What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Why you know like a republic?
The Republic to the south of me is enough to tell me I don’t want a republic.

But more importantly, you can’t open the constitution for one item without everything else flying out of Pandora’s box.

All Creatures Great and Small, the new series.

It's feel good all the way through. Expensive budget, excellent casting and keeps a nod to the original series and Herriot's books.

Started watching the Ripper docu-series on Netflix. What comes across is how absolutely sad and desperate times were in parts of Leeds. The underbelly of the north has always had a Dickensian underclass.

Valley of Tears still going strong, though I’m mostly still binging my way through Sons of Anarchy.

Does anyone on 'ere remember the late 80s TV show Tour of Duty?
Hahahha. I do. The plots were really dumb. I’d ask my dad (USMC infantry, Tet offensive veteran) why he watched it when it was so ridiculous and he would respond that Dana Delaney was ‘easy on the eye’.

I also had a cassette (Bali pirate) of the soundtrack, which was pretty good.

Hahahha. I do. The plots were really dumb. I’d ask my dad (USMC infantry, Tet offensive veteran) why he watched it when it was so ridiculous and he would respond that Dana Delaney was ‘easy on the eye’.

I also had a cassette (Bali pirate) of the soundtrack, which was pretty good.
Yeah, bear in mind it was more soap opera than historic drama/doc.

The opening music was Paint in Black IIRC.

Yeah, bear in mind it was more soap opera than historic drama/doc.

The opening music was Paint in Black IIRC.

You are right. Also had White Rabbit and (maybe) Sky Pilot on the first soundtrack.

Also, I think I’m an confusing ToD and China Beach, since they were both soaps with a VN war backdrop.

Good documentary on The Troubles with respect to the timeline of events from the start to the end:

It’s a documentary that has been around for a good while. The main players look young and some of the earlier big names are hardly remembered - the early Northern Ireland prime ministers and southern command of what was the Official IRA.

Slugger is a good site for an informed reporting of Northern Ireland events with both Nationalist and Unionist input.

It’s a documentary that has been around for a good while. The main players look young and some of the earlier big names are hardly remembered - the early Northern Ireland prime ministers and southern command of what was the Official IRA.

Slugger is a good site for an informed reporting of Northern Ireland events with both Nationalist and Unionist input.

Thanks, I will check that website out. There's quite a few good documentaries on Youtube on the Troubles.

I'm on the last episode of the first series of The Terror a fictional horror account of John Franklin's expedition to find the north west passage in 1845. There's enough interest in events to have just played it as a straight historical piece with no fantasy/horror elements. The acting is superb, as is the camera work and mise en scene.

I have two more episodes to finish the Mandalorian. It's getting a bit formulaic. He goes to a planet with the goal of A and then someone pops up and says I'll help you with A if you do B for me. That's generally the first half of the second season.

I also realised how easy it is to film this during a pandemic. There are only a few characters on screen at any given time, and most of the backgrounds are computer graphics. I reckon the robots are computer graphics and not costumed humans and the many stormtroopers already have masks on.

Watched James May: Our Man in Japan, well he isn't Clive James or Alan Whicker. It's at the level of The Hairy Bikers, without that prick interjecting on how Che Guevara is his hero every other episode. Easy watching, along as you don't mind ugly presenters.

Re-watching the skinhead Don Letts documentay:

Watched James May: Our Man in Japan, well he isn't Clive James or Alan Whicker. It's at the level of The Hairy Bikers, without that prick interjecting on how Che Guevara is his hero every other episode. Easy watching, along as you don't mind ugly presenters.

Re-watching the skinhead Don Letts documentay:

Presenter is such a ridiculous twat.

Finished Mandalorian. The second last episode with the mining planet probably says it all. The Empire is in charge and natives get abused and their planet's resources raped. The New Republic is in charge and nothing changes for the natives. At least with the Empire people get a consistent pay cheque and it's not run by a bunch of rebels turned into bureuacrats. Then again maybe I'm getting cynical after seeing things like Iraq where the dictator is deposed and the jails and palaces are liberated only to see new rulers come in and use the same jails, palaces to abuse a slightly different set of people and continue the same behaviours.

I'm watching Capitalism in the twenty first century on Netflix.

Clearly I studied the wrong subject in uni. Economy was the way to go.
nziff_capital_1.jpg

faiza-shaheen__41518.png

Yes Mr. Smith - I know the younger one is Labour.

market.jpg

Wow!

I was searching for something to watch last night and refined my Youtube search to "British dramas". I stumbled on this 2 part series and gave it a go.

Back in the late 70's/early 80's, DNA was not utilized as it is now for catching bad guys and gals. It was still being developed and really used for paternity cases. Dr Alec Jeffreys was at the forefront of DNA testing/development. He developed a way to read everyone's DNA to create a "fingerprint" for them.

When 2 young Leicestershire girls are found murdered in 1983/1987, the local police are stumped as to who the culprit(s) is.

DCS David Baker is leading the investigation(inquiry) and when his team thinks that they have caught the killer, something just isn't right.

He contacts Jeffreys to see if there is a way that he can use science/DNA to include/exclude the suspect(s). And so, the first ever DNA crime case was underway.

Absolutely fascinating! As with many British dramas, so well done. It captures the feel of the community during the murders, the tense manhunt, and of course, the science.

DNA is now at the forefront around the world when it comes to solving crimes. All due to this man and his team....and the DCS and his!

This is based on a true story. Doesn't get much better than this!

4.75/5.

Here they are.....

Finally finished SOA. Ready for a change now and the new season of The Expanse is out!!

I am trying to watch this best leftover show on Netflix. Amateur cooks making what's left over.

This one physician is making a tah dig from leftover pasta from chicken parm. Then he took harissa spice (!!!!!) & started frying the leftover pasta in oil. The whole challenge is less than an hour. You can't make tahdeeg from already cooked mushy cold pasta. And he said he learnt it from Detroit and kept calling it middle eastern. It's not Arab.

Late again to this series: Goliath with Billy Bob Thornton, always a good sign when he's in a film or series. He has a coolness in delivering off-beat characters.

Neo-Noirish at times in its portrayal of L.A. and Venice Beach. Good acting and script.

Really liked Molly Parker in the first series. She has a mature forties sexiness I find very enticing. Right up my street.

Mando finale definitely delivered. Looking forward to seeing where in goes in S3, as well as the latest spin-off starting at the end of this year.

Equinox: Scandinavian supernatural mystery series. Off to a great start.

The-Serpent-iconic-1ffed96.jpg

Someone recommended this today. I never heard of this man/case prior. It's on Youtube(I found the first 2 parts....not sure if/how many more.) Will start/review later.

nice. i just downloaded that the other day.

american gods season 3 on tomorrow.

The first two eps are a little slow to develop, though the production keeps you hanging in there. Once the spooky shit starts, the pace picks up quickly.

american gods is back and its still just as fucking boring as ever. i swear to god they're trying to make the prettiest show ever made that could put people to sleep.

81vVpqg3aqL._RI_.jpg

A family man out jogging one morning finds a neighbor's young son dead along a secluded path. He jets back home to call the police. The investigation begins.

As the local police start to delve into the crime, it seems that the man out jogging may have more to do with the murder than it appears. Questions are asked. Alibis need to be confirmed. Motives start to pop up!

As he tries to convince the community that he is innocent, startling revelations are unearthed and the police have him in their cross hairs! Even his wife seems to be backing off backing him!

This was the 2nd time I caught this 6 part series. This is a solid mystery that will keep you guessing until the very end. Think Broadchurch meets Australia.

4/5.

(Caught it the first time several years ago on Amazon or Netflix....I forget. It's now available on Youtube.)

MV5BMzg5ZDFkMzYtNjRkYi00Y2ZlLThhMjktOWY3ZDVjODg0NzMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjExMjk0ODk@._V1_.jpg

The main character, played by Robbie C, is a heavy gambler, chain smoker and non-stop boozer. His wife still puts up with him, but the stress he brings to the family is pushing her/them away.

But this is not really a family series. See, Robbie C's character is a psychologist who is called on, reluctantly, to help the local police solve cases when they are stuck. He uses unconventional methods and also rubs the police force the wrong way during their interactions.

He gets to the bottom of the cases by analyzing the people/situations and leading the coppers in the right direction.

Yeah...this has been done before/many times....see some guy named Sherlock. But this is good stuff!

Again, the British put together a very good series and it delivers. I just found this on Youtube this week. Never heard about it prior to that.

^
I caught that ep last night and it was VERY good. Actually, brilliant, tense and what an ending!

4/5 for what I have seen so far.

The Pembrokeshire Murders.

ITV 3 parter about a multiple killer who was convicted, years later, on DNA evidence. Interesting to reflect back on this case for UK viewers. He had appeared on TV darts show a month before one murder. Footage from the show helped confirm what he looked like at the time for the prosecution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom