It's always five o'clock somewhere

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Just got to find the regular bartenders and not the college students
As I said in the chat, I walk into this bar and the bartender greets me. Puts a Johnnie Walker Black with one big rock out for me. Asks about my weekend and my parents. Live jazz band. I put my glass off the coaster napkin and he instinctively knows I need a refill. IMG_20181102_2123556.jpg

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
As I said in the chat, I walk into this bar and the bartender greets me. Puts a Johnnie Walker Black with one big rock out for me. Asks about my weekend and my parents. Live jazz band. I put my glass off the coaster napkin and he instinctively knows I need a refill. View attachment 31039
sounds like a fantastic place. they really don't make them like that any longer.

Kingstonian

Ratings
At the low rent end of the spectrum, Swanney Dark Munro - a 4% Mild from The Orkneys.

Slipped down easily. Nice to have a mild. Reassuring too that foreigners would not like it.
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/swannay-dark-munro/68874/
I would complain about tasteless Korean beers and the Japanese allegedly do not like the taste of beer either. However the fizziness of their stuff is almost as much of a turn off.

Mild used to be the place that dodgy landlords put all the leftovers. Now that is not such a risk. Probably threatened by craft beer though
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...er-mild-robinsons-campaign-for-real-ale-camra

Rambo

The Trollest Of Trolls
Ratings
I'm more impressed with his ability to keep the bottle stored properly for that long.

What are you drinking to celebrate the tail end of baby Moses?
got a chardonnay the guy at the store recommended to go with the stone crabs tomorrow. other than that i'm as dry as the fucking desert. not all of us have as charmed a life as you do.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Ratings
I'm more impressed with his ability to keep the bottle stored properly for that long.

What are you drinking to celebrate the tail end of baby Moses?
I actually got a lot of three from a collector at auction as a gift for my mom as it's her favorite wine. The corks did look a little iffy which made me nervous but I'm happy to report it was still in very good shape.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
got a chardonnay the guy at the store recommended to go with the stone crabs tomorrow. other than that i'm as dry as the fucking desert. not all of us have as charmed a life as you do.
Because we can afford more alcohol? I had 4 shots of Jack this afternoon.

Plus my white tomorrow is Relax. It's one of those go down like water Rieslings, but women like it so I keep picking it and it was recommended to me by a woman.

Or this is the capacity to process alcohol?

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I actually got a lot of three from a collector at auction as a gift for my mom as it's her favorite wine. The corks did look a little iffy which made me nervous but I'm happy to report it was still in very good shape.
I have a 1996 something something. The last time someone on the Internet drank it was 5 years ago and he said it was a few years past when it was its best. I'm a little leery to open it.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
I have a 1996 something something. The last time someone on the Internet drank it was 5 years ago and he said it was a few years past when it was its best. I'm a little leery to open it.
Depends on the specific wine and how it has been cellared or not. Also the corks go after so long and ideally should be replaced.

A wine merchant near me in Delft gets lots of ancient wines in job lots from collectors who can't prove the provenance of the cellaring. So you can get reasonable good wines from the early 1990s and late 80s for about 10 Euros. I've had a Chateau Cos from 76 which was very reasonable priced and very drinkable.

Mainly Bordeaux's for me this Christmas and on the hard stuff: Glenmorangie and Glenfiddich 18 year old expressