Tweed Jacket

rdiaz

There are enough second hand tweeds around to avoid those with repairs. I would definitely put leather patches on.
My size narrows down choices quite a bit. Now if I could find some non thermoadhesive patches around here...

Dakuan

I also think that the buttoning point is a bit too high and that it would benefit from being a bit lower.

Then again, I'm not a tailor, so I could be entirely wrong!
As it happens the tailor did suggest moving that down a bit but i demurred - i find a lower button point makes jackets look 'cut off'.

As for how short - I'm 5'2". Some dogs are taller than me.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
As it happens the tailor did suggest moving that down a bit but i demurred - i find a lower button point makes jackets look 'cut off'.

As for how short - I'm 5'2". Some dogs are taller than me.
Ah, that explains your tie knot in your outfit you posted in the what are you wearing today thread

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Not sure if it really counts as tweed, but this Bottoli Donegal fleck is nice. So much tweed is brown, I like the idea of a blue tweed sport coat.

600-111-1500x1500-1.jpg

600-111-1200x1200-3.jpg

Journeyman

Supporter
^That is nice.

I've also seen some blue, Donegal-fleck tweed jackets made up in fabric from Abraham Moon, but you are right - it's not so common.

Jan Libourel

I have a blue Donegal tweed jacket from Chan. It is a 14-ounce Porter & Harding thornproof--a very handsome and versatile garment. I also have a 12-ounce H&S herringbone Shetland tweed in blue that sees a great deal of use in cooler weather. I suspect the notion that blue tweeds are not quite "on" stems from the days when tweed was mostly meant to be worn on grouse moors.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
That blue Bottoli donegal (above) is going to be on a Black Friday sale on my size. I wasn’t planning to buy another winter jacket - and especially not navy. But this might be a good time to swap out the navy moleskin I git last year that’s a bit too short.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Slow day at work, so I've been cruising the iGent blogs. (yes, THAT slow!). Apparently this was a big sensation last month. Abercrombie and Fitch made an Abraham Moon houndstooth pattern (I don't see a contrasting horizontal pattern, so I guess it isn't a gun check) coat they are describing as a "Dad Coat".

https://www.abercrombie.com/shop/us/p/the-a-and-f-dad-coat-11767320?seq=01&cmp=AFF:CJAdults:12551254:2178999:1909792&cjevent=cb32573d054a11e9803e00d20a1c0e12

Kinda interesting and a good price for the fabric ... but it just seems to be in-between everything. Not formal, not a topcoast, not terribly warm. And that shoulder construction is downright weird.

AF.png

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter
Slow day at work, so I've been cruising the iGent blogs. (yes, THAT slow!). Apparently this was a big sensation last month. Abercrombie and Fitch made an Abraham Moon houndstooth pattern (I don't see a contrasting horizontal pattern, so I guess it isn't a gun check) coat they are describing as a "Dad Coat".

https://www.abercrombie.com/shop/us/p/the-a-and-f-dad-coat-11767320?seq=01&cmp=AFF:CJAdults:12551254:2178999:1909792&cjevent=cb32573d054a11e9803e00d20a1c0e12

Kinda interesting and a good price for the fabric ... but it just seems to be in-between everything. Not formal, not a topcoast, not terribly warm. And that shoulder construction is downright weird.

View attachment 31296
I would not get overly hyped up with Moon fabric. It is OK. But it is common in low end garments like J Crew and the above jacket

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Agreed, though that would be a good price ($180) for a nice Moon check - if it were sewn-up into a sportscoat instead of a "Dad Coat"

formby

I would not get overly hyped up with Moon fabric. It is OK. But it is common in low end garments like J Crew and the above jacket
Moon fabric is very good, top mill. A lot of the fabric used in RTW is good quality, its just that the make, and fit of the garment is usually crap.

This goes for shirts too.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
When I was in Uk last month M&S had a bunch of Moon fabric sport coats. A fair few of them were ok. Nice colours and patterns too, a nice blue Donegal, a grey herringbone and some other checks. They had L,M and S too. Not expensive. I had meant to try some on in London. But just never got around to it. The Moon fabric seemed more than fine to me. From memory they had two different designs .. one had 3 patch pockets from memory.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
The Moon fabric ... 3 patch pockets from memory.
<3

I’ve owned a few Moon tweeds and have beeen very happy with them. They do some lovely trad patterns and are usually fairly thick and practical.

Journeyman

Supporter
Apparently this was a big sensation last month. Abercrombie and Fitch made an Abraham Moon houndstooth pattern (I don't see a contrasting horizontal pattern, so I guess it isn't a gun check) coat they are describing as a "Dad Coat".
From the same site - I think that this is the "how not to wear it" photo:

KIC_132-8400-0571-419_model1.jpeg

Top Bottom