala seed with emotional facial discrimination tasks suggests an aberrant emotional evaluation of personal features, most likely also concerning sexual characteristics, in paraphilia.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...aphilic_and_Hypersexual_Disorders_An_Overview

Ah yes, the DM-IV categories of everyday and extraordinary madness and psychosis. I use it on my colleagues and estranged family members.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom