What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Agreed on Mando.

The Liberator was pretty good. Band of Brothers with some cool animation effects.

Started Love and Anarchy in the background while I did some reading and it seemed like a pretty ordinary office and romantic drama with an lead female who masturbates a lot.

Last edited:
Was Mandalorian was published episode by episode? Not that I have time to watch it all at once but it irks me.

Was Mandalorian was published episode by episode?

Yes - I think that Disney was releasing a couple of episodes per week throughout most of the first season - one midweek and one on the midweek (although I may be wrong about the timing).

In any case, it wasn't released in a big dump so that people could binge-watch all at once.

It's a control thing. I barely have time or the attention span to watch one episode per sitting.

That said I am getting annoyed at Amazon Prime's adverts for their own shows. Amazon, Disney and Apple (most notorious) continue to up sell me. Didn't people use streaming services to get away from the cable television shenanigans?

Netflix so far is the only one where I trust I pay and I get the services I want.

The Crown. Latest series. Entertaining. Nice scenery.

I remember the Queen first from her role as the stressed working mother in ‘Green Wing’. Not a major role and none of the best gags. But she has since gone from strength to strength. Dr. Statham and his lover the former Mrs.Brittas were outstanding :-

Last edited:
Just realised it came out.

Pimpernel Smith Pimpernel Smith will be unhappy his favourite character from the previous series is out.

Dickie? He gets blown up in the first episode. Nice jacket on too.

Watched the first two episodes yesterday. Good and a yawn in parts. Charles is too effete by far. It's hard to think he could be a hit with the ladies. Diana was good as was Thatcher except they had her voice as it was in 1976, before the took the affectation out.

Worse bit was the IRA diatribe over Dickie's funeral. But to be expected from the BBC.

Watched the first two episodes yesterday. Good and a yawn in parts. Charles is too effete by far. It's hard to think he could be a hit with the ladies. Diana was good as was Thatcher except they had her voice as it was in 1976, before the took the affectation out.

Worse bit was the IRA diatribe over Dickie's funeral. But to be expected from the BBC.
The episode where Michael Fagan breaks into the Queen’s bedroom was very entertaining.

Valley of Tears is another excellent Israeli war drama. This one set in the 1973 Yom Kippur War.

The episode where Michael Fagan breaks into the Queen’s bedroom was very entertaining.

Watched that episode last night and considered it rather weak sub-Alan Bleasdale anti-Faaatcher milk snatcher propaganda.

The case for the Falklands war as a just war is strong and Michael Foot supported the war. Michael Fagan's MP was not the fictional Tory MP in the episode, but Labour's Bernie Grant.

Watched that episode last night and considered it rather weak sub-Alan Bleasdale anti-Faaatcher milk snatcher propaganda.

The case for the Falklands war as a just war is strong and Michael Foot supported the war. Michael Fagan's MP was not the fictional Tory MP in the episode, but Labour's Bernie Grant.
It’s entertainment, not history. Fagan's visit to sign on were amusing. The Queen and Thatchers differing attitude to children was something put in to make the show. The idea of the Queen getting courtiers to prepare a one page summary of each of her children, their interests, hobbies and plans was an exaggeratedly funny way to suggest she was rather distant.

That's the opposite of what I would hear when I went over to my uni mate's farm for his annual Christmas gathering. His father was with the British Army in Belfast. Every Christmas...without fail.

Is it the actor playing Prince Charles or does he really have horrible posture?

Maybe the actor was told to adopt the stoop to show unhappiness and a sense of the weight of the world on his shoulders. Prince Charles can and does stand up straight for much of the time.

I'm personally not watching it, but my eldest and mother are watching the The Queen's Gambit about an orphan who becomes a master chess player. It's got my eldest into chess which I think is quite wonderful. Beat me too for the first time last night.

Binging on SOA and Justified thanks to the Hulu BF deal. I’ll feel the need to read a book soon and repair some brain cells, but for now this is fun.

I didn't know Claire Foy came back for season 4.

She doesn't quite nail it like HM the Queen though. Lovely montage.

"I declare before you all that my whole life whether it be long or short shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong."

I enjoy The Crown. Its not great history but it's great tele.

I concur. It is an excellent series; might not be great history, but it is also good history. A lot of what is depicted in the series- artists licence, not withstanding, is mostly accurate ( not entirely accurate0.

I concur. It is an excellent series; might not be great history, but it is also good history. A lot of what is depicted in the series- artists licence, not withstanding, is mostly accurate ( not entirely accurate0.

There's been some debate about that, especially relating to the current series (more from Thatcher fans than from Monarchists I think LOL).

Maybe the actor was told to adopt the stoop to show unhappiness and a sense of the weight of the world on his shoulders. Prince Charles can and does stand up straight for much of the time.

Josh O'Connor said he gradually increased the stoop to signify the growing pressure on Charles shoulders and his subsequent feeling of beat downness.

finished the queen's gambit. not as good as everyone made it out to be but it was a decent watch. i couldn't help but think the main actress was just too, i don't know, picturesque to be a chess prodigy.

I enjoy The Crown. Its not great history but it's great tele.
I've only watched bits in a drive by fashion - if the parts about Australia are any indication - its grasp of what actually happened may be more than bit askew.

I've only watched bits in a drive by fashion - if the parts about Australia are any indication - its grasp of what actually happened may be more than bit askew.

Why do they keep showcasing Australia? Canada is the most loyal dominion. No republicans here. Twice in four seasons.

Got a new british show - Brassic. Im three episodes in and its fucking hilarious so far.

That's common Lancashire slang (Cockney origin) for being broke i.e no money.

"Can't buy that 'cos am brassic."

Do you understand their accents, do you find it hard to follow?

That's common Lancashire slang (Cockney origin) for being broke i.e no money.

"Can't buy that 'cos am brassic."

Do you understand their accents, do you find it hard to follow?
No im pretty familiar with the cockney accents. I watch a lot of british tv so ive gotten pretty used to it. Some of the slang i havent heard before. The last episode the main character said "are u hafin a giraffe?"

No im pretty familiar with the cockney accents. I watch a lot of british tv so ive gotten pretty used to it. Some of the slang i havent heard before. The last episode the main character said "are u hafin a giraffe?"
Chuckles...

Its set in Lancashire not London...the accent is very different (even though the phrase you quote is cod-cockney rhyming slang, giraffe = laugh) . I actually sounded like like they do when I was young, not so much now.

If you were to hear say, myself, Kingstonian and Pimpy in a conversation we would sound very different to one another. Most striking would be between myself and pimpy, who were probably born only 30 miles apart. Pimpy would have a Scouse (Liverpool/Wirral) sound to it even though, probably like mine its softened with age and in his case with distance too.

Accents are one of the wonders of Britain, you can travel less than 50 miles and struggle to understand a word they are saying due to accent and the use of local slang.

Some examples, by no means exhaustive:

Chuckles...

Its set in Lancashire not London...the accent is very different (even though the phrase you quote is cod-cockney rhyming slang, giraffe = laugh) . I actually sounded like like they do when I was young, not so much now.

If you were to hear say, myself, Kingstonian and Pimpy in a conversation we would sound very different to one another. Most striking would be between myself and pimpy, who were probably born only 30 miles apart. Pimpy would have a Scouse (Liverpool/Wirral) sound to it even though, probably like mine its softened with age and in his case with distance too.

Accents are one of the wonders of Britain, you can travel less than 50 miles and struggle to understand a word they are saying due to accent and the use of local slang.

Some examples, by no means exhaustive:

I use to say ''brown brassic''. You don't even have to go 30 miles, you have a scouse accent in Kirkby and Huyton and about six miles away in Sint Helens you have a broad Lancashire one. The Liverpool accent is supposedly a mixture of Lancashire, Irish, Welsh and Glaswegian accents and dialects. I would say when it comes to fancy patter, it's a tossup between cockney rhyming slang and scouse. But the Liverpool accent has suffered at the hands of Alan Bleasdale and the era of Brookside when it became convenient to stereotype Liverpool as a failed city where everyone was on the dole, wore shell suits, were petty criminals with permed hair. The accent ended up with an image problem which is a shame.

My accent was or is a south Wirral one. Which is a softer scouse with some old Cheshire elements and is spoken from the north west of the Wirral down i.e. West Kirkby, Heswall, Thornton Hough, Neston, Willaston, Hooton, Childer Thornton, Eastham, Capenhurst, the non-overspill parts of Ellesmere Port to Chester.

My wife and kids say my accent is nothing like any of my family, I have been away a long time. Most Brits struggle to place it and I've been accused of being a Yorkshireman, Mancunian and a colleague from Italy once said I spoke like Robbie Williams. Working with non-native speakers and married to one for the last 20 years my accent needs to be clearly pronounced and understood, so my diction is very clear. Not received pronunciation but not quite anywhere or can easily be pinpointed even by native speakers.

As George Bernard Shaw stated: ''It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him.''

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom