Disagreeable Menswear Post Of The Day

I don't get all these 'adults' posing at the Pitti. Are they really that insecure and thus need validation from strangers and a bunch of apes on Instagram?
It is pitiful and sickening.

isn't that the whole concept of instagram. a place for brownnosers, claqueurs, parvenus etc.,

criticism is more or less forbidden, discussions lead you to get blocked instantly. yes, it is pitiful and sickening, agreed.

I came across this interesting pic of twenty first century flamboyant homeless people in Italy today:

Must open GoFundMe for Pooper psycheatric help

DE3F941D-DF41-4F83-A6F1-2F1879168B4F.png

I actually like some of the 70s Shaft like stuff...

I espcially like those larger size bronze tinted Aviators that were popular back then. They are very cool....

I’ve really been digging into the 80s vibe lately.

I caught the back end of the 80s before pop culture ran out of steam. Great silhouettes, good looking women and everyone put effort into looking good on a night out. You would likely meet girls who looked like the lady out of Sade or those girls in Bananarama or The Human League.

Right on time the decade stopped and everything was an enforced grungy vibe and music didn't pick-up up again until the mid-1990s. Women started to cut their hair like Princess Diana and looking back she was no sex symbol at all. You went from Romancing The Stone feel good movies to the neo-noir and that was the time of the strikes in Hollywood over the abysmal quality of the films getting made.

Rock and pop still felt young then. Now it feels old the practitioners are old and grey. The romance and mystique of the electric guitar is dead.

I can still remember the first showing of The Graduate on the BBC. They had banned it for over 20 years as being too controversial. They showed it for the first time in 1989 as I remember.

Lets see what the 2020s are like!

Last edited:
I know we are getting off topic, but the 1980s was the last time you had any real subcultures and youth cultures. The idea of independent or ‘alternative’ music was taken seriously. Some pop figures blurred gender lines in the name of art, while style remained largely divided into masculine and feminine. In many ways it was a gloomy Cold War era, but there were certainly moments of light and optimism. Yes, a lot of the style was awful, but there are some gems to mine as well.

Hold my beer, I think we need a thread on interesting/emblematic styles of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

I know we are getting off topic, but the 1980s was the last time you had any real subcultures and youth cultures. The idea of independent or ‘alternative’ music was taken seriously. Some pop figures blurred gender lines in the name of art, while style remained largely divided into masculine and feminine. In many ways it was a gloomy Cold War era, but there were certainly moments of light and optimism. Yes, a lot of the style was awful, but there are some gems to mine as well.

Hold my beer, I think we need a thread on interesting/emblematic styles of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

Eh, the 90s had significant subcultures as well.

I can't think of any sartorial gems to mine from the 80s, except the sports wear which was great.

Vuarnet and Oakley sunglasses, dayglo wetsuits, white suits over cyan t shirts with espadrilles come to mind.

Funny enough on this topic, my single greatest investment of all time was a pair of original Oakley Frogskins off eBay in like 2002. I think I paid 99 cents for them. They go for a couple hundred bucks in good condition now!

Vuarnet and Oakley sunglasses, dayglo wetsuits, white suits over cyan t shirts with espadrilles come to mind.

Funny enough on this topic, my single greatest investment of all time was a pair of original Oakley Frogskins off eBay in like 2002. I think I paid 99 cents for them. They go for a couple hundred bucks in good condition now!

Very Miami Vice...

I can't channel any of the 80s stuff (sportswear excepted), and I'm constantly looking out for something to have a play-around with. Women's fashion can raid that period, but menswear? ain't feelin' it brah.

The 80s style-wise, has dated badly, which I think is related to it being very much a 'designer' led decade. Try watching an episode of Miami Vice now, hyper-stylised and practically unwatchable. It was cutting edge in its day.

60s & 70s have loads of stuff...the 70 was a deeply funky period...

Very Miami Vice...

I can't channel any of the 80s stuff (sportswear excepted), and I'm constantly looking out for something to have a play-around with. Women's fashion can raid that period, but menswear? ain't feelin' it brah.

The 80s style-wise, has dated badly, which I think is related to it being very much a 'designer' led decade. Try watching an episode of Miami Vice now, hyper-stylised and practically unwatchable. It was cutting edge in its day.

I mean, don't get me wrong. It was not a good time, I'd say even worse for women to be honest. The revival of 80's cut jeans for women is one of the more bizarre occurrences of my life time without doubt. But there are certainly things that still work. Lacoste polo and Levis another thing that springs to mind that was an 80's mainstay I still like.

There's also a UK/US divide on this.

I mean, don't get me wrong. It was not a good time, I'd say even worse for women to be honest. The revival of 80's cut jeans for women is one of the more bizarre occurrences of my life time without doubt. But there are certainly things that still work. Lacoste polo and Levis another thing that springs to mind that was an 80's mainstay I still like.

There's also a UK/US divide on this.

Well, I class Lacoste polos as sportswear, and I'm a big fan. God knows haw many Lacoste Polos I've had over the years. Levis I could never get to fit me properly.

Wayfarers
Pastels
Doc Martins
501 jeans (not skinny or baggy)
Op Shop chic
Indie/goth monotones and black
Barbour and country style for the rest of us
Ivy revival (happens most decades tho)
Mini skirts
Leather jackets
Mod revival

most people looked like shit in the 1980s. Like most decades. But there were some gems worth digging up.

Last edited:
No mater how much menswear nerds try, the beanie will never, ever look good in a dressed up setting. They're really trying to shoehorn it in there.

No mater how much menswear nerds try, the beanie will never, ever look good in a dressed up setting. They're really trying to shoehorn it in there.
Some idiot on SF who looked like Eric Menendez on day release posted a week’s worth of sport coat outfits, several days paired with a bright blue beanie. Not a single comment of derision and the predictable plethora of ‘likes’. I despair of that place.

There are some good examples of guys wearing beanies while wearing “Menswear” but a lot of the bad is overshadowing the good hahahahaha

Very Miami Vice...

Miami Vice used rapid fast editing techniques which were described at the time as music video like. It's dated extremely badly as you say. But you watch some other stuff from the same period Magnum and The Fall Guy, they're actually quite watchable.

I remember the Miami Vice episode with U2's Wire and thinking this is so cool, and I've go to get to America!

Miami Vice is also (in)famous for Miles Davis instead of being an ambassador for his race, played the mugging black pimp caricature. Desperate and embarrassing.

Well, I class Lacoste polos as sportswear, and I'm a big fan. God knows haw many Lacoste Polos I've had over the years. Levis I could never get to fit me properly.

Lacoste have squandered their heritage and now they're firmly a youth brand with some legacy pique polos going on. Nice thin shirts if you live somewhere hot and are built like a soy boy.

That New York art rock vibe with Lacoste Izod's I only remember reaching me in 1987/88.

most people looked like shit in the 1980s. Like most decades. But there were some gems worth digging up.

There was a lot better dressing going on the 1980s than now. Period.

Me in a beanie, in a fucking Arctic squall. The only time a grown arse man should be wearing knitwear on his head:

7DF52D33-9512-4F8B-811B-328275E90857.jpeg

Me in a beanie, in a fucking Arctic squall. The only time a grown arse man should be wearing knitwear on his head:

View attachment 33101

Interesting, as I'm completely shaved on my head due to baldness and I find that it needs to be lower that 4C/39F, any higher and I get a terrible spot somewhere on the forehead that takes about 4-6 weeks to disappear.

You have the most curious reading comprehension of anyone I've come across.

That's because my brain is four or five sentences ahead, or it could just be I'm 2-3 pre-dinner drinks ahead fo everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom