Famous People Who Died

RTW is junk that costs an exuberant amount, but the couture and the cruise lines can be interesting. I watched a documentary on Karl, I don't think he was involved much in actual design, but rather decision making.

I always classed them as 3 hit wonder....but what did he die of, nothing in any of the MSM other than he had died aged 64?

No...no...no.

The first couple of albums were standard electropop fayre. Their last 3 albums were brilliant. The last 2, well ahead of their time.

The Colour of Spring is a fantasically engineered and recorded album and has long been a favourite of audiophiles.

The Colour of Spring is a fantasically engineered and recorded album and has long been a favourite of audiophiles.

Just had a quick listen to side 1 of that album, sounds pretty damn good. Only really knew of them when they had all those re-released singles in the early 90s.

Just had a quick listen to side 1 of that album, sounds pretty damn good. Only really knew of them when they had all those re-released singles in the early 90s.

Very sophisticated pop. Got labelled pretentious at the time, by the university educated, middle-class music jouros who like their working-class musical hero's to be more 'noble savage' like.

I think you'll like the last 2 albums. Very chill.

Andre Previn conductor.

89 years old .... yes 89.

Memorable for the quote “I am playing the right notes. But not necessarily in the right order” in the Morecabe and Wise show, decades ago.

Andre Previn conductor.

89 years old .... yes 89.

Memorable for the quote “I am playing the right notes. But not necessarily in the right order” in the Morecabe and Wise show, decades ago.

I didn't know that was his quote, but I do remember him being a darling of Brit television in the 70s and 80s along with Sacha Distel. Another contemporary and similar career path, Dave Brubeck, also a long life and died age 91.

1551455301243.png

People die of heart attacks at 52?

A quarter of people who have strokes are under 65. Also doing lines of coke of the arse of a Hollywood hooker increases stroke risk. Ymmv.

A quarter of people who have strokes are under 65. Also doing lines of coke of the arse of a Hollywood hooker increases stroke risk. Ymmv.

There's a big danger zone for men aged 45-65 with strokes the following day after a serious bender.

Dick Dale - famous surf rock musician.

he had to tour just to survive in this hellworld.

https://m.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbur...le-plays-through-the-pain/Content?oid=1843341

“I can’t stop touring because I will die,” Dale says. And he’s not saying that as the long-time performer who can’t give up the spotlight and the intoxicating adoration of his fans. Rather, he emphasizes, “Physically and literally, I will die.”

He’s not kidding or overstating. Dale isn’t about to drive cross-country with his wife, Lana — herself in chronic pain due to multiple sclerosis — because he craves money to live high on the hog. He’s doing it to pay for medical patches and pouches so he can change his colostomy bag more frequently than insurance will allow.

“I have to raise $3,000 every month to pay for the medical supplies I need to stay alive, and that’s on top of the insurance that I pay for,” Dale explains. “The hospital says change your patch once a week. No! If you don’t change that patch two times a day, the fecal matter eats through your flesh and causes the nerves to rot and they turn black, and the pain is so excruciating that you can’t let anything touch it. That has happened to me because I was following the orders of the hospital.”

They’ve also told him it’s OK to wash out and reuse the bags, but Dale says that the bacteria has nearly killed him and he won’t risk it. Because despite the pain, he’s a man who still loves life and wants to keep on living it — even if that means taxing and stressing his body to the outer limits.

“Sure, I’d love to stay home and build ships in a bottle and spend time with my wife in Hawaii, but I have to perform to save my life,” he says. “I’ve been living like this for the past 15 years, but I’m still here and opening my eyes each morning.”

$3000 a month on simple medical supplies! Something wrong with the system.

There is a separate thread I believe on the brilliance of the US health care system. As my former American work mate said, if I have money then I should be at the head of the queue.

Our beloved neighbors threw a birthday dinner party for me yesterday evening although my "official" birthday is today. I only realized late in life that when I was born on March 18 in Australia, it was March 17 here in the States, so whenever I have been celebrating my B-Day on March 18, I am actually a year and a day older. Anyway, a few of my other neighbors were guests, and it turns out one of them had been fairly well acquainted with Dick Dale. I had hitherto been oblivious to his existence.

Jan - thats 2 things I'm shocked to hear - that you were born in Oz and hadn't heard of Dick Dale.

Briefly told, while I was born in Australia, my stay there was but a short one. The timeline is this: My mother, gravid with me, was able to get a ride out of Java on the last American military plane to leave eastern Java on the night of February 28, just as the Japanese were about to invade the island. My father was a pilot in the Dutch naval air force, but he had been killed at the very outbreak of the war, whether in a crash or by enemy action is uncertain. I was born 18 days after her arrival in Australia. She was able to get on a ship going to the USA that sailed on April 20, and we were back at her family home in Los Angeles in early May. Obviously, I have no recollections of my sojourn in Australia.

We missed Scott Walker, not really listened to his music, but what I have from No Regrets to the Nite Flights is good. Bowie's version of Nite Flights is the best though.

I have been Scott Walker fan ever since the Walker Brothers. I have his later works - its demanding listening but rewarding. Tilt and The Drift are the most impressive albums.

Ranking Roger from The (English) Beat:

Yes, but he was not really famous was he? Not a big name even among the Two Tone crowd. Just one of the crowd in one of the lesser acts.

I know the dreadful BBC played a clip from one of their singles on Radio 4 news, but that just shows how far the BBC have sunk. Link it in to protests against Thatcher, push the ethnic minority aspect etc, etc.

Yes, but he was not really famous was he? Not a big name even among the Two Tone crowd. Just one of the crowd in one of the lesser acts.

I know the dreadful BBC played a clip from one of their singles on Radio 4 news, but that just shows how far the BBC have sunk. Link it in to protests against Thatcher, push the ethnic minority aspect etc, etc.

They had two lead singers, the guy with the blonde hair as well. That song would have been Stand Down Margaret. I preferred UB40's epic Madame Medusa which at the time, seemed a rallying cry against the Thatcher era.

The Beat where the only English ska type band to have some success in the USA. They changed their name to The English Beat and had a couple of decent extended mixes by Jellybean. Whatever success they had, it certainly hadn't kept Ranking Roger in any style. His settee has seen better days and what's with them ocelots?

Bob Hawke - Prime Minister of Australia from 1983 to 1991 and Australia's longest-serving Labor PM, died peacefully at the age of 89.

He was a Rhodes Scholar and apparently also held the world record for drinking a yard glass of ale.

Bob with Ronnie:

6512042-3x4-700x933.jpg

Bob with Bush 1:

6512166-3x2-940x627.jpg

I will say the bloke seemed to stop aging in his last 40-50 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom