General fitness

Jan Libourel

Day before yesterday, I saw my orthopedist about some knee pains I've been having. It turns out it was arthritis again. To my great chagrin, the doctor ruled out squats and lunges--two of my favorite moves--and suggested an exercise bike. I've always rather despised exercise bikes as a somewhat "sissified" form of exercise, but I want to keep fighting the good fight. Anyway, my stepson, who happens to work at a bicycle shop, is going to set up an exercise bike for me this evening utilizing an inexpensive "beach cruiser" bicycle. I'll have to see how this works. Between my shoulder last summer and now my right leg, I feel like I'm falling to pieces, but I suppose that's just part of getting old!

Rambo

Supporter of Possible Sexual Deviants
Supporter
Day before yesterday, I saw my orthopedist about some knee pains I've been having. It turns out it was arthritis again. To my great chagrin, the doctor ruled out squats and lunges--two of my favorite moves--and suggested an exercise bike. I've always rather despised exercise bikes as a somewhat "sissified" form of exercise, but I want to keep fighting the good fight. Anyway, my stepson, who happens to work at a bicycle shop, is going to set up an exercise bike for me this evening utilizing an inexpensive "beach cruiser" bicycle. I'll have to see how this works. Between my shoulder last summer and now my right leg, I feel like I'm falling to pieces, but I suppose that's just part of getting old!
How bad is the pain? Did you get an X-ray or mri? Often they use “arthritis” as a blanket diagnosis as opposed to doing a more in-depth exam. Old so must be arthritis.

none of the arthritis meds really work. Diclofenac gel (voltaren brand name) works ok.

Jan Libourel

Thanks for the concern and advice, Rambo. Yes, they took multiple X-Rays. Fortunately, much of the time there is no pain at all or at most very little. I can still give the dogs lengthy walks and such.

Rambo

Supporter
Thanks for the concern and advice, Rambo. Yes, they took multiple X-Rays. Fortunately, much of the time there is no pain at all or at most very little. I can still give the dogs lengthy walks and such.
so only when doing squats? how about any other knee bending activities like lunges or even stretching? how's the flexibility in the affected leg? often hamstring and calf tightness can cause knee mobility issues. give me some test cases where you feel the pain and where you don't when you're exercising.

Jan Libourel

Thanks again for your concern, Rambo. Briefly, yes, I do feel some pain when doing lunging movements--mostly "gravediggers" and "uppercuts"--with my maces. It's not excruciating or anything...just bothersome and I know it's there. Anyway, the doctor ruled out lunges in addition to squats, alas! I have never been very flexible or done much stretching, so that may be part of them problem. I'll try to do some work in that regard.

Rambo

Supporter
Thanks again for your concern, Rambo. Briefly, yes, I do feel some pain when doing lunging movements--mostly "gravediggers" and "uppercuts"--with my maces. It's not excruciating or anything...just bothersome and I know it's there. Anyway, the doctor ruled out lunges in addition to squats, alas! I have never been very flexible or done much stretching, so that may be part of them problem. I'll try to do some work in that regard.
ok well flexibility would be the easiest fix. definitely recommend stretching the hamstrings, quads, and calves. hips as well. i can point you to some stretches or you can do some googling. you're a workout sadist so you'd probably enjoy a good foam rolling as well. HIGHLY recommended for getting out the knots and kinks. save that, unless you get any clicking or popping, its probably not a tracking issue or anything structural. start with the stretching and lay off the squats and lunges for 2 weeks. report back and let me know how you feel. if you need any recommendations on tools for stretching let me know.

Jan Libourel

Thanks for the advice about the Voltaren, Rambo. It turns out my wife is very familiar with it. I bought a tube, but I am a little chary of using it, there seem to be so many dire potential side effects!

Rambo

Supporter
Thanks for the advice about the Voltaren, Rambo. It turns out my wife is very familiar with it. I bought a tube, but I am a little chary of using it, there seem to be so many dire potential side effects!
i've never heard of people having side effects from the gel although i suppose its possible to some extent if you take a bath in it. give it a shot. i'm sure you won't break out in scabies just putting a bit on your knee. you really dont need much to cover the whole surface.

robertito

I used to take voltaren as a kid. I think that as a syrup. Very popular in Spain as anti-inflammatory medicine. I don't remember any side effects or similar so if my mother was giving to us it has to be good.:)

Dropbear

Member in Good Standing
Does anyone have experience with ‘ybells’? Basically a kettle and dumbbell combo you can also use to help with push-ups. I was thinking about getting a set to inspire me to do more strength training along with the running.

Rambo

Supporter
Does anyone have experience with ‘ybells’? Basically a kettle and dumbbell combo you can also use to help with push-ups. I was thinking about getting a set to inspire me to do more strength training along with the running.
Never even heard of them. Got a pic?

Arnathor

The Hamiltonian Hung Like a Horse
Supporter

Rambo

Supporter

A bit of a gimmick, but if it gets me to use them then I’m down with that.
i don't know. seems kind of weird. like what happens if you land down on the edge and it rolls the wrong way? something about that shape just seems odd to me.

Top Bottom