WDYBT: What Did You Buy Today

Pimpernel Smith

Bought this Fox Brothers one button jacket from F.G. van den Heuvel today:
IMG_9766-991x1536.jpg

Haven't had a one button jacket for years. I need to check out the vibe before investing in a Huntsman. And I've only got about two weeks worth of weather suitable for sporting this jacket.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
^
Outstanding purchase. Well done!
Bought this Fox Brothers one button jacket from F.G. van den Heuvel today:
View attachment 36633
Haven't had a one button jacket for years. I need to check out the vibe before investing in a Huntsman. And I've only got about two weeks worth of weather suitable for sporting this jacket.
I don't get the two weeks weather thing.. can you explain?

Pimpernel Smith

I don't get the two weeks weather thing.. can you explain?
It should start warming up a bit more, so thicker cloths will be going away. Winter Dainite shoes went into my shoe storage today, after being creamed and polished-up. That may prove somewhat premature as it's still going be under 10C most of next week and April can be pretty rainy here and windy.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
It should start warming up a bit more, so thicker cloths will be going away. Winter Dainite shoes went into my shoe storage today, after being creamed and polished-up. That may prove somewhat premature as it's still going be under 10C most of next week and April can be pretty rainy here and windy.
Oh you mean two weeks now - NOT two weeks each year?

Sauce

Nice coat Pimp. Is it tweed?

I subscribed to a new magazine today, Valet. Over 300 pages to amble through during lockdown times. 4 issues a year for 69 bucks. Free post. Hope its not crap. I like the content on its website so fingers crossed.

Pimpernel Smith

Nice coat Pimp. Is it tweed?

I subscribed to a new magazine today, Valet. Over 300 pages to amble through during lockdown times. 4 issues a year for 69 bucks. Free post. Hope its not crap. I like the content on its website so fingers crossed.

It's a Fox Brothers tweed, that's all I know, don't know the name. That style of large pattern is not generally of interest to me, consider it old fashioned, but with the one button silhouette and green colours from a small distance it looks very distinguished indeed.

The Fox Brother Negroni tweed is of interest to me.

I need to up my game this year. You won't get fully bespoke now in the Netherlands, but you can get reasonable MTM with most of what you want and the cloth you desire. I'm 100% satisfied with my shirting choices going forward, everything else is up for grabs.

The Valet magazine is an obvious piss take, isn't it?

Sauce

I think its from the, Fox Tweed II book. I battered it last year and had 3 made from it. I went for the same pattern as yours for one of them but in the other colourway. I like the Negroni as well. Think the red one is all gone now? The green one is pretty cool as well.

I'll see with that magazine. Hope it'll have good articles.

Pimpernel Smith

I think its from the, Fox Tweed II book. I battered it last year and had 3 made from it. I went for the same pattern as yours for one of them but in the other colourway. I like the Negroni as well. Think the red one is all gone now? The green one is pretty cool as well.

I'll see with that magazine. Hope it'll have good articles.
The Negroni was a limited edition and very well received, even with this chap, very deliberately drinking said cocktail:

ce825a26cba35feab25ae33346d23d75.jpg

So very yes, indeed:
19ee9b89985f51d091659803d610a3a3.png

Thruth

Created the finest posts in internet forum history
Supporter
Well, they all might as well dress like Shriners. Or maybe real estate agents with their matching jackets.

Pimpernel Smith

Absolutely - I really like the orange and blue striped tie.
It's a odd story that repp tie. I bought it on my last physical trip to London from T&A in Jermyn Street and it was like pow! Got to have that as soon as I saw it. But I've hardly ever worn it for such a positive buy. It remains in one of my tie drawers waiting for a mission.

Sauce

Last year I took full advantage of the Liverano Reach and Archive offers and scored a made to order chambray shirt and tie as well as a RTW wool knitted tee and wool/cash roll neck at 50% discount. Service was fantastic on the tie and shirt order, they were happy to alter the sleeve and shoulder measurements from a standard 42 size. The tee and roll neck are great and I was a bit sad they took away the Reach offer on their site. They reintroduced it for 72 hours last week and I grabbed another roll neck, this time in an off white which they call "cloudy white".
167579838_2888861241371267_5683716564420677837_n.jpg

Its nice but quite a bit thinner than the first one but I've brilliantly removed any disappointment by cunningly calling it a season transitional rollneck.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
New boots:

Great White Snark

New boots:

Has the nasty stench of a sad April Fool joke about it, but that said I bet Pauly Chase Pauly Chase is feverishly scrambling around the internet trying to buy them.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Has the nasty stench of a sad April Fool joke about it, but that said I bet Pauly Chase Pauly Chase is feverishly scrambling around the internet trying to buy them.

To be fair, the joke was directed at myself as much as anyone else - I have a few chunky double mid-sole casual boots. Not quite Kiss cover band size platforms though.

Panama

I was thinking of buying a Sea Island cotton shirt from Ede and Ravenscroft but ended up buying 19 budget shirts instead..

Panama

19? At once. Why? Did you wardrobe get tossed in a fire?
No over the Easter weekend. I have a shirt fetish and there were discounts for Easter.

Harvie and Hudson x3
Cafe Coton x4 - I haven't had these for 24 years when they used to be at Bicester
TM Lewin x2 - First order in 30 years
Charles Tyrwhitt x4 - First ever order
Hawes and Curtis x4 - First order in 30 years
Kilgour x2

I do order regularly from H&H. I mainly get my shirts from Smyth and Gibson now, especially since Chester Barrie (Gold/Black Label) and Grosvenor have closed. I do treat my self to luxury shirts, last month it was an Emma Willis Sea Island cotton and previously I have ordered T&A and Truzzi. The Ede and Ravenscroft Sea Island cotton will have to wait. I also want an EW Giza 45.

Last edited:

Panama

No over the Easter weekend. I have a shirt fetish and there were discounts for Easter.

Harvie and Hudson x3
Cafe Coton x4 - I haven't had these for 24 years when they used to be at Bicester
TM Lewin x2 - First order in 30 years
Charles Tywhitt x4 - First ever order
Hawes and Curtis x4 - First order in 30 years
Kilgour x2

I do order regularly from H&H. I mainly get my shirts from Smyth and Gibson now, especially since Chester Barrie (Gold/Black Label) and Grosvenor have closed. I do treat my self to luxury shirts, last month it was an Emma Willis Sea Island cotton and previously I have ordered T&A and Truzzi. The Ede and Ravenscroft Sea Island cotton will have to wait. I also want an EW Giza 45.
I forgot two John Henric Oxford's too...

aristoi bcn

Spanish Rookie
I haven't had any English shirt since I gifted a couple of T.M.Lewin I had to a friend around 10 years ago. Since then, I only bought Spanish badspoke (that I don't wear anymore) and then Italian (mostly Neapolitan) that can be bought either bespoke or RTW from 80 to 350 euro with lots of handmade details. Am I missing something with English shirts?

belinmad

I haven't had any English shirt since I gifted a couple of T.M.Lewin I had to a friend around 10 years ago. Since then, I only bought Spanish badspoke (that I don't wear anymore) and then Italian (mostly Neapolitan) that can be bought either bespoke or RTW from 80 to 350 euro with lots of handmade details. Am I missing something with English shirts?
Not really.
I get them made bespoke in Madrid for 130-170

Panama

TM Lewin are Far East shirts not English made shirts. I usually buy Smyth and Gibson which are made in the UK. They are excellent. I have bad experiences with bespoke, fortunately normal shirts fit me fine. I recently bought a Spanish shirt from Arnau.

Last edited:

Panama

What Italian shirt brands have you purchased?

I have looked at:

Borrelli, Barba, Brioni, Fray, Finamore, and Isaia.

I have Truzzi shirts. I also have Del Siena, Canali and Corneliani shirts.

Gutteridge seem inexpensive.

aristoi bcn

Spanish Rookie
What Italian shirt brands have you purchased?

I have looked at:

Borrelli, Barba, Brioni, Fray, Finamore, and Isaia.

I have Truzzi shirts. I also have Del Siena, Canali and Corneliani shirts.

Gutteridge seem inexpensive.

Kiton, Rubinacci, Borrelli, Barba, Camiceria Piccolo, Salvatore Piccolo, Luca Avitabile, Merolla, Golia, Starita, G.Inglese, Xacus, Delsiena, Ingram, Brancaccio Caruso, Bagutta, Guglielminotti and for sure I forget some.

Top Bottom