Famous People Who Died

formby002

But way back, wasn't there a tax rebate for parents that would cover the grant? I remember a colleague telling me about this. That would have been in the 70s I guess.

The Japanese fashion designer, Kenzo Takada, has died of Covid-19 at 81. I had a couple of Kenzo shirts in the early 90s, just before he sold the brand to the LVMH Group. Very bright. I was hanging on to the 80s back then.
You filled in a load of forms (stating parental income/mortgage/outgoings &c.) with your local LEA (council) who then worked out how much maintenance grant you got. Some students got the full amount. Can't remember the figures now, 30 odd years ago for me...

ter1413

Witness Protection Program

Pimpernel Smith

Kenzo, the brand, has been trash for a few years now.
As I posted earlier, I had a couple of shirts in the early 90s I quite liked. All those brands including the likes of Etro and Paul Smith tend to hit a peak where there is a buzz after which they settle into chain store concession mediocrity. Kenzo did sell the brand on as well in the mid 90s.

ter1413

Witness Protection Program

I'm a NY Mets fan....but the Big Red Machine was my 2nd favorite team to watch!

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
used to love watching miller and morgan on espn's sunday night baseball.

Kingstonian

Spencer Davis aged 81.

I thought he was one of the younger ones. Then I remembered that was Stevie Winwood.

Kingstonian

Frank Bough. BBC sports presenter aged 87, in a care home.

Surprised when he was brought down by a sex and drugs scandal. He didn’t seem the type.

Pimpernel Smith

Frank Bough. BBC sports presenter aged 87, in a care home.

Surprised when he was brought down by a sex and drugs scandal. He didn’t seem the type.
I thought he was already dead?!

He would of got away with the coke fueled S&M orgies in these more enlightened times.

Kingstonian

Nobby Stiles 78. World Cup winner.

Saw him at Wembley in the victory year. My father used to refer to him as Nobby Clarke. Back in those days most Nobbys had the surname Clarke.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Strange thing - most Clarkes here always used to be called Nobby or Knobby. Don't know why that started.

Thruth

thicker but more pliant than horsehide
Supporter

Pimpernel Smith

In the 80s he was seen as washed-up, a bit like his friend Michael Caine. It was the film of Eco's The Name of the Rose that brought him back to prominence.
There's an interview on Youtube with Michael Caine where the interviewer attempts to slag off The Man Who Would Be King, to which Michael Caine states it was a great film as he got to work with Sean Connery, John Huston and it paid for his mum's swimming pool or something to that effect.

Connery was brilliant in lesser films too: The Hill and Hell's Drivers, although it's difficult to tell the difference between him and Stanley Baker.

formby002

There's an interview on Youtube with Michael Caine where the interviewer attempts to slag off The Man Who Would Be King, to which Michael Caine states it was a great film as he got to work with Sean Connery, John Huston and it paid for his mum's swimming pool or something to that effect.

Connery was brilliant in lesser films too: The Hill and Hell's Drivers, although it's difficult to tell the difference between him and Stanley Baker.
Hell Drivers is brilliant, but in B&W and IIRC Sid James is in it too.

Jan Libourel

As I recall, Connery placed fourth in a Mr. Universe contest in 1954 (or thereabouts). Interestingly, Steve Reeves, one of the true all-time great physique men, was considered for the role of James Bond in Dr. No, also for the Man with No Name in a Fistful of Dollars, but he turned both down since he wanted to get out of the movie business. Considering the careers of the men who took those roles, I have to wonder whether he ever rued his decision.

Kingstonian

John Sessions mimic and comedian aged 67.

I particularly liked him in the underrated ‘Stella Street’ where Mick Jagger and Keith Richard (Sessions) run a newsagent shop in Surbiton. Lots of celebrities live in the vicinity.

Thruth

Supporter
John Sessions mimic and comedian aged 67.

I particularly liked him in the underrated ‘Stella Street’ where Mick Jagger and Keith Richard (Sessions) run a newsagent shop in Surbiton. Lots of celebrities live in the vicinity.

I found him brilliant on Whose Line is it Anyway?

Kingstonian

Geoffrey Palmer 93. Loved him in Reginald Perrin series as the ex army man with the clipped sentences. ‘Cock up on the catering front....’

Journeyman

Supporter
Geoffrey Palmer 93. Loved him in Reginald Perrin series as the ex army man with the clipped sentences. ‘Cock up on the catering front....’
Very fond memories of him from "As Time Goes By". My mum and dad loved that show.

Thruth

Supporter
Fwiffo Fwiffo , why have you not posted that the Yorkshire Ripper Peter Sutcliffe has died from COVID?

Crickey, Is your UK feed faltering?

Pimpernel Smith

Good on him for keeling over.
They're supposed to have spent over 10 million in his prison costs over the years. As his brother stated, he wasn't schizophrenic, he just got a sexual thrill from it all.

They interviewed him several times and had the police been more competent, they would have realized this was their man. But they were reliant on those wheel files and they local police refused Flying Squad help. It was the last major serial killer case to be investigated with analogue technology, an effective database would have had him well to the top of the list of suspects.

This is quite a good piece in The Daily Mail about him:

formby002

They're supposed to have spent over 10 million in his prison costs over the years. As his brother stated, he wasn't schizophrenic, he just got a sexual thrill from it all.

They interviewed him several times and had the police been more competent, they would have realized this was their man. But they were reliant on those wheel files and they local police refused Flying Squad help. It was the last major serial killer case to be investigated with analogue technology, an effective database would have had him well to the top of the list of suspects.

This is quite a good piece in The Daily Mail about him:

Incompetence wasn't the Police's only sin. They also referred only some of the victims as innocent, the ones who weren't prostitutes. I remember women being genuinely frightened across the North during his reign of terror.

Its also tragic how everyone remembers the name of the killer(s), but no one remembers the names of the victim(s). Notoriety rewarded by a place in the history books a point that Oliver Stone unsucessfully attempted to draw attention to with his film Natural Born Killers.

Top Bottom