Ask A Quick Question

I have a Ralph lauren quilted barn jacket that I like much better than Barbours. Sort of the same style......somewhat. No, it isn't waterproof. I also don't need to wax it and I don't see 4,764,932 people in NYC wearing it.

This isn't the exact one...but it is similar. Mine is black.

shopping

I find myself in general agreement even if my comments would be more diplomatic.
You want politeness and good manners? Go to SF where you are hounded off if you say anything remotely critical, especially of the daily posters. The result being a circle jerk of back patting, and tolerance of mister fucking blackwatch and his disgusting legs.

I find myself in general agreement even if my comments would be more diplomatic.

Barbours are exactly what they're meant to be: waxed jackets for picking-up hay bails and cruising around the grounds of your stately home or safari park in the rain. They were also part of the sloane ranger look in 1987 or 1988. For years they never recovered and you couldn't be seen dead in one as they became last years fashion. In these fashionless time one can wear with impunity.

I like my RL vs Barbour because it is definitely more versatile. To me, a Barbour is a rain/work jacket. The RL can be worn out(a date, etc) and it won't "drag" an outfit down.

Nothing wrong with Barbour for what it is meant for. Just not fo me.

Last edited:
I like Barbour jackets, obviously. Rugged and reliable. I got rid of my Sapper and picked-up the Border because I wanted a better hood and collar and the extra length to keep water off my trouser pockets when I’m in the rain. I’ll wear mine walking the dog, shooting and standing outside watching my kids’ sports matches.

The shorter equestrian and motorcycle jackets are probably more flattering and better for city wear, but I’ve opted for a heavy duty military grade parka loaded with large pockets.

The one thing that looks odd to me is people wearing a waxed hunting jacket over a city suit.

I wanted a better hood and collar and the extra length to keep water off my trouser pockets when I’m in the rain. I’ll wear mine walking the dog, shooting and standing outside watching my kids’ sports matches.

They are perfect for you and your needs.

I like Barbour jackets, obviously. Rugged and reliable. I got rid of my Sapper and picked-up the Border because I wanted a better hood and collar and the extra length to keep water off my trouser pockets when I’m in the rain. I’ll wear mine walking .., shooting at my kids’ sports matches.
FTFY.
You're in USA now.

Eh. It came out well, but I have some buyer’s regret. Maybe I should have gone with a shorter Beaufort. This will be great for hiking and shooting, but not for weekdays jumping in and out of the car.

Eh. It came out well, but I have some buyer’s regret. Maybe I should have gone with a shorter Beaufort. This will be great for hiking and shooting, but not for weekdays jumping in and out of the car.
A Bedale might be what you are after then? Or will that be too short? I liked using mine around town, before it got stolen.

A Bedale might be what you are after then? Or will that be too short? I liked using mine around town, before it got stolen.

In terms of decreasing length length:

Border, Beaufort, Ashby, Bedale

Beaufort will fit over a sport coat. Ashby and Bedale won’t.

The Beaufort is 2-3 inches longer than the Bedale. The Ashby is slightly longer than the Bedale.

Border’s length is too long which makes it look like you are going out to slop the hogs or expose yourself at the bus station.

If you can find a Moorland in the second hand market, it is a heavier weight fabric version of the Beaufort.

For the short-arsed bloke (like oneself), the Bedale fits like a Beaufort. It covers one's sport coat with a couple of inches to spare.

If you can find a Moorland in the second hand market, it is a heavier weight fabric version of the Beaufort.

Tell me more about the Moorland. Is it identical to the Beaufort, just a heavier fabric? And sage green not olive, right? Does the extra fabric weight add much warmth or alter the way it feels? Or is it more about being more tear resistant?

Tell me more about the Moorland. Is it identical to the Beaufort, just a heavier fabric? And sage green not olive, right? Does the extra fabric weight add much warmth or alter the way it feels? Or is it more about being more tear resistant?

Mine is brown. Same features as Beaufort. Does not really add any warmth. Feels the same except you can appreciate the difference in fabric.

Never been able to understand the appeal of barbour.
Me neither. I don’t like the fabric and the need to put wax on it. It is not particularly rainproof as the rain simply runs down onto your legs. A Drizabone waxed coat solves the rain problem but is more suitable for a cattle drive than city streets.

In the UK a Barbour was a social climbers coat for a while - the green welly brigade who aspired to a country estate. Seems very popular with Muffy Saltwater in the USA along with the entire contents of the Cordings catalogue. I assume she gets a retainer from them.

Me three
Dirty, greasy and smelly, and as noted above there are far superior options around probably costing less if being warm and dry are the objective. They don’t even look good.

Me neither. I don’t like the fabric and the need to put wax on it. It is not particularly rainproof as the rain simply runs down onto your legs. A Drizabone waxed coat solves the rain problem but is more suitable for a cattle drive than city streets.

In the UK a Barbour was a social climbers coat for a while - the green welly brigade who aspired to a country estate. Seems very popular with Muffy Saltwater in the USA along with the entire contents of the Cordings catalogue. I assume she gets a retainer from them.
On the farm I had a calf length Driza Bone and a plastic/rubber trousers and jacket plus a boatman's rain hat to stop rain going down the neck. These days there's better jackets with rain hoodies.

The Driza Bone with rubber boots( Wellingtons to poms) was better for cattle work where you are standing up and walking but no good, even unsafe, for labouring as the coat is impractical. Labouring or active work is where I wore the jacket and trousers.

Any opinions about the differences between Albert Thruston brace fabric? Jaquard, barathea, boxcloth, etc.?

Jacquard are the printed braces (paisley patterns etc). Barathea can be plain or striped. Boxcloth are a more felt-like, thicker fabric and have strange, floppy ends when you shorten them.

As a result, I prefer barathea and all of my pairs of braces are barathea, either plain or striped. I have black or brown leather tabs on my suspenders but you can also get them with braided fabric ends in a variety of colours.

Any opinions about the differences between Albert Thruston brace fabric? Jaquard, barathea, boxcloth, etc.?

Braces add another layer of fabric on top of your shirt. So in warm weather, or if you're prone to overheating, it's best to avoid boxcloth.

I don't much like elastic braces. They can get uncomfortable. Barathea is a good option.

Albert Thurston used to make braces for some of the more competitively-priced brands, like TM Lewin. You could get Albert Thurston quality at high-street prices. Alas, now they only make braces for the iGent brands, and prices have shot up. They also sell under their own name of course.

Thurston and Trafalgar are the two "big" names in braces. Thurston used to, at least, make braces for Brooks Brothers and Polo Ralph Lauren.

As a result, you can usually see lots of well-priced sets of braces on eBay that are labelled as BB or Polo RL but which are made by Thurston or Trafalgar.

Thurston and Trafalgar are the two "big" names in braces. Thurston used to, at least, make braces for Brooks Brothers and Polo Ralph Lauren.

As a result, you can usually see lots of well-priced sets of braces on eBay that are labelled as BB or Polo RL but which are made by Thurston or Trafalgar.

thanks guys

Any opinions on Trafalgar?

Does anyone have a good guide on how a shirt should fit? Or something with lots of pictures?

Collar should be snug but not tight.

The whole thing shouldn't be so tight that you look like you're exploding like those ghastly Instagram models with the massive pecs and tight trousers. Nor should it be so baggy that it spills out of your jacket.

It's very much a question of personal preference. If you think it looks good, go for it. If you're getting bespoke, trust your tailor. If not, try it on first.

Collar should be snug but not tight.

The whole thing shouldn't be so tight that you look like you're exploding like those ghastly Instagram models with the massive pecs and tight trousers. Nor should it be so baggy that it spills out of your jacket.

It's very much a question of personal preference. If you think it looks good, go for it. If you're getting bespoke, trust your tailor. If not, try it on first.

I take it it’s the same for sleeve length? Some gents cover their cuffs, others don’t?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom