The Next Election, Political News, and Other Forms of Comedy (US, UK, & Intl)

Dr. Oz said in the debate tonight that abortion should be between a woman, her doctor and local government officials at the state level.

ololololo.

But, Fetterman is a veg.

Thruth Thruth Fwiffo Fwiffo this is a total chad move by the quebecers.

There are two things being discussed here.

Newly elected provincial representatives in Quebec who refuse to take an oath for the province, country and via extension the head of state; the King and are therefore barred from entering the provincial legislature which convenes in the name of the King and represented in Quebec by the lieutenant governor. This isn't new. If they were re-elected, they swore an oath to the late HM the Queen prior to dissolution for the provincial election.

"But abolishing the monarchy and turning Canada into a republic is not that complex, Taillon argued. He said the easy way would be to cut the cord that makes the governor general a representative of the King."

This is a load of bollocks. The House of Commons, Senate and all 10 provinces need to support the motion to abolish the monarchy and more importantly, replace it with an alternative system which will likely go to the people for a referendum. This wouldn't happen in this day and age. We can't even agree on federally subsidized money for provinces to spend as they wish on early child care much less something as momentous as this.

This isn't Barbados where they implement a republican system overnight by taking the Governor General and rename it President without any vote or checks and balances giving the new President a next term to govern without any accountability to the people.

"'The first person I dated after my divorce seemed like a great guy,' Ms Hammontree recalled. 'And then I found out he was a freaking Democrat!'
They dated for three months, but broke up one month before the November 2020 presidential election. 'I couldn't stand it any longer,' she said. 'I really liked the guy. But I just don't feel like a relationship can go very far without those same [political] views.' Now, she checks voter registrations on Google before dates - just to make sure she's not going to be dining with a Democrat."

I wonder who I end up with given my politics.

"'We'd be getting along great and then politics would come up and it was clear it just wasn't going to work out,' she said.

She eventually married a Romanian."

Romanians are clearly the bastion of liberalism....

Surprised they declared it on the night. One percent and a bit these days usually mean recounts and let’s wait for mail in ballots.

"So why do the surveys also show Republican Senate candidates struggling?

'Because they’re not superstar candidates,' said Bill McInturff, a GOP pollster who co-conducts the NBC News poll. 'If Republicans had superstar candidates, this would already be over and very clear.'"

Dr. Oz isn't a superstar?!

"Brazil's far-right president, Jair Bolsonaro, has broken the silence he had maintained since being defeated in Sunday's presidential election.

He thanked voters who had cast their ballots for him but did not acknowledge defeat.

But he did not contest the result either, as some had feared he would."

...so he's in political purgatory?

I'm guessing his administration's people are co-operating so they don't get sued and put on trials.

Thruth Thruth Fwiffo Fwiffo this is a total chad move by the quebecers.
It is a predictable political ploy and meaningless. We cannot become a republic without constitutional reform and opening up the constitution is like opening Pandora's box; all kinds of old ghosts also come out.

The process would require a mandate via a national referendum. It requires approval by both parliament and the senate. Then all 10 provincial legislatures must support it.

If Canadians did desire to break with the monarchy, it would not be a US style-republic. I'd be happy with a parliamentary republic which replaces the Queen of Canada with a non-royal president, e.g., converting the Governor General to a President like Barbados did, which preserves the Westminster parliamentary model.

30BF979D-18EB-4ED1-86F2-0DEA0DCD4906.jpeg

I was telling someone here about Aus politics and gave the example of the Sex Party. I then had to do some googling to see what happened to them - weird that they merged with the bicycle party but cool that they are still around and holding some state seats.

Lindsey Graham on midterms: ‘Definitely not a Republican wave, that is for darn sure’

Back to bed for me. Of note, Herschel Walker is ahead. JD Vance won. Dropbear continues to have the same boss.

Oz loses to the stroke guy.

Last edited:
Trump's DiSantis diss + no red wave + the underperformance of his endorsees = erosion of Trump voter support for his brand of leadership. Wait for the polling and see how many Trump voters want him to shut the fuck up and how many will obviously vote a Republican ticket with Trump but would vote for DiSantis in a primary.

Brains are melting because they can't rationalize Trump shitting on a Republican's Republican.

This occurred to me in the OR today. So I say to the room, in hospital slang, gorked means being brain dead, right? Dr. Oz is a physician, and would know this term. So I'm thinking he is extra butt hurt because the Doc lost to the semi-gorked guy in a Carhartt hoodie. A fucking gork! That got a chuckle from the crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom