The Next Election, Political News, and Other Forms of Comedy (US, UK, & Intl)

So Republicans win the house, but don’t have a speaker yet. What happens if no one gets the 218 votes?

“But a small handful of Republicans could keep McCarthy from winning the speaker’s gavel during the public vote on Jan. 3, the first day of the new Congress. He needs 218 Republican votes on the House floor — Democrats won't help — meaning it’s possible fewer than a dozen conservatives could derail McCarthy’s chances and throw the process into certain chaos.

But Freedom Caucus leaders are pumping on the brakes. They’ve presented a growing list of demands to McCarthy in exchange for their support. The first could be the most damaging to McCarthy: conservatives wants him to reinstate a rule to make it easier to force a vote to oust a sitting House speaker — something known as a ‘motion to vacate.‘

That’s what happened in 2015 when a Freedom Caucus co-founder, then-Rep. Mark Meadows, called for a vote to remove Republican Speaker John Boehner from power; Boehner chose to resign rather than force his members to take an unpopular vote on his speakership.

If McCarthy agrees to that demand, it would mean the threat of recall will be hanging above his head if he makes unpopular decisions on things like government spending, debt and impeachment.

If McCarthy can’t cobble together 218 once again, it’s unclear who could. Scalise would be next in line but also would have the same challenges as McCarthy. Conservative leaders also have been distrusting of GOP Conference Chair Elise Stefanik, R-N.Y., a one-time moderate turned close Trump ally who is currently the No. 3 in the caucus. Other names floated include Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., who has his eye on the Financial Services Committee gavel.”

How long does it take to count votes out west? It's Friday and they still haven't counted once much less recount and challenges and lawsuits.

Blake Masters is 5 points behind with an 80 percent tally this morning since election night and NBC still says it is too early to call.

It ends with The Economist comparing Britain's economy to Italy.

"Britain has been in managed – or mismanaged – decline since its costly victory in the Second World War, a quarter-century after the British Empire reached its peak. That decline seems to be accelerating as Brexit, the pandemic, the energy crisis and seemingly endless political turmoil work their dark magic.

Every decade or so since the war ended, a currency or economic crisis or an epically bad political decision has pushed Britain’s economy – and global stature – ever lower. The pound’s devaluation in 1949 ensured the rise, and ultimate dominance, of the U.S. dollar. The chaos of the 1970s – strikes, social unrest, gaping budget deficits, soaring oil prices and inflation – intensified the country’s tribulations and triggered a bailout by the International Monetary Fund.

Then came another currency crisis – 'Black Wednesday' of 1992 – that pushed Britain out of the European Exchange Rate Mechanism, which had been designed as the warm-up act to the euro. In 2007, the collapse of mortgage lender Northern Rock was instrumental in launching the global financial crisis a year later. After that, Britain was convulsed by Brexit, nearly flattened by the pandemic and, lately, shocked by the fallout of the war in Ukraine – an energy crisis and another bout of crippling inflation."

Inflation, cost of living, shortages, war, climate change, viruses... So many things to worry about in this world yet whether people can buy tickets to the Taylor Swift concerts (plural) is an agenda item for politicians.

“Based on recent developments, including Trump’s announcement that he is a candidate for president in the next election, and the current president’s intention to be a candidate in the next election, I have concluded it is in the public interest to appoint a special counsel,”

If he didn't announce he was running then there would be no need for a special counsel? Still salty over not being confirmed to the Supreme Court?

Illegals?!

"The rise is driven by people arriving legally from outside the EU and the resumption of post-pandemic travel.

Reception of Afghan and Ukrainian refugees and people from Hong Kong are other factors."

Nope.

"Today's figures will intensify debates over the role of overseas workers into the UK economy and wider labour market - weeks after Home Secretary Suella Braverman said she wanted to resurrect a repeatedly missed government target to reduce net migration to below 100,000."

"The prime minister has said he wants net migration to reduce, he has not put a specific timeframe on that."

“During Saturday night's protest in Shanghai - China's biggest city and a global financial hub in the east of the country - people were heard openly shouting slogans such as ’Xi Jinping, step down‘ and ’Communist party, step down’”

But there aren’t any other parties if they step down….there would be…anarchy.

No one thinks it is weird that a white supremacist would be helping Kanye West or vice versa? Last I checked he wasn't mixed race or something. The enemy of enemy is my friend?

No one thinks it is weird that a white supremacist would be helping Kanye West or vice versa? Last I checked he wasn't mixed race or something. The enemy of enemy is my friend?

Mental illness and the common bond of antisemitism. Fuentes had a famous and rich backer, while Kanye gets a ‘political adviser’ fueling his presidential aspirations.

Mental illness and the common bond of antisemitism. Fuentes had a famous and rich backer, while Kanye gets a ‘political adviser’ fueling his presidential aspirations.

It says Kanye set up Trump. After they finish their antisemitic agendas, what are Fuentes and Kanye supposed to do after that? Fuentes returns to lynching Kanye?

It's just bizzare.

_127828822_mediaitem127828819.jpg

Let's share our working mother stories together shall we...

Does that mean they revive civil war era punishment like firing squads?
I mean, Osama Bin Laden was charged with seditious conspiracy wasn’t he?

Hataree and Christian Front weren’t convicted, as I recall, but some of the Pierre Rican revolutionaries of the 70s were. Don’t think they were executed.

It says Kanye set up Trump. After they finish their antisemitic agendas, what are Fuentes and Kanye supposed to do after that? Fuentes returns to lynching Kanye?

It's just bizzare.

How can a black guy be Nazi? Is he going to do the Michael Jackson treatment? Do people remember about the Third Reich and its obsession with racial purity? Or do we just use the word Nazi when it's an evil person who doesn't agree with what I believe?
So you are saying that being a fan of Hitler doesn’t mean you are a Nazi?

Also, remember that they were more than happy to enter into alliances with the untermenschen whenever expedient.

0ECA0640-B9A5-4766-A142-9DCA26EA985E.jpeg

So you are saying that being a fan of Hitler doesn’t mean you are a Nazi?

Also, remember that they were more than happy to enter into alliances with the untermenschen whenever expedient.

You make it sound like I'm condoning it. I'm not. I just find it illogical but then again I told an Indian mate of mine not to wander into the supporters group who are dressed in all black and are all ethnically white but he still did because he thought they were more spirited.

You make it sound like I'm condoning it. I'm not. I just find it illogical but then again I told an Indian mate of mine not to wander into the supporters group who are dressed in all black and are all ethnically white but he still did because he thought they were more spirited.
Exactly. The whole ideology is illogical. Fascism is as rooted in small dick energy as it is in anything written by Heidegger. They have always been hypocrites, forming alliances with the people they regard as subhuman. And there have always been people from those groups willing to form alliances with these same people who would like to exterminate them. A hundred years ago it was arabs bonding over a common antisemitism and today it’s a celebrity battling with mental health issues.

I heard about this on Sky News this past weekend. She is qualified on the basis of what?

She’s not going to jail, unfortunately. She enjoys parliamentary immunity.

Oh. So maybe it's not so bad if she gets into an appeals process.

And that is the key take-away from this story?

Well - for me, yes. Because she wanted to run again but looking like that, six years of prison - she won't be coming back like Lula at 75.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom