Things You Just Don't Get

Eating at IKEA. Doing manual labour to move furniture boxes to the till makes you hungry?

In the summer I see men at their worst. Yesterday I saw a middle aged man who are pudgy and has more hair growing on their body than their scalp sport a t shirt, shorts and a (singular) fresh tattoo. Are they trying to be hip or they don’t realize how ridiculous it looks?

In the summer I see men at their worst. Yesterday I saw a middle aged man who are pudgy and has more hair growing on their body than their scalp sport a t shirt, shorts and a (singular) fresh tattoo. Are they trying to be hip or they don’t realize how ridiculous it looks?
Strength in numbers. Monkey does as monkey sees.

I am more puzzled by tattoos on women. They normally have more sense.

I was gunna say you’ve been invaded by Australians. But only one tattoo. Nope.

And the biggest joke, beside the price of the medicine......is that there was several attacks on gays after Pride, by Uber drivers and gangs of youths:

Adult couples who persist to double up into revolving doors. They're designed for one person!

How does this white bloke with curly blond hair score this smoking hot girl with a black hijab? Did he give up bacon? Did he give up drinking?

It's almost the beginning of autumn. It's 28c or 29c today. I see men wearing puffy winter like coats and at the same time shorts. I would forgive them if they were from Dubai where this is frigid ice age temperatures to them but this bloke was white as plaster.

It's almost the beginning of autumn. It's 28c or 29c today. I see men wearing puffy winter like coats and at the same time shorts. I would forgive them if they were from Dubai where this is frigid ice age temperatures to them but this bloke was white as plaster.

Much depends on the atmospherics. Here today, it peaked at 25C, but it didn't feel that warm and it's definitely autumn. The leaves are turning orange and falling. I managed to get in, what is likely the last cut of the lawn this year. The bumber crop from the apple trees continues, despite the climate emergency. Not so many wasps this year, the mosquitos weren't so bad, but I managed to get a three in the row on my head that has taken nearly two weeks to go. The fruit flies are hanging about open wine bottles, but they've slow down now and are easy to get rid with a well placed grab or calp of hands.

I like the autumn, that last glimmer before the dark nights chug on in for the 6 next months.

I have no idea why my lymph nodes suddenly flare up.

Dressing up for Halloween in a corporate office. Why?

I know. I find it pretty lame too. A bit of personality in an impersonal office environment?

you should feel lucky that no one is wearing Rider jerseys on casual Friday’s

I know. I find it pretty lame too. A bit of personality in an impersonal office environment?

you should feel lucky that no one is wearing Rider jerseys on casual Friday’s

Actually my office is casual year round. I just hired a new director and he came out of the financial district. He made the remark people seem to wander in with their pyjamas here.

Of course the executives are all at least business casual.

Actually my office is casual year round. I just hired a new director and he came out of the financial district. He made the remark people seem to wander in with their pyjamas here.

that is kind of depressing

Try working in AoD

Hell is being in some office where the office social club person organises “fun” events and days. Ok if you are a prole but as the boss who has to be seen to be not a total prick (only a partial prick) is a fucking nightmare. Nothing worse than some fucker (me) who hates it ......... trying to be “fun”

Ok I have a idea that would be fun for me. I have to cut staffing. Let’s say everyone, not me, writes out and signs their resignation. Then we have a huge party. I’ll pay. We all get thoroughly stoned/drunk/snickered/munted. Put all the resignations ina box. I draw out 5 unlucky ones post them off to personal. And then we all stay on for a dance and more drinks happy in the knowledge we now have a balanced budget and no difficult decisions to make.

Hell is being in some office where the office social club person organises “fun” events and days. Ok if you are a prole but as the boss who has to be seen to be not a total prick (only a partial prick) is a fucking nightmare. Nothing worse than some fucker (me) who hates it ......... trying to be “fun”

Ok I have a idea that would be fun for me. I have to cut staffing. Let’s say everyone, not me, writes out and signs their resignation. Then we have a huge party. I’ll pay. We all get thoroughly stoned/drunk/snickered/munted. Put all the resignations ina box. I draw out 5 unlucky ones post them off to personal. And then we all stay on for a dance and more drinks happy in the knowledge we now have a balanced budget and no difficult decisions to make.

In the end some CxOs didn't get dressed so I was not the only one. What's the difference between what you described and involuntary redundancies? To the person being terminated it's the same thing.

People who watch movies on airplanes without headphones plugged in and subtitles are turned off. They enjoy the Charlie Chaplin era of moving pictures?

What happened to global warming? Snow in Toronto in November. Our average temperature is supposed to be 8c-9c. Also saw it was snowing in Tehran.

I went to my first live comedy show yesterday. It was a travelling group of comics in a pub. I've only ever seen comedians on television so this was a new experience.

The first 20 year old who had an afro hair and said he was white and gay. This became his opportunity to go on and on about sex jokes that was barely funny. Finally he had to talk about couch surfing and his own poverty to get some laughs.

The second was some South African who uses f@ck as punctuation and focused picking on audiences including yours truly. After he finished with that he started criticising the establishment and then left. Bloody annoying wanker.

Ironically the older of the comics were the funniest ones but even the star headline act had to resort to parodying over the hill celebrities to get laughs.

I'm not sure how people make a living doing this but the barely 90 minute show was entertaining for the last half hour.

This one woman was liquored up with a bottle of wine and laughed hysterically at everything.

As a man wearing a pink jumper - bright pink - and then ripped black denim jeans exposing both knee caps amongst other things. Then of course paired with a winter overcoat.

I went to my first live comedy show yesterday. It was a travelling group of comics in a pub. I've only ever seen comedians on television so this was a new experience.

The first 20 year old who had an afro hair and said he was white and gay. This became his opportunity to go on and on about sex jokes that was barely funny. Finally he had to talk about couch surfing and his own poverty to get some laughs.

The second was some South African who uses f@ck as punctuation and focused picking on audiences including yours truly. After he finished with that he started criticising the establishment and then left. Bloody annoying wanker.

Ironically the older of the comics were the funniest ones but even the star headline act had to resort to parodying over the hill celebrities to get laughs.

I'm not sure how people make a living doing this but the barely 90 minute show was entertaining for the last half hour.

This one woman was liquored up with a bottle of wine and laughed hysterically at everything.

Use to love those comedy shows. I was pally with Henry Normal back in the day, and I remember after one live comedy event he told me he was working on a film script about Factory Records. I considered that too much of a select audience to make it to the screen....how wrong I was! And what a bloody good film.

The best was when there was good banter and dealing with hecklers with ruthless precision.

What the world needs now is some piss taking comedians able to become the zeitgeist in the mainstream.

As a man wearing a pink jumper - bright pink - and then ripped black denim jeans exposing both knee caps amongst other things. Then of course paired with a winter overcoat.

Shocking, neon pink: so 80s, so right!

Use to love those comedy shows. I was pally with Henry Normal back in the day, and I remember after one live comedy event he told me he was working on a film script about Factory Records. I considered that too much of a select audience to make it to the screen....how wrong I was! And what a bloody good film.

The best was when there was good banter and dealing with hecklers with ruthless precision.

What the world needs now is some piss taking comedians able to become the zeitgeist in the mainstream.

Shocking, neon pink: so 80s, so right!

Shall I add he was Asian? Asian in the British sense of the word - not North American.

I'm standing by the Oculus in New York waiting for my lady friend. This woman takes off her jacket to pose in front of the World Trade Centre. As she goes to pick up her jacket a piece of ice crashes down on the pavement. Her and her friends then stare up at the Oculus - I presume trying to find out whether the ice came off the structure as it is a clear and sunny day. Then they move on and other tourists come to kick away the ice so they can continue take selfies from the position. It's clear these people are lost on how cold weather works.

Buying alcohol at the liquor store on New Year's Eve. The queues are massive. Bloody people in the queue don't ever drink alcohol so they have extra bottles of jager and hpnotiq and other worthless stuff at the till. Why would anyone subject themselves to that?

Buying alcohol at the liquor store on New Year's Eve. The queues are massive. Bloody people in the queue don't ever drink alcohol so they have extra bottles of jager and hpnotiq and other worthless stuff at the till. Why would anyone subject themselves to that?

Hpnotic........Def amateurs.

I took my friend's family to The Nutcracker. The kids loved it. The parents however had some interesting comments. Granted they are immigrants but they spent most if not all of their working life in North America so I was a bit disturbed they said they were surprised there weren't any spoken lines at a ballet. I said this is The Nutcracker. This is the Broadway show of ballets. There are constant scene and set changes. I know half the movements in the first act and all of the melodies in the second. I said the second half is like the greatest hits of ballet music. Even if you never saw The Nutcracker you knew it from movies, cartoons or advertisements. Astoundingly they only knew of one. We're talking about Tchaikovsky, a composer that can elicit triumphal joy and the depths of sorrow without words in one composition. They were equally surprised I said this was the fourth time I've seen it performed giving me a face that I must find it boring by now. It's a live performance. It has depth. You interpret and focus on different things with each viewing. The audience claps and reacts at different times. Live performances are organic.

Previously I had brought a lady friend to see Bizet's Carmen and never seeing the opera I knew half the arias already. The melodies are so famous I told her that they resonate with some recess of your memory from when you first heard it. As she came from another culture she said it was all new to her.

I had assumed this was an issue with people who did not grow up in Western culture until I met a lady from the west who said classical music wasn't a thing when she grew up.

I grew up in a household where my father played Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Chopin and Vivaldi. I assumed through media, school concerts, field trips, adverts, radio, the Three Tenors that one would be exposed to some form of classical music. My father was playing Italian opera arias on Christmas Eve in 2019. My mother and her sisters were all forced to play piano. I later learnt this as some vestige of Victorian education. My female cousins mostly all play piano as well up to instructor level. However, what I presume to be standard education in Western society is actually false. It's making me re-evaluate what I am doing with my friend's daughter or my previous surrogate daughter or what people expect me to do with my brother's baby. Apparently a steady digest of the symphony, ballet, theatre, opera, and annual trips to the museum and art gallery are not de rigueur.

I took my friend's family to The Nutcracker. The kids loved it. The parents however had some interesting comments. Granted they are immigrants but they spent most if not all of their working life in North America so I was a bit disturbed they said they were surprised there weren't any spoken lines at a ballet. I said this is The Nutcracker. This is the Broadway show of ballets. There are constant scene and set changes. I know half the movements in the first act and all of the melodies in the second. I said the second half is like the greatest hits of ballet music. Even if you never saw The Nutcracker you knew it from movies, cartoons or advertisements. Astoundingly they only knew of one. We're talking about Tchaikovsky, a composer that can elicit triumphal joy and the depths of sorrow without words in one composition. They were equally surprised I said this was the fourth time I've seen it performed giving me a face that I must find it boring by now. It's a live performance. It has depth. You interpret and focus on different things with each viewing. The audience claps and reacts at different times. Live performances are organic.

Previously I had brought a lady friend to see Bizet's Carmen and never seeing the opera I knew half the arias already. The melodies are so famous I told her that they resonate with some recess of your memory from when you first heard it. As she came from another culture she said it was all new to her.

I had assumed this was an issue with people who did not grow up in Western culture until I met a lady from the west who said classical music wasn't a thing when she grew up.

I grew up in a household where my father played Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Chopin and Vivaldi. I assumed through media, school concerts, field trips, adverts, radio, the Three Tenors that one would be exposed to some form of classical music. My father was playing Italian opera arias on Christmas Eve in 2019. My mother and her sisters were all forced to play piano. I later learnt this as some vestige of Victorian education. My female cousins mostly all play piano as well up to instructor level. However, what I presume to be standard education in Western society is actually false. It's making me re-evaluate what I am doing with my friend's daughter or my previous surrogate daughter or what people expect me to do with my brother's baby. Apparently a steady digest of the symphony, ballet, theatre, opera, and annual trips to the museum and art gallery are not de rigueur.

You miss the obvious: classical music is too long after the first 18-20 minutes. That's why I choose Duke Ellington.

The ballet is interesting, outside of Coppelia, does nothing for the non-initiated. Same with modern dance, especially when David Byrne grandma dances for us.

You miss the obvious: classical music is too long after the first 18-20 minutes. That's why I choose Duke Ellington.

The ballet is interesting, outside of Coppelia, does nothing for the non-initiated. Same with modern dance, especially when David Byrne grandma dances for us.

I didn't say jazz shouldn't also be part of a standard education but it doesn't displace classical music. Phantom of the Opera doesn't displace opera.

How can you be yawning and falling asleep in Phantom of the Opera?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom