Things You Just Don't Get

We just offered a free buffet lunch at work at 1300. This is quite late by North American terms. However it didn't stop people from eating their original lunch and then going for not once but twice at the buffet. How much do people eat?!

I've found it tends to be the back office folks who will eat most of the free food. Anytime I'm with young women or non-support folks, there's usually a lot of the free food left over.

The receptionist was asking me if I wanted left over date squares and I said I'm obese.

As part of the executive team I was supposed to partake and mingle with the staff so I decided to go out for lunch and attend my 1330 meeting.

We just offered a free buffet lunch at work at 1300. This is quite late by North American terms. However it didn't stop people from eating their original lunch and then going for not once but twice at the buffet. How much do people eat?!
Eat at noon or two pm to avoid the busy time.

I was always surprised by the people who did not bother with lunch, in the days of good, inexpensive staff restaurants before outsourcing hot desking etc. In the days when pubs offered cheap food I would mostly eat at work but occasionally have a ploughman’s at the pub instead.

Eat at noon or two pm to avoid the busy time.

I was always surprised by the people who did not bother with lunch, in the days of good, inexpensive staff restaurants before outsourcing hot desking etc. In the days when pubs offered cheap food I would mostly eat at work but occasionally have a ploughman’s at the pub instead.

I don't eat lunch now simply because it's the last hour or so between myself and Europe to do a conference call.

I was speaking to a chap from London and he said lunch time drinking is now banned even in the City of London. I was a bit shocked. I know Lloyd's put in a ban to lunch time pints but the rest of my insurance brethren too? I have to wonder how that affects revenues of all those pubs and bars in Leadenhall market.

I don't eat lunch now simply because it's the last hour or so between myself and Europe to do a conference call.

I was speaking to a chap from London and he said lunch time drinking is now banned even in the City of London. I was a bit shocked. I know Lloyd's put in a ban to lunch time pints but the rest of my insurance brethren too? I have to wonder how that affects revenues of all those pubs and bars in Leadenhall market.
If not actually banned it would not do much for your reputation.

Pre-work drinking used to good. Smithfield market or Southwark Tavern near The Borough market. A few pints of Guinness and a cooked breakfast- ideal if you then had a boring presentation to listen to. The Cock downstairs in the market is now closed and I think The Hope is not what it was (full of posties off the night shift at Mount Pleasant).

In what universe is 1.00 pm a late lunch?

If not actually banned it would not do much for your reputation.

Pre-work drinking used to good. Smithfield market or Southwark Tavern near The Borough market. A few pints of Guinness and a cooked breakfast- ideal if you then had a boring presentation to listen to. The Cock downstairs in the market is now closed and I think The Hope is not what it was (full of posties off the night shift at Mount Pleasant).

I notice there's still a bit of work day lunch time drinking culture in London. It's pretty much dead everywhere else.

The American South is weird on mealtimes. Seems most people consider lunch as either 11am or maybe as late as noon. Yet dinner may not be until seven or even eight.

^

On farms here in Maine (and in Iowa apparently, from the novel I'm currently reading, A Thousand Acres, well not precisely currently, currently I'm typing this shit, but you get the drift) lunch is dinner and dinner is supper. Giving rise to the phrase dinner pail for lunch box. At least here in Maine. I don't know about Iowa, the book doesn't mention it. I love Iowa because in 2012 the Republican primary straw poll was won by Michelle Bachman, the coolest ditz who ever lived, politically speaking.

Oh and please, don't bring up the fire wood pass-through chute thing.

^

On farms here in Maine (and in Iowa apparently, from the novel I'm currently reading, A Thousand Acres, well not precisely currently, currently I'm typing this shit, but you get the drift) lunch is dinner and dinner is supper. Giving rise to the phrase dinner pail for lunch box. At least here in Maine. I don't know about Iowa, the book doesn't mention it. I love Iowa because in 2012 the Republican primary straw poll was won by Michelle Bachman, the coolest ditz who ever lived, politically speaking.

Where I am from, we use to call lunch dinner and then the meal at dinner time, tea.

And then you have loo and toilet instead of lavatory. Always found that interesting that the middle class family members would look a little aghast when someone said ''Where's the loo?''

Better than American euphemisms like rest room, powder room or bathroom.

As dropbear pointed out in North American (cities at least) lunch is 12pm. Some people even try to eat 15-30 minutes earlier than that. Meetings tend to be scheduled again starting at 1pm.

Better than American euphemisms like rest room, powder room or bathroom.

Washroom in Canada. Bathroom for the ones in private residences. Restroom throws me off all the time. The last room I want to "rest" in is the restroom especially if it's a public one. I want to finish and get out of there as quick as I can.

Following on from the death of that Brazilian bossa nova bloke, I nominate Latin American dancing.

As Billy Connolly once said, who does the pasodoble - apart from formation dance teams on the telly, or drunk people on holiday in Spain?

I have no idea what the difference is between the rhumba and the samba and the merengue.

I do know that women like salsa dancing - but men don’t. So if you are desparate to meet women go to a salsa class.

Following on from the death of that Brazilian bossa nova bloke, I nominate Latin American dancing.

As Billy Connolly once said, who does the pasodoble - apart from formation dance teams on the telly, or drunk people on holiday in Spain?

I have no idea what the difference is between the rhumba and the samba and the merengue.

I do know that women like salsa dancing - but men don’t. So if you are desparate to meet women go to a salsa class.

I think salsa's way out of dance fashion. Plus all these dating Apps now mean you don't have to bother with embarrassing dance routines to get yourself a date.

Learned a bit of salsa and bachata dancing on my trip to Colombia. Everyone there dances. And if you're a foreigner they want to teach you.

I think salsa's way out of dance fashion.

During the Kingston beer festival I discovered that the venue - the working men’s club - had big salsa events. Teachers used to fly in from the continent to it and the standard was fairly high. I am not an expert on dance fashion but I remember lots of women attending such dances.

Mambo number 5 a la Jim Royle would be more my style, but I think they made up their own steps for that.
https://gold.uktv.co.uk/royle-family/video/royle-family-mambo-no-5-2000/

I'm pretty sure women on my mobile who salsa dance don't do it with other women every Thursday. There are male partners. That said a good lot of them look like they are interested in other men so as a heterosexual man showing up to salsa lessons you're still winning.

Couples who are in matching outfits. Colours for top and in this case shorts. What message is that supposed to send?

Couples who are in matching outfits. Colours for top and in this case shorts. What message is that supposed to send?

The match-matchy look is currently a thing amongst the sheeple who follow fast fashion. Especially young Asians who embrace it. Do some reading and you will be informed. It is no longer just soccer parents wearing matching team jackets or old folks who were the prime demographic for this previously.

The last couple I saw was white and at least middle aged in light blue tops with similar shade khaki shorts and a tourist map. It was pretty much a cry to be mugged.

I always think that couples who hold hands ALL the time are in a folie au deu where one is the controlling partner.

The match-matchy look is currently a thing amongst the sheeple who follow fast fashion. Especially young Asians who embrace it.

It's not only young Asians: Meet Bon and Pon

They're so cute!

1080.jpg

They've got their own Instagram, too: Bon.Pon Instagram

To me, it’s like couples with a shared email or social media account. A sign of deep insecurity or lack of identity, though a little more understandable in old folks.

At one time, relatively recently, I was that vinyl junkie. Big money for Blue Note's remastered on 12'' 45's and the like. Then I got bored with the intensity of it. At the weekend I was in Gouda and there was a record fair on and also I went into the two remaining record shops. I found it a slightly junk shop 78 shellec vibe, a bit musty.

I use to look down at streaming as a poor man's access to music, especially in the days of MP3's. But now with Hi-Res streaming services, like Qobuz, which is my choice, I really cannot perceive ever wanting to own hard copy music ever again. The physical artifact of the album cover is nice, and spinning of the album, but it doesn't beat instant access to everything in a dynamic playlist DJ style and to a sound quality that is equal to vinyl or very nearly.

At one time, relatively recently, I was that vinyl junkie. Big money for Blue Note's remastered on 12'' 45's and the like. Then I got bored with the intensity of it. At the weekend I was in Gouda and there was a record fair on and also I went into the two remaining record shops. I found it a slightly junk shop 78 shellec vibe, a bit musty.

I use to look down at streaming as a poor man's access to music, especially in the days of MP3's. But now with Hi-Res streaming services, like Qobuz, which is my choice, I really cannot perceive ever wanting to own hard copy music ever again. The physical artifact of the album cover is nice, and spinning of the album, but it doesn't beat instant access to everything in a dynamic playlist DJ style and to a sound quality that is equal to vinyl or very nearly.

Where is LelandJ LelandJ to speak about his record obsession. I believe he has the original acetate of the sounds captured from the Great Caruso felating boys. Ask him.

Where is LelandJ LelandJ to speak about his record obsession. I believe he has the original acetate of the sounds captured from the Great Caruso felating boys. Ask him.
he hasn't been on in over a month. i hope he wasn't involved in a tragic volleyball accident.

I'm a mix of both. I do still purchase vinyl & CD's. I also utilize streaming platforms which just makes it easy to listen to whatever I want with just a click.

Jehovah's Witness.

Last weekend when it was 45c humidex and a good 30 something Celsius - there was a Jehovah's Witness conference next to the stadium where I was watching footy. I walked past throngs of men and women in formal business dress. I was asking my mate what the point of this religion was. After all, only 144,000 people make it to heaven. Why be evangelical? You should kick people out of the religion so your chances are higher to get to heaven. To which my mate replied, "Is it 144,000 people each year?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom