The SF/AAAC/FNB trainwreck thread

Pimpernel Smith

Speaking of blackmailers' charters and such, is there a #MeToo if you're a bloke and get your knees touched by another bloke? Because I have stories to tell that could bring down entire governments.
The old tactic was too slip their hand on your knee in the car and exclaim: "Sorry, I thought that was the gear stick!'' In the hope it would lead somewhere.

Mattrick

Suit looks good, but the text:

"Staying elegant while stretching your glutes.
Seriously, always interesting how bespoke jackets hold lines when in movement, even extreme ones.
There will always be a position you can find where the collar comes off the neck, but the structure and cut means it always holds together better than RTW: one reason some tailors would say you look better in bespoke even if it wasn’t made for you."

I fail to see how this pose should worry anybody's RTW tailoring.

tumblr_pe151jUwcG1rugtzko1_1280.jpg

Journeyman

Supporter
Seriously, always interesting how bespoke jackets hold lines when in movement, even extreme ones.
There will always be a position you can find where the collar comes off the neck, but the structure and cut means it always holds together better than RTW: one reason some tailors would say you look better in bespoke even if it wasn’t made for you.
That really doesn't make logical sense. I don't care how well made a bespoke garment is, if you aren't a similar shape to the original owner of the garment, it's not going to fit you well, look good on you or "hold together better than RTW".

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
That really doesn't make logical sense. I don't care how well made a bespoke garment is, if you aren't a similar shape to the original owner of the garment, it's not going to fit you well, look good on you or "hold together better than RTW".
Hey now, we've got no room for logic round these parts.

Pimpernel Smith

Suit looks good, but the text:

"Staying elegant while stretching your glutes.
There will always be a position you can find where the collar comes off the neck, but the structure and cut means it always holds together better than RTW: one reason some tailors would say you look better in bespoke even if it wasn’t made for you."

I fail to see how this pose should worry anybody's RTW tailoring.

View attachment 32985
Looks like he's spotted some dog turd!

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
i want every one of you limpwristed keyboard warriors to take a look at this, the current iteration of the StyFo home page:

Articles | Styleforum 2020-02-06 04-48-43.jpg

This is on my 27" monitor. I can't even begin to imagine what its like on your phone.

I think of all the times I could have sold this place out to advertisers. I'd be making a killing. And for what, some stupid principles and ideals?

7 years next month.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
General Chat | Styleforum 2020-02-06 05-05-25.jpg

front page of general chat. remind me again how many spam posts we've had here over the years?

foxandhound

i want every one of you limpwristed keyboard warriors to take a look at this, the current iteration of the StyFo home page:

View attachment 33184

This is on my 27" monitor. I can't even begin to imagine what its like on your phone.

I think of all the times I could have sold this place out to advertisers. I'd be making a killing. And for what, some stupid principles and ideals?

7 years next month.
tenor-28.gif

Seven years. Bloody hell Rambo Rambo - congrats, mate. Cheers for putting up with all the shitfighting and shennanigans that goes on here. It's truly appreciated. This place is a godsend at times. It puts SF to shame. And cheers, too, for not selling out. Look at the state of that place. Crompers, that bald headed pay-for-play bespoke bandit, looks positively tame by comparison.

You should have way more members, but it could change the demographics a bit. I like the high ratio of scallywags and degnerates to normies we have going on at the moment. Of course, I include myself in such illustrious company.

Journeyman

Supporter
I wasn't sure if this is the right place to put it, but this post is an example of something that seems to happen quite a lot on Styleforum - people feel that they *must* have something, and must have it right then and there and damn the expense... but then discover that it doesn't fit, or that it doesn't match their wardrobe or their style and then have to offload it at a fraction of the amount that the paid.

