This Week In News That Makes You Doubt Your Committment To Humanity

These people are daft. They left after the pandemic declaration without all their passports and without any status in the country they were departing knowing full well countries were closing up borders except to their own people and a few for even their own people. It was blatantly obvious with countries shutting off China at the end of January and the US banning Europe.

These people are daft. They left after the pandemic declaration without all their passports and without any status in the country they were departing knowing full well countries were closing up borders except to their own people and a few for even their own people. It was blatantly obvious with countries shutting off China at the end of January and the US banning Europe.
Enraged and dejected—my nine-year-old said she wanted to have the airline employee “fired!”

What a bunch of entitled pricks - what 9 year old learns to want people fired for not pandering to idiots.

XM11yXl.jpg

This is a lot of tweets to read through but the cliff notes version is two black girls went missing. Cops didnt do anything. Mom of one tracked phone to house And it turns out house was a child sex dungeon.

So if they were brown then someone would do something about it?

It reads a tragedy over all.

So if they were brown then someone would do something about it?

It reads a tragedy over all.
if they were white someone would do something about it.

although it seems like the cops were involved at least tangentially so who knows.

_113594043_epa_hi062565946.jpg

Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.

Thruth Thruth you ever seen this type of shit?

Sadly, yes. Canada's biggest racial divide involves its indigenous peoples which are First Nations, Inuit and Metis.

Cultural safety is a big issue for health care in First Nation's and Inuit communities. Paternalistic/superior/colonizer/settler/discriminatory/racist attitudes prevail some places more than others. Nurses, not surprisingly, are the biggest cunts in this regard, especially in rural/remote/northern settings. There are all sorts of cultural safety training at the Fed/First Nation level. First Nations patients have been forgotten or ignored in emergency departments and died. Cause of death? Being an Indian.

This case is surprising yet it is not. Usually that stuff is said with an inner voice not an outer voice. It seems like yesterday but it was in 1980 when a surgeon sewed beads onto the sutures when closing after an operation because he thought it would be a cool thing to do because she was Indian. I should see if I can find my old briefcase with Indian Affairs Canada embossed on it and take a pic. Official titles change but attitudes not so much.

A colleague of mine who would cross paths with me in Arctic communities was booted out of a community and banned for life for being rough with an Inuit kid in a way he would not have done with his non-Inuit patients. Well, between you and me he would do that to a white kid too but it was past the time of being able to beat, threaten and subdue pediatric patients. Putting one's hand over a child's nose and mouth to gently restrict breathing and telling them if they don't settle the fuck down you will kill them was effective in rare cases but sadly is no more.

It's a legacy of cultural genocide and the result of fucked up, failed attempts to assimilate. It wasn't until the 1950's that the Federal Government moved the Inuit into permanent settlements because of the caribou famines and the construction of the Distant Early Warning System and the fact that somehow nomadic people did not fit into an atomic age Canada. But, the Catholic Church was already on the scene for decades converting and buggering the faithful.

It's not just health care, it is policing too. Profiling, over-representation in prison and a higher risk of getting cop shot. Or farmer shot or home owner shot. Last two self-defence court cases had juries that sided against the dead First Nations man. All part of the messed up world of being indigenous in Canada. When I first moved to Inuvik, the only place I found to rent was a Catholic Church covered to apartments. One day my neighbour who is Gwichʼin (Dene) and a cabinet minister in the territorial legislative assembly says to me "hey, can you hear the screams at night in your place?"

But, there is a flip side to this and not to make light of this case which is awful, you could create a Reason #9247 Why Nunavut is #1 because you just don't find some of this shit anywhere else. Like Joanassie huffing propane and getting his lips frozen to the nozzle. Or the lads in Churchill who were huffing propane, didn't turn off the value and sat down for a post-huff smoke. Boom.

Last week a First Nations man came into emergency with cardiac issues so they put him on oxygen. He's waiting for the doc and decides to light up a smoke in the room and set himself on fire and basically burned his face off. If you are reading the Saskatchewan news and there is a roll-over accident with an ejection, you can be sure it will be from a First Nations community. If your car is stolen and then found burned, it will most likely be on a First Nations communities.

So yeah, I'm not surprised by this shit at all except for the rare instance of it being world starred.

Sadly, yes. Canada's biggest racial divide involves its indigenous peoples which are First Nations, Inuit and Metis.

Cultural safety is a big issue for health care in First Nation's and Inuit communities. Paternalistic/superior/colonizer/settler/discriminatory/racist attitudes prevail some places more than others. Nurses, not surprisingly, are the biggest cunts in this regard, especially in rural/remote/northern settings. There are all sorts of cultural safety training at the Fed/First Nation level. First Nations patients have been forgotten or ignored in emergency departments and died. Cause of death? Being an Indian.

This case is surprising yet it is not. Usually that stuff is said with an inner voice not an outer voice. It seems like yesterday but it was in 1980 when a surgeon sewed beads onto the sutures when closing after an operation because he thought it would be a cool thing to do because she was Indian. I should see if I can find my old briefcase with Indian Affairs Canada embossed on it and take a pic. Official titles change but attitudes not so much.

A colleague of mine who would cross paths with me in Arctic communities was booted out of a community and banned for life for being rough with an Inuit kid in a way he would not have done with his non-Inuit patients. Well, between you and me he would do that to a white kid too but it was past the time of being able to beat, threaten and subdue pediatric patients. Putting one's hand over a child's nose and mouth to gently restrict breathing and telling them if they don't settle the fuck down you will kill them was effective in rare cases but sadly is no more.

It's a legacy of cultural genocide and the result of fucked up, failed attempts to assimilate. It wasn't until the 1950's that the Federal Government moved the Inuit into permanent settlements because of the caribou famines and the construction of the Distant Early Warning System and the fact that somehow nomadic people did not fit into an atomic age Canada. But, the Catholic Church was already on the scene for decades converting and buggering the faithful.

It's not just health care, it is policing too. Profiling, over-representation in prison and a higher risk of getting cop shot. Or farmer shot or home owner shot. Last two self-defence court cases had juries that sided against the dead First Nations man. All part of the messed up world of being indigenous in Canada. When I first moved to Inuvik, the only place I found to rent was a Catholic Church covered to apartments. One day my neighbour who is Gwichʼin (Dene) and a cabinet minister in the territorial legislative assembly says to me "hey, can you hear the screams at night in your place?"

But, there is a flip side to this and not to make light of this case which is awful, you could create a Reason #9247 Why Nunavut is #1 because you just don't find some of this shit anywhere else. Like Joanassie huffing propane and getting his lips frozen to the nozzle. Or the lads in Churchill who were huffing propane, didn't turn off the value and sat down for a post-huff smoke. Boom.

Last week a First Nations man came into emergency with cardiac issues so they put him on oxygen. He's waiting for the doc and decides to light up a smoke in the room and set himself on fire and basically burned his face off. If you are reading the Saskatchewan news and there is a roll-over accident with an ejection, you can be sure it will be from a First Nations community. If your car is stolen and then found burned, it will most likely be on a First Nations communities.

So yeah, I'm not surprised by this shit at all except for the rare instance of it being world starred.
fascinating. i know the aussies have the same issues with the aborigines there as well. i would have thought it had improved at least a bit with all of our cultural advancement but i suppose some things just never change.

Well there was a Truth and Reconciliation hearing like Australia had and 95 calls to action were created. Last year's minority government for Justin was partly due to Canadians making a point that indigenous issues are important so there is progress.

But it's a long way down from the top to the grass roots.

i know the aussies have the same issues with the aborigines there as well.

Sadly, yes.

Things have definitely improved - but only to an extent. There's still a lot of discrimination, some conscious, some unconscious.

There are a lot of people with "white privilege" (to use a contentious term) who look down on indigenous people because "they haven't helped themselves" - why don't they just get jobs, why don't they just move to the cities, why don't they just stop drinking, why aren't they rich because they're always getting government handouts and so on and on and on. Such people entirely fail to recognise the massive disadvantages that many indigenous people face - including precisely that sort of paternalistic condescension and discrimination.

It's a difficult and complex situation.

Well there was a Truth and Reconciliation hearing like Australia had and 95 calls to action were created. Last year's minority government for Justin was partly due to Canadians making a point that indigenous issues are important so there is progress.

But it's a long way down from the top to the grass roots.
We haven't had an actual Truth and Reconciliation Commission - we have had various Royal Commissions ( sort of the highest level public inquiry) into Aboriginal Death is Custody (years ago - I appeared before it in 92 I think and not much has changed), Stolen Children and Institutional Care.

Modern Australia was built on the colonialist, racist, corporate and class foundations of the fading British Empire. It takes a long time to change this.

Add in a large dose of our own myth making and it requires a huge and ongoing dose of national ingrained cognitive dissonance to keep it all going.

Lets just look at one Australian myth
The "real" Australians are those (males only usually considered real) on farms or in the bush and outback - its really only their opinions that matter - and any complicated, nuanced or sophisticated analysis of anything - is dismissed as "city based experts"

Facts:: Almost 75% of our population lives in the 3 major sophisticated cities on the east coast . Most of the rest live in large urban centres either on or not far from the coast. Geelong and Woollongong regional cities not capitals (in different states both on coast and in excess of 250,000 each). So about 2/5ths of SFA of all Australians live outside the big cities.

Those "real" Australians are carriers of our "true" values and should be supported and encouraged to live in remote areas, on extremely marginal farming land, with generous subsidies and services that in any other nation could exist only in high density urban areas due to costs, efficiencies, staff skills etc.

These rural remote living real Australians are NOT the local Aboriginal people living in the same remote areas for thousands of years. The Aboriginals should not receive subsidies but should move to large cities where there are jobs and services.

But - Aboriginals in large cities - which comprise the majority of aboriginals - are not "real" aboriginals because they don't live in camps in the desert - so they too are not really worthy of support. Plus - you should know - some of them don't look real dark black.

I could go on with a full lesson on Australian myth making

This is the problem when you go the quota route. Once you get your allotted share, you ration to the next demographic/race/sex/nationality.

Is it that difficult to simply hire the most capable person to do the job? Regardless of age, ethnicity, creed or sexual orientation? It seems like a very simple rule that would eviscerate arcane quota, affirmative action, and other compensating diversity programs.

That's ludicrous.

This paragraph was particularly shocking:

Juvenile Justice has an internal policy not to detain children under the age of 10. Lassiter put that policy in place in 2015 after a 45-pound 7-year-old was put in detention for not coming to court.

This sort of system penalises those who are less well-educated, who do not have stable accommodation, who do not have stable employment. It can very easily push the children down a path that entrenches disadvantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom