Famous People Who Died

Given the fates of many so-called "primitive" peoples who came in contact with representatives of advanced civilizations, I should think not!

Exactly right! We could end up with effective genocide, rather than the occasional extraterrestrial anal probing...

A lot of narrative songs and morality tales. Sold lots of records too.

That's very much the American C&W genre along with John Ford westerns: great morality tales. Including the likes of Bob Wayne and Hank Williams III as the modern version of Outlaw Country.

Shame Kenny Rogers death is over shadowed by all of this shit. But my sister did send me a a Youtube link to Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town as a reminder of my grandparents. Actually, my grandfather was more of a rock n' roll fan and also liked Jack Teagarden before the war.

That's very much the American C&W genre along with John Ford westerns: great morality tales. Including the likes of Bob Wayne and Hank Williams III as the modern version of Outlaw Country.

Shame Kenny Rogers death is over shadowed by all of this shit. But my sister did send me a a Youtube link to Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town as a reminder of my grandparents. Actually, my grandfather was more of a rock n' roll fan and also liked Jack Teagarden before the war.
Marty Robbins was one example of the western narrative songs. I think Kenny Rogers was more mainstream - though he still considered himself as a country artist.

RIP Albert Uderzo, co-creator of the famous "Asterix" comic books:

asterix-creator-albert-uderzo-dies-aged-92-designboom-fb.jpg

That's a bit sad to hear, Jan!

Did you read them in childhood, or come to them later in life? That may well make a difference.

Because I loved them in childhood, I naturally have very fond memories of them (opening them on Christmas morning and reading them while lying on the rug next to the Christmas tree etc) and so that influences my feelings towards them.

Emmanuel N'Djoké "Manu" Dibango (12 December 1933 – 24 March 2020)

Of Covid-19

That's a bit sad to hear, Jan!

Did you read them in childhood, or come to them later in life? That may well make a difference.

Because I loved them in childhood, I naturally have very fond memories of them (opening them on Christmas morning and reading them while lying on the rug next to the Christmas tree etc) and so that influences my feelings towards them.

I'm pretty sure I didn't read them in childhood. It may have been that as a classicist my sympathies would have been with the Romans, but in any event, I was not amused.

(On looking into the matter, I couldn't possibly have read them in childhood because they came out in 1959, when I was 17 years old.)

I'm worried that Paul Weller might get it. With his heavy smoking if lung cancer or a smokers disease doesn't catch him, this will.

Bad week. Two of my favourites Bill Withers and John Prine.

Bad week. Two of my favourites Bill Withers and John Prine.

Blended families :-

If ‘Mustang’ Sally had married Mr. Withers they could have set up a great equestrian centre.

Likewise if John Steed had entered into a gay marriage with Mr. Withers.

Tim Brooke-Taylor aged 79. Comic actor. Corona virus.

The Goodies, At Last the 1948 Show, I’m Sorry I’ll Read That Again etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom