Ask A Quick Question

^Pauly, I've never bothered to precisely match.

I've got a chocolate brown suede belt that goes with a pair of chocolate brown suede shoes, but apart from that I have a sort of mid-to-darkish brown belt that I wear with all other brown shoes, regardless of shade, from tan to chestnut to a really dark chocolate brown. I even wear the brown belt with reddish-cognac shoes. No-one's ever noticed anything or, if they did, they never said anything!

I really think that trying to match your belt to your shoes is too anally retentive. As long as you don't wear a brown belt with black shoes, or vice versa, it should be fine.

Would you wear smooth leather belt with suede shoes?

I asked because I have recently acquired a pair of Tricker's in apple green, don't feel like buying a green belt.

Would you wear smooth leather belt with suede shoes?

I do, yes. I've got a pair of "polo suede" C&Js - a reasonably lightish brown suede colour - and I wear it with my usual leather belt because I feel that the chocolate suede belt is too dark.

It’s a fairly light 285gsm VBC that is about to go on sale, but I’m struggling to see it with anything other than grey trousers and tie. Am I just lacking imagination or is it not very versatile?

95B44DBE-BA61-49F5-BDB5-995BD0503E68.jpeg

7CA349BB-6DBD-467C-8348-A62625ECA63C.jpeg

Last edited:
Are there any menswear Instagram accounts actually worth following? I finally relented and downloaded the app.

It’s a fairly light 285gsm VBC that is about to go on sale, but I’m struggling to see it with anything other than grey trousers and tie. Am I just lacking imagination or is it not very versatile?

View attachment 31091
View attachment 31092

Is suity to me. But is a versatile colour. Think of tweeds. Green is score colour. It is green isn't it? Anyway, if the plaid had a larger scale it would be better. It's on the edge now but needs more FU.

1. How long should a tie be with high waisted trousers? What is too short / too long?
Why are you wearing high waisted trousers gramps?

OK so the last several years the trend was for trouser rise to be ridiculously low but we all don’t have to jump on the inevitable bandwagon as the pendulum swings too far in the other direction.
Why not get natural waisted trousers forever and then never have to worry about such things?

1. How long should a tie be with high waisted trousers? What is too short / too long?
tip to belt buckle is the gold standard. shouldn't be shorter, shouldn't be longer. if it is a slight bit either way, its not the end of the world. if its way off, you're going to look like an asshole.

Why are you wearing high waisted trousers gramps?

OK so the last several years the trend was for trouser rise to be ridiculously low but we all don’t have to jump on the inevitable bandwagon as the pendulum swings too far in the other direction.
Why not get natural waisted trousers forever and then never have to worry about such things?

By "high waisted" I actually meant natural waist,s orry. It's just all my casual clothes ride off my hips, so my natural belly button or anywhere around there feels high to me.

I don't know what "high waisted" any higher would look like.

tip to belt buckle is the gold standard. shouldn't be shorter, shouldn't be longer. if it is a slight bit either way, its not the end of the world. if its way off, you're going to look like an asshole.

I just wanted to know because all the other threads have comments about "tie penor" and showing off etc. Thanks

I just wanted to know because all the other threads have comments about "tie penor" and showing off etc. Thanks
here's the president showing off the with the front blade too long

Donald-Trump1.jpg

this is more common with douchebags or people who don't know how to wear ties. the back blade too long is more common with these internet fashion faggots who think they're hot shit because they're showing both sides of their ties.

I still struggle a bit in choosing pocket squares when wearing an open collar. Would you say the primary colour should be complementing the shirt? With this outfit, would I do better with a blue silk paisley ps?

3F4FFE0F-3CE7-4943-95BF-3D1780592AAD.jpeg

regardless of the fact that I forego pocket squares, why bother when going tieless?

after all, a paisley pattern is always a safe bet.

I still struggle a bit in choosing pocket squares when wearing an open collar. Would you say the primary colour should be complementing the shirt? With this outfit, would I do better with a blue silk paisley ps?

View attachment 31117

View attachment 31117
That ps works well and enhances the outfit. The way you wear the ps here (just poking out) makes the outfit more effective.

No, the ps doesn't need to complement the shirt, it just needs to enhance an outfit. It can do this by tying an outfit together by balancing it out by gently matching some colour in your outfit, or it can enhance an outfit by providing some interest in the outfit that creates good harmony.

So many men mess it up when it comes to the ps. They wear it like a uniform and they wear it with no style. Those t.v men who wear the ps look like dopes. A ps needs to be done just right for the occasion. Here you wear it with style.

I do the ps only at times when l know l am going to rock it to good effect. Sometimes it's big, sometimes it's small, and other times it's medium sized. And it can have different shapes depending on my mood and clothing.

Last edited:
Would it kill you to write "pocket square"? This forum has become just like Crompton's comments board. Wall-to-wall acronyms.

Would it kill you to write "pocket square"? This forum has become just like Crompton's comments board. Wall-to-wall acronyms.

To be honest...I also used ps instead of pocket square and l did feel guilty about it. It is crude behaviour and l normally don't do things like that. One thing l will write occasionally is lol, and l don't feel so bad about that because it has always tickled my fancy. When l first went on internet forums, in the first year of posting I thought lol had something to do with lollies, and was always confused why clothing forums always talked about lollies in their posts. I never thought to type in lol to the internet. Actually, for the first year of posting I didn't even know how to cut and paste links, and i'd copy each link out on paper and then painstakingly type it out. I also never knew how to use google....I had books of hand written links so l could find things instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom