WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

Pimpernel Smith

I was right and T&A were wrong, my shirts haven't arrived before Christmas and their courier didn't get through.

Figured correctly that the top shirt I ordered (see photos above) is sold out in my size. I was right to pull the trigger before the sales. The bottom one is in the sale in my size with 90 quid off. So I'm going to ask them for a refund or equivalent off my next purchase. We'll see how they respond.

Pimpernel Smith

T&A gave me the sale price for one of the shirts, the other one isn't actually in the sale. Took awhile to get here, only arrived 08-Jan, ordered 18-Dec.

These weekend fits look good too, but where on earth did they get that scrawny kid model from? It's not the louche aristo-casual look at all, he's too young for now:

Kingstonian

T&A gave me the sale price for one of the shirts, the other one isn't actually in the sale. Took awhile to get here, only arrived 08-Jan, ordered 18-Dec.

These weekend fits look good too, but where on earth did they get that scrawny kid model from? It's not the louche aristo-casual look at all, he's too young for now:

He did not even bother to tuck the shirt in, but at least his lipstick matches the red stripe shirt.

Old fashioned English made shirts(Ede and Ravenscroft) used to be halfway down to your knee. Have they started saving on cloth?

Journeyman

Supporter
Old fashioned English made shirts(Ede and Ravenscroft) used to be halfway down to your knee. Have they started saving on cloth?

I think that "weekend fit" (as in the T&A shirts above) is code for "cut shorter so you can wear it untucked with jeans" - hence the shorter length.

robertito

I don't think so, it says they are "thermally fused" which is apparently done with some clever machine.
Ascolite is the name of the machine that does the fusing.

Very soon it will be as famous as the AMF machine for top stitch. The other company that does a machine that imitates the hand stitch is the Conti Complett but his prices are three times the AMF prices

Kingstonian

Submariners jumper. Sized down. I am pleased with it.
Not too bulky. Tightly knit.

20% off sale in January. I am sure I have bought their countryman sweater via a different seller. It is very robust. Proper English firm. Leicester based since 1940.

Journeyman

Supporter
^That looks good. I'm particularly tempted by the Nordic jumper.

How would you describe their sizing?

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Submariners jumper. Sized down. I am pleased with it.
Not too bulky. Tightly knit.

20% off sale in January. I am sure I have bought their countryman sweater via a different seller. It is very robust. Proper English firm. Leicester based since 1940.

Nice. I bought one just like it from Outdoor Knitwear last year.

Kingstonian

^That looks good. I'm particularly tempted by the Nordic jumper.

How would you describe their sizing?
Countryman is generous. I am sure it is the same as the one Woolovers used to offer.

I also have a Woolovers Nordic. The sizing on that was accurate. In this case, the Woolaway Nordic looks different - with a plain neck where Woolovers was a striped neck. I would still work on the assumption that the Nordic is accurately sized though.

Kingstonian

Nice. I bought one just like it from Outdoor Knitwear last year.

Silvermans in the East End offer a submariner too if I wanted to try it for size before purchase.

Photos look a big baggy though - unless it is too big a size /fat bloke.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Dark olive whipcord jeans:

27844A93-8DD2-4A18-9022-93BB8A892274.jpeg

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
These look good. Reckon they’re likely to fade like denim or keep their colour?

I’m hoping they keep the colour, but it’s a gamble.

Gustin had some really nice olive denim about a year ago, but I figured it would probably fade to lime green. Military whipcord doesn’t fade that much, so hopefully this will be similar.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Dyson v8, let see what the fuzz is about. never spent this much on a vacuum before.
My impression is that Dyson is a triumph of marketing over performance.

Having paid the price of a small car people are then compelled to justify the purchase by raving about superior performance.

I’m sure that wouldn’t happen to you Pauly.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
We have a couple of the Dyson fan/heaters - overpriced and loud. Wife has the Dyson hairdryer - I can’t see any advantage for the price. The vacuum is pretty good.

Journeyman

Supporter
I fucking hate those Dyson hand dryers in mensrooms.

The thing that irritates me about them is that when they first started appearing in Australia, they came with a sticker on the wall that blathered on about how it was a breakthrough in hand-drying and how Dyson's technology was oh-so-wonderful.

But the same style of hand-dryer had been made for years in Japan by Mitsubishi and one or two other companies. I don't know how Dyson managed it, but it took the same idea, tweaked the design a bit with some fancy lighting and then marketed it as Dyson's latest wonderful invention.

QuandoDio

Dyson fans are pretty excellent - we have about four of them- and they get heavy usage in the warmer months. The oldest was bought eight/nine years ago and still works fine.

The hoover is meh, overpriced and has durability issues. The hand dryers are a nuisance.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
I don't know how Dyson managed it, but it took the same idea, tweaked the design a bit with some fancy lighting and then marketed it as Dyson's latest wonderful invention.
its the same thing with their fucking vacuums. i can't see any tangible difference between a dyson and other high end vacuums. the man is a marketing genius.

Pauly Chase

Hip Dairy Farmer
Supporter
I have a promo code which knocked 50 dollars off. So far I like it. I think I paid for the convenience considering we have 3 floors now. It does a good job on carpet and hardwood floors.

Rambo

Supporter
I have a promo code which knocked 50 dollars off. So far I like it. I think I paid for the convenience considering we have 3 floors now. It does a good job on carpet and hardwood floors.
but is it any different than a shark vacuum or a miele? no, not really.

Rambo

Supporter
Never tried neither. Just got this since I had a promo. It was a decent deal
Right but you've had a vacuum before i presume? Is this some kind of mind bending technology that significantly improves the vacuuming experience? No, its just a fucking vacuum.

Pauly Chase

Hip Dairy Farmer
Supporter
Right but you've had a vacuum before i presume? Is this some kind of mind bending technology that significantly improves the vacuuming experience? No, its just a fucking vacuum.
Yeah I have a Bissel. I am not arguing that Dyson is much better, just saying I needed a cordless vacuum. Got tired of dragging my Bissel up and down stairs. Also wanted something that I easily vacuum the stairs with since I have cats.

Rambo

Supporter
Yeah I have a Bissel. I am not arguing that Dyson is much better, just saying I needed a cordless vacuum. Got tired of dragging my Bissel up and down stairs. Also wanted something that I easily vacuum the stairs with since I have cats.
i know. we were just discussing how dyson is generally bullshit in regards to their image.

Pimpernel Smith

I'm surprised you chaps getting involved such nitty-gritty details. Don't you have housekeepers, butlers and people to do all that boring stuff for you?

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Fuck. We have a maid service that comes every three weeks to scrub the toilets and all that deep cleaning stuff. The thing that gets me is that we end-up having to clean the house before the cleaners arrive.

QuandoDio

Fuck. We have a maid service that comes every three weeks to scrub the toilets and all that deep cleaning stuff. The thing that gets me is that we end-up having to clean the house before the cleaners arrive.

Every 3 weeks? Then what is the point.

As anyone with a family knows, having a cleaner does f-all. A couple of hours after my cleaner leaves, the house is in a previous or worse state, really. Seem to spend a big chunk of any day cleaning really.

Which begs the question why I employ the services of a cleaner in the first place.

I agree with Pauly Chase Pauly Chase , even with his Herculean muscles, lugging around a Hoover/vacuum is no easy task. The problem however with the cordless versions is there just isn't enough suction power and the inevitable durability issues. We have gone through vax, Hoover and Dyson brands and they all disappointed compared with their corded/wired counterparts.

Now, we make do with a combination of the irobot Roomba/ an old cordless vax and a corded Miele.

Journeyman

Supporter
we make do with a combination of the irobot Roomba

We love our Roomba. Fantastic on hard floors, but of course a bit less effective on carpet.

Interestingly, though, we found that putting the Roomba in a carpeted room twice actually seemed to get more dust and cat hair than using our Dyson cordless vacuum once. So now we just do the house with the Roomba once a week and use the Dyson (which we were given as a present years ago) for spot cleaning during the week.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
I have 3 vacuums. The best is a Sanitaire Upright with bag. (Made by Electrolux USA) Its like a old Cadillac all metal and chrome. Its as heavy as buggery and I only get it out once month or so. But it does a great job. It must be 20 + years old - they don't sell them in OZ any more so I have to get parts from USA but its easy enough to get them. Plus its easy to fix stuff.

1613384056333.png

I also have a small corded cheapy from Kmart - cost about $30. I think they still sell them. A place where I work had 1 and it was great to use in between weekly professional cleaners coming in. Light and powerful. It was/is so good that people there started getting them for home - even people who had fancy Dysons etc. Only down side is the paper filter has to be cleaned every now and then. Its probably the best allrounder.
1613384155491.png

The other is a small cordless cheapy =around $70 one of my offspring gave me - its good for a quick once over a few time's a week. My offspring has an expensive Dyson @~$600+- its slightly better than my $70 cordless but not by that much.

Last edited:

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
We love our Roomba. Fantastic on hard floors, but of course a bit less effective on carpet. Interestingly, though, we found that putting the Roomba in a carpeted room twice actually seemed to get more dust and cat hair than using our Dyson cordless vacuum once. So now we just do the house with the Roomba once a week and use the Dyson (which we were given as a present years ago) for spot cleaning during the week.
1613440070128.png

Pimpernel Smith

Every 3 weeks? Then what is the point.

As anyone with a family knows, having a cleaner does f-all. A couple of hours after my cleaner leaves, the house is in a previous or worse state, really. Seem to spend a big chunk of any day cleaning really.

Which begs the question why I employ the services of a cleaner in the first place.
You have to factor in two elements that make it a waste of time: partners intensively cleaning up the house before the cleaner arrives and then that one speck of cleaning fluid left on a bathroom tap that permanently discolours it and the prompt sacking of the cleaner by said partner.

My missus is talking about getting a Roomba, but as everyone's all at home all the time now, isn't it going to get in the way? I do fancy the equivalent for the garden though. That might be a good investment this year, as I detest mowing the lawn.

Top Bottom