Is anyone interested in these? I just don't wear them. Comes with original everything. I paid $1100 for them from Ascot. The leather is super fine and soft. Accepting offers. I do not expect to get the full Ascot price for them.
When he was asked why on earth he paid US$1100 for a pair of Vass shoes that he has clearly not worn at all, he responded:

I was stupid and I ordered these right when Vass was changing their website. Since their website was down, I thought they did not have one and that the only way to order Vass shoes was through a middleman more or less like Enzo.

Last edited:

Pimpernel Smith

I wasn't sure if this is the right place to put it, but this post is an example of something that seems to happen quite a lot on Styleforum - people feel that they *must* have something, and must have it right then and there and damn the expense... but then discover that it doesn't fit, or that it doesn't match their wardrobe or their style and then have to offload it at a fraction of the amount that the paid.

When he was asked why on earth he paid US$1100 for a pair of Vass shoes that he has clearly not worn at all, he responded:
That's a display of the male hunter human condition. You want something so badly, you think when you get it, it will be a victory and the answer to everything. But then 20 minutes later, or over the weekend, you'll be on the prowl for something else.

Kingstonian

It is addictive, obsessive behaviour. Might continue for a while and then it disappears or something else replaces it. Examples are mafoofan and New York Ranger respectively.

This reddit post is an example:-

Journeyman

Supporter
It is addictive, obsessive behaviour. Might continue for a while and then it disappears or something else replaces it.
Absolutely. That Reddit post is really good, and it's good to see that it prompted some discussion over there.

There's certainly been individuals with that sort of behaviour on SF from time to time (and I think that most people on SF, including myself, are guilty of it to some extent). Some people stick with one type of thing, while others cycle through various clothing-related obsessions - business clothing; business shoes; casual/streetwear clothing; sneakers; watches and more.

At least shoes aren't *that* bad (although if you're buying multiple pairs of Edward Greens it could be a problem). I'm both amazed and saddened by people who seem compelled to buy eight or ten watches, with each watch costing $4 - $5,000 and sometimes many multiples of that.

It's also amazing how quickly people will graduate from buying Loake or Allen Edmonds - and thinking that they're quite expensive - to buying Edward Green or John Lobb Paris shoes and then talking about the merits of high-end shoes.

Great White Snark

Who do you reckon this is/was?

I see echoes of Foo and NYR as stated, along with hints of the obsessive compulsive Noodles as well.

I dare say many of us can relate to some extent, buying shit we don’t need, obsessing over the next whatever, the prize never satisfying the thrill of the chase, but healthy people acknowledge their silly hobby/obsession enough to keep it in check. When you’re liquidating the 401k or you can’t be present with your family cos you’re twitching about some impending eBay sale its time to quit.

Great White Snark

Absolutely. That Reddit post is really good, and it's good to see that it prompted some discussion over there.

There's certainly been individuals with that sort of behaviour on SF from time to time (and I think that most people on SF, including myself, are guilty of it to some extent). Some people stick with one type of thing, while others cycle through various clothing-related obsessions - business clothing; business shoes; casual/streetwear clothing; sneakers; watches and more.

At least shoes aren't *that* bad (although if you're buying multiple pairs of Edward Greens it could be a problem). I'm both amazed and saddened by people who seem compelled to buy eight or ten watches, with each watch costing $4 - $5,000 and sometimes many multiples of that.

It's also amazing how quickly people will graduate from buying Loake or Allen Edmonds - and thinking that they're quite expensive - to buying Edward Green or John Lobb Paris shoes and then talking about the merits of high-end shoes.
Well there’s at least one person on this forum who is completely down the rabbit hole on that.

One think that keeps me from falling in is knowledge of the law of diminishing returns. It’s fine to own or aspire to having some nice things around you which bring you enjoyment, but are those $1500 Edward Greens REALLY sooooo much better than the $500 Carminas? Of course not. And to the person on the subway or in the restaurant they wouldn’t know the difference anyway. How much value did you get from the extra $1000 you spent? It’s just another form of addiction. I’m glad the fellahas acknowledged it and is seeking the next step.

Kingstonian

It’s better than being an alcoholic or drug addict.

Maybe he could switch to Fedora Lounge? Then there is only the hat to worry about; and they are not too expensive.

From the neck down you can source everything from Walmart.

ballmouse

I'm not sure if the interest in footwear is really anything bad. It was the part about offloading his 401k investments that was questionable. You replace footwear with food and dining at restaurants and he sounds like any other yuppie.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
It’s better than being an alcoholic or drug addict.

Maybe he could switch to Fedora Lounge? Then there is only the hat to worry about; and they are not too expensive.

From the neck down you can source everything from Walmart.
Fedora Lounge is no different and not immune to similar behaviour if you are acquainted with it. Fedoras are not the focus but high end leather is. $1000 to $2500 USD FQHH jackets are commonplace. $1000+ Japanese work boots and engineer boots. All kinds of fit issues and people selling just like on SF. Plus the high end street wear and denim.

Any such site suffers from Grail Sale Syndrome.

Lobbster

I think you old codgers undererstimate the age of most who go down this consumerist rabbit hole. It's usually guys in their early 20s looking to dress better or family guys in their 30s who are bored and instead of going getting a hobby they get sucked into cordovan boots and before they know it drop 2k on a pair of EGs without ever having been fitted. Most have never made any money and now want instant gratification, for one that's the 5th Rolex, the 3rd bike or the 20th fountain pen. In your 50s you know that all that crap will just collect dust on some shelf but for them it's probably about the thrill of feeling something apart from their wife snoring next them watching Netflix, the old hunter and gatherer.

Still, 10k on shoes is hardly outlandish these days. That's what? 6 or 7 pairs of EGs? Maybe double as many Carminas? While you shouldn't liquidate your kid's college fund even a minor rotation of 5 or 6 pairs will set you back 3 or 4 thousand $ and unless you're eating spaghetti with ketchup for months it's fine.

Kingstonian

Fedora Lounge is no different and not immune to similar behaviour if you are acquainted with it. Fedoras are not the focus but high end leather is. $1000 to $2500 USD FQHH jackets are commonplace. $1000+ Japanese work boots and engineer boots. All kinds of fit issues and people selling just like on SF. Plus the high end street wear and denim.

I only look at ‘What hat are you wearing today?’. So I stand corrected.

Still, if he was to throw his lot in with the folks on that particular thread he would be quids in.

CodPiece

In your 50s you know that all that crap will just collect dust on some shelf
Well said. I have many beautiful things gathering dust. There's a bit of stress to it, too. A guilty pang that the beautiful thing is sitting unused, the fear of damage. Mediocre objects are long gone, but having 2-3 interesting pieces (audio, particularly) can still create a lot of mental clutter.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing

I’ve never posted in FL, but I lurk in the B&S forums pretty regularly for this reason.

3rd bike? Pfft. Amateurs.
Post pics in the bike thread for all of us to get our vicarious consumption high

Last edited:

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
I’ve never posted in FL, but I lurk in the B&S forums pretty regularly for this reason.

Post pics in the bike thread for of us who get out vicarious consumption high
$1695 retail worn a couple of times Himel x Orvis limited edition (75 jackets done in 2016). Could have got custom instead (not from Himel). But bought off the interwebz because it was Himel and cheaper. Of course most complaints were a wide neck and too long sleeves. Orvis often has weird dimensions to their own creations and collaborations.

1595177020732.png

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
i thought we had a doghouse bike thread?
some slacker hasn’t updated it in forever.

$1695 retail worn a couple of times Himel x Orvis limited edition (75 jackets done in 2016). Could have got custom instead (not from Himel). But bought off the interwebz because it was Himel and cheaper. Of course most complaints were a wide neck and too long sleeves. Orvis often has weird dimensions to their own creations and collaborations.

View attachment 34176
That’s definitely got a bit of a Drugstore Cowboy vibe to it.

Top Bottom