Famous People Who Died

Jan Libourel

Charles Webb, novelist, author of The Graduate that was made into the iconic 1960s movie of the same title. As I recall, he got $20,000 for the rights (which of course went a lot further 55 years ago than now). The reason I particularly mention him is that he was my house prefect in prep school (Midland School, Los Olivos, CA). At one point he and his fellow prefect whipped me for having a messy room, but it was no big deal. My wife always uses that as an argument against the efficacy of corporal punishment. At other times he would come at me with an axe helve, but that was all in fun--just the way we did things at that school in those days.(It's much changed now--very PC.) In all I really liked the guy. From all I've heard, he subsequently became extremely odd and eccentric. I never would have suspected that back when I knew him. I think his wife was a big influence in his transformation. Any woman who changes her name to "Fred" is going to be something of an odd duck. I heard that at least at one point she refused to wear clothing (at home, I presume) because it "stifled creativity."

Pimpernel Smith

Charles Webb, novelist, author of The Graduate that was made into the iconic 1960s movie of the same title. As I recall, he got $20,000 for the rights (which of course went a lot further 55 years ago than now). The reason I particularly mention him is that he was my house prefect in prep school (Midland School, Los Olivos, CA). At one point he and his fellow prefect whipped me for having a messy room, but it was no big deal. My wife always uses that as an argument against the efficacy of corporal punishment. At other times he would come at me with an axe helve, but that was all in fun--just the way we did things at that school in those days.(It's much changed now--very PC.) In all I really liked the guy. From all I've heard, he subsequently became extremely odd and eccentric. I never would have suspected that back when I knew him. I think his wife was a big influence in his transformation. Any woman who changes her name to "Fred" is going to be something of an odd duck. I heard that at least at one point she refused to wear clothing (at home, I presume) because it "stifled creativity."
One of life's eccentrics, gave away everything and lived in self-imposed poverty, or non-materialism. With his death, hopefully there will be a way to get follow-up to The Graduate published. The BBC didn't get around to showing the very late 80s and might have been even the early 90s. It was over 20 years after release.

Pimpernel Smith

Here's a dead cert if ever there was one, can you place bets on her apparent suicide, or demise through natural causes:

She may well have struck a deal, and I thought she was hiding out in Paris? Life expectancy just reduced by 30 years.

Top Bottom