What's On Your Plate - DressedWell Foodie Thread

lucky bastard.

we're having stone crabs. pretty much the only thing to look forward to.
8bc0f1d691aa1471c12280f2926f7ee1.jpg

A3495E6A-7F2F-4A68-82AC-88150C037455.jpeg

Super-easy recipe and very kid-friendly. I added some beef sausage but otherwise stuck to the script:

Now that Thailand has reopened without any COVID restrictions, I am thinking about heading back in Feb.

Great food....

My aunt is in town visiting and brought over some home-made pho that was out of this world!

F949DE09-C8F2-49D3-923D-8AB5D6092417.jpeg

Top quality charcuterie and cheese there. It's a Lunchables? Sh*tty watery tomatoes that are out of season are sh*tty no matter what. Proper in season tomatoes are glorious. Why else would the Catalonians just eat bread and tomato.

After a week in Chicago, I’m a convert to these things. Didn’t even know they existed until this week!

IMG_9945.jpeg

Friend gave me a couple pounds of venison that he shot and I made a good chilli. Mostly pretty standard, except:
Fuck the no beans Texas rule
About three shot of tequila once the onions start to soften, let the alcohol boil off while retaining the flavor
IMG_0085.jpeg

I think you're supposed to buy pasta di Gragnano. Fortunately they have one at Barilla prices at the local supermarket. Imho the pasta is not too important. It's the sugo. Good sugo + bad pasta is still an OK meal. Good pasta + bad sugo not so much.

I find my pasta purchasing is driven by the need to find a certain shape for the recipe I'm making. In North America there is a ton of fusilli, penne rigate, spaghetti (that is more like spaghettini) and linguine. It's near impossible to find trofie or maccheroni (not elbows). For every 5 boxes of spaghetti there is maybe one box of bucatini (if it is even there).

I used to use Monograno Felicetti because it was heavily promoted on Italia Squisita where it was $9 a box at Eataly. For egg pasta (tagliatelle, pappardelle, fettucine) I always look for La Campofilone. Strangely you can't find the classic Maccheroncini here from the same brand. If I'm just picking up pasta for no special reason or another then Garofalo and La Molisana. They're the most common in supermarkets here and most of them carry a variety of shapes on the shelves. The sausage guy who used to be at the market swore by Rummo but I never tried it.

There's another video from the Vincenzo guy (https://www.vincenzosplate.com/cheap-vs-expensive-pasta/) that shows how they hold sauce and if they increase in size after boiling.

I'm not an expert but I find the more expensive pasta holds shape and maintains its chewiness longer in boiling water compared to just dumping a bunch of Kraft dinner in a pot of water. I find more expensive pasta gives off more starch. The water is murky. Both those help when you transfer it to the pan to start the creaming process. People I make pasta for tend to like a softer texture than Italian style al dente so I'm not really able to take advantage of that aspect.

These days because of my father's diabetes I've been experimenting a lot with lentil, whole wheat, ancient grain, and bean pastas - none of which are really good for making cream/sauce since they have a low starch content.

I think you're supposed to buy pasta di Gragnano. Fortunately they have one at Barilla prices at the local supermarket. Imho the pasta is not too important. It's the sugo. Good sugo + bad pasta is still an OK meal. Good pasta + bad sugo not so much.

For pasta al forno, I agree there's not much difference since you're parboiling it and then baking it. For pasta frittata you're frying it so it becomes an even more moot point. I'd go as far as to say if you're making pasta to pack for a lunch your microwave reheating will kill any sense of delicate appreciation anyway.

Because you think I should steam and smoke things?

I don't actually have a lot of kitchen gadgets because I live in a tiny place. I use a Ninja juicer/blender as a "blender" (with only one type of blade).

I could get a foam gun but how many times am I going to use it?

My favourite Albanian singer, her London upbringing and accent and French food. J'adore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom