Famous People Who Died

Jan Libourel

Charles Webb, novelist, author of The Graduate that was made into the iconic 1960s movie of the same title. As I recall, he got $20,000 for the rights (which of course went a lot further 55 years ago than now). The reason I particularly mention him is that he was my house prefect in prep school (Midland School, Los Olivos, CA). At one point he and his fellow prefect whipped me for having a messy room, but it was no big deal. My wife always uses that as an argument against the efficacy of corporal punishment. At other times he would come at me with an axe helve, but that was all in fun--just the way we did things at that school in those days.(It's much changed now--very PC.) In all I really liked the guy. From all I've heard, he subsequently became extremely odd and eccentric. I never would have suspected that back when I knew him. I think his wife was a big influence in his transformation. Any woman who changes her name to "Fred" is going to be something of an odd duck. I heard that at least at one point she refused to wear clothing (at home, I presume) because it "stifled creativity."

Pimpernel Smith

Charles Webb, novelist, author of The Graduate that was made into the iconic 1960s movie of the same title. As I recall, he got $20,000 for the rights (which of course went a lot further 55 years ago than now). The reason I particularly mention him is that he was my house prefect in prep school (Midland School, Los Olivos, CA). At one point he and his fellow prefect whipped me for having a messy room, but it was no big deal. My wife always uses that as an argument against the efficacy of corporal punishment. At other times he would come at me with an axe helve, but that was all in fun--just the way we did things at that school in those days.(It's much changed now--very PC.) In all I really liked the guy. From all I've heard, he subsequently became extremely odd and eccentric. I never would have suspected that back when I knew him. I think his wife was a big influence in his transformation. Any woman who changes her name to "Fred" is going to be something of an odd duck. I heard that at least at one point she refused to wear clothing (at home, I presume) because it "stifled creativity."
One of life's eccentrics, gave away everything and lived in self-imposed poverty, or non-materialism. With his death, hopefully there will be a way to get follow-up to The Graduate published. The BBC didn't get around to showing the very late 80s and might have been even the early 90s. It was over 20 years after release.

Pimpernel Smith

Here's a dead cert if ever there was one, can you place bets on her apparent suicide, or demise through natural causes:

She may well have struck a deal, and I thought she was hiding out in Paris? Life expectancy just reduced by 30 years.

Kingstonian

Jack Charlton old school, no-nonsense footballer 85.

World Cup winner and successful Ireland manager.

Memorably said he did not play well but knew how to stop others doing so.

formby002

Jack Charlton old school, no-nonsense footballer 85.

World Cup winner and successful Ireland manager.

Memorably said he did not play well but knew how to stop others doing so.
Didn't know that he served in the Household Cavalry during his National Service...

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
Michael Brooks of The Majority Report and the TMBS show just dropped dead suddenly.

Fwiffo

Supporter
I don’t think I ever saw him. Now I wonder if I missed something significant.
Nope. He was a talk show hack who somehow got into a broadcast network's morning show. Same as Geraldo Rivera. Jerry Springer. Etc. Did tons of specials, holiday pieces in addition to his day job so I reckon that's how he had the most on screen hours. Oh - he was also the who wants to be a millionaire host.

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Nope. He was a talk show hack who somehow got into a broadcast network's morning show. Same as Geraldo Rivera. Jerry Springer. Etc. Did tons of specials, holiday pieces in addition to his day job so I reckon that's how he had the most on screen hours. Oh - he was also the who wants to be a millionaire host.
I saw a few episodes of Phil Donahue 30 years ago and that’s about the extent of my American daytime TV knowledge. But everyone is eulogising this guy into being Bob Ross or the red cardigan bloke.

Fwiffo

Supporter
I saw a few episodes of Phil Donahue 30 years ago and that’s about the extent of my American daytime TV knowledge. But everyone is eulogising this guy into being Bob Ross or the red cardigan bloke.
Phil Donahue. Another wank. I assure you that you missed nothing of value by not ever seeing him. In fact compared to me you gained in life.

Hopefully you watched paint dry or sauteed peas on very low heat for hours.

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
or the red cardigan bloke.
Mr. Rodgers? regis was nowhere near as influential as he was.

Phil Donahue. Another wank. I assure you that you missed nothing of value by not ever seeing him. In fact compared to me you gained in life.

Hopefully you watched paint dry or sauteed peas on very low heat for hours.
anyone remember Sally Jesse Raphael?

Pimpernel Smith

Driven mad by drugs in his twenties.
Wasn't he one of those people who took LSD once and it really screwed him up?

Caetano Veloso, in his autobiography, states that it really messed him up too and it took him about six months to recover. That was one dose.

One of the two bad trips that Timothy Leary had was with Jack Kerouac. He wouldn't let go of his ego, and drank a bottle of whisky to override the LSD. And it worked. But it was intense, especially for Leary.

With mushrooms if it gets too intense, a sniff of coke will bring you back down to earth. Not sure that would work, or whether you would be able to be sufficiently aware with LSD to do that.

The only psychedelic experience I'm interested in at this stage of my life, is DMT.

formby002

Wasn't he one of those people who took LSD once and it really screwed him up?

Caetano Veloso, in his autobiography, states that it really messed him up too and it took him about six months to recover. That was one dose.

One of the two bad trips that Timothy Leary had was with Jack Kerouac. He wouldn't let go of his ego, and drank a bottle of whisky to override the LSD. And it worked. But it was intense, especially for Leary.

With mushrooms if it gets too intense, a sniff of coke will bring you back down to earth. Not sure that would work, or whether you would be able to be sufficiently aware with LSD to do that.

The only psychedelic experience I'm interested in at this stage of my life, is DMT.
I don't believe that anything can bring you down from an acid trip, its way to strong a drug for that. You've gorra ride it out baby....

Journeyman

Supporter
^Yes, was just about to post about Alan Parker. Some great films - Pink Floyd's The Wall, Mississippi Burning, Fame and others.

Another person who died recently was William "Bill" English, who helped to invent the computer mouse:

Pimpernel Smith

Had to look him up. I have heard the father Steve Earle. Steve Earle always seems to sing in a very contrived, over-the-top accent.
Steve Earle toured with The Pogues, but I agree his voice sounds too contrived for the Brits to take him seriously as a rebel.

Kingstonian

Steve Earle toured with The Pogues, but I agree his voice sounds too contrived for the Brits to take him seriously as a rebel.
It put me in mind of ‘authentic frontier gibberish’ from Blazing Saddles.

I did see Steve Earle at The Barbican once. An Alt country festival. For some reason the Blind Boys of Alabama were also on the bill. They were very good. Steve Earle was disappointing.

Top Bottom