The Next Election, Political News, and Other Forms of Comedy (US, UK, & Intl)

The irony of saying this in front of a man who boasts about 'grab em by the pussy'

"All member states must agree that a new country can join Nato, therefore Sweden and Finland require Turkey's support in their bid to join the military alliance.

Mr Erdogan said Swedish and Finnish delegations should not bother going to Ankara, Turkey's capital, to convince it to approve their Nato bid.

His government has also pledged to block applications from countries that have imposed sanctions on it."

"When he ran for office, Mr Cawthorn 'said some really exciting things, ran a grassroots campaign all over the district, and he showed concern [for his constituents],' said Hunter Clark, 18, a former staffer for the congressman. 'For me, and for a lot of people, he was change.'

His youthfulness was also part of the appeal, said Mr Clark - but his scandals have shown 'he's not mature' - and he voted against his old boss this election."

Hunter Clark. Former staffer. Referencing to when Mr. Cawthorn *ran* - past tense. Voted against his *old* boss. (...For the first time in his life)

When did House Reps start employing children as staffers?

nothing like nice simple anglo saxon words

Have you ever read Orwell's guide to writing. In this case rule 5?

This advice applies to any language where the author wants to clearly understood.

nothing like nice simple anglo saxon words

Like expletives? They can be quite effective now and again. But not all the time.

It's desperate and concocted to say that clip is an example of a nod and wink to the the white supremacists of Canada, for which I didn't know they had a problem with Neo-Nazis and Confederate militias until Trudeau told us about them.

This advice applies to any language where the author wants to clearly understood.
Ernest Hemmingway's style was a masterclass in brevity too. Direct with no superfluous fluff at all.

Charles Bukowski did something similar with poetry.

Like expletives? They can be quite effective now and again. But not all the time.

It's desperate and concocted to say that clip is an example of a nod and wink to the the white supremacists of Canada, for which I didn't know they had a problem with Neo-Nazis and Confederate militias until Trudeau told us about them.

Ernest Hemmingway's style was a masterclass in brevity too. Direct with no superfluous fluff at all.

Charles Bukowski did something similar with poetry.
Ah yes nazis didn’t exist until Justin trudeau

No I haven’t. I’ll check it out. Admittedly not what that guy was talking about though.

No I haven’t. I’ll check it out. Admittedly not what that guy was talking about though.
The quote at the top of the video suggests that him saying that he speaks clear Anglo-Saxon (which is English) is a white-supremacist dog-whistle. Now he may well be a white-supremacist, I don't know much about the guy, but that statement in that context is absurd.

As Orwell points out, correctly in my opinion you should aim to write/speak clearly in in the tongue of your audience (his audience was the British hence reference to English) and for the reasons he points out.

The quote at the top of the video suggests that him saying that he speaks clear Anglo-Saxon (which is English) is a white-supremacist dog-whistle. Now he may well be a white-supremacist, I don't know much about the guy, but that statement in that context is absurd.

As Orwell points out, correctly in my opinion you should aim to write/speak clearly in in the tongue of your audience (his audience was the British hence reference to English) and for the reasons he points out.
Exactly. BTW, he is not a white supremacist. He called bullshit on the “white replacement” theory that was espoused by the Buffalo shooter and one of the leaders of the “freedom convoy” clearly and forcefully. The dog whistle was calling his use of Anglo Saxon as a dog whistle moment.

Exactly. BTW, he is not a white supremacist. He called bullshit on the “white replacement” theory that was espoused by the Buffalo shooter and one of the leaders of the “freedom convoy” clearly and forcefully. The dog whistle was calling his use of Anglo Saxon as a dog whistle moment.
Honestly more of a dog air siren at this point.

Honestly more of a dog air siren at this point.
Would you have preferred him to state he was going to use the iambic pentameters of Shakespeare, or perhaps the long winded prose of the early Victorian novel?

He certainly wouldn't be allowed to appropriate Afro-American speech patterns would he?

I read his Wiki entry and he seems a mainstream politician and they didn't reference any Neo-Nazi credentials or history.

You can also throw in, which Churchill use to do, some well placed longer word, especially at the end of a sentence, to show you're quite clever and erudite.

You know what I meant.

How about just saying “I use clear strong language” or some shit like that?
This is very much in the same vein but more fleshed out.

The idea is to use Anglo words instead of Latin derived ones. E.g. dog instead of canine. To say clear/strong does not properly account for this.

Constitutional monarchy serves us well — but its figureheads have a serious image problem

"...what's called the Queen's Speech in the United Kingdom and the Speech from the Throne in Canada — was actually less ridiculous than the self-aggrandizing and airy State of the Union address the American [P]resident delivers each year."

"As an institution, the British Crown carries the burden of Great Britain's history of colonialism. The very idea of an unelected, hereditary monarch presiding as head of state seems archaic and antithetical to the principles of democracy — the sort of thing no self-respecting nation would tolerate.

And yet, a constitutional monarchy may still be preferable to any of the alternatives.

Of the top 20 countries in the Economist's annual measure of democratic health, 10 are constitutional monarchies: Norway, New Zealand, Sweden, Denmark, Australia, the Netherlands, Canada, Luxembourg, Japan and the United Kingdom. Those ten countries, plus Belgium, also placed among the top 21 countries in the last edition of the UN human development index.

Correlation is not causation. But if you were looking for a group of ten countries to align yourself with, you could do much worse than those ten."

"Anthony Albanese, then, has achieved an ambiguous victory. There was no great groundswell of support for Labor. Indeed, its primary vote was actually 2% down from 2019, a meagre 32%. Although he is certain to emerge as prime minister, we still do not know whether he will stand at the head of a Labor majority government."

You can win majorities with 32 percent popular vote in the 21st century.

"Member-on-member primaries, as they are known, sometimes occur after redistricting when two lawmakers’ districts are combined, but they are rare, especially between two members of Congress with such seniority."

The Republicans redraw district lines to continue to hold their seats and/or disadvantage the Democrats.

Meanwhile the Democrats appear to redraw district lines to practise Cronus (or Saturn) eating its own offspring.

Just watched Boris Johnson's Partygate Report news conference - these droning journalists are desperate. With world events taking over, it's hard for me to get enraged about Boris with a glass of wine or Starmer with his proletariat lager. All hypocrites, I get that, but it's serious now on other fronts and it needs to be over.

Should be an amnesty, a line drawn in the sand, for the politicians and all of those members of the public who were fined - some up to GBP 10,000 - for similar offences during lockdown and they should be refunded and criminal records removed for those who got the larger fines.

Because as we all now know, the lockdowns were a terrible policy causing more damage than good.

Last edited:
Constitutional monarchy serves us well — but its figureheads have a serious image problem

"...what's called the Queen's Speech in the United Kingdom and the Speech from the Throne in Canada — was actually less ridiculous than the self-aggrandizing and airy State of the Union address the American [P]resident delivers each year."

"As an institution, the British Crown carries the burden of Great Britain's history of colonialism. The very idea of an unelected, hereditary monarch presiding as head of state seems archaic and antithetical to the principles of democracy — the sort of thing no self-respecting nation would tolerate.

And yet, a constitutional monarchy may still be preferable to any of the alternatives.

Of the top 20 countries in the Economist's annual measure of democratic health, 10 are constitutional monarchies: Norway, New Zealand, Sweden, Denmark, Australia, the Netherlands, Canada, Luxembourg, Japan and the United Kingdom. Those ten countries, plus Belgium, also placed among the top 21 countries in the last edition of the UN human development index.

Correlation is not causation. But if you were looking for a group of ten countries to align yourself with, you could do much worse than those ten."
You could paraphrase Churchill's point about democracy and translate it to constitutional monarchy.

Its the worst system, except for all the others that have been tried.

You could paraphrase Churchill's point about democracy and translate it to constitutional monarchy.

Its the worst system, except for all the others that have been tried.
Ours need to get some back bone and be a bit more forthright in defending the legacy of ending the slave trade and the benefits of the Commonwealth and the Western canon. Grovelling apologies to those who are looking for handouts and dole money, whilst selling out to the Chinese is never a good move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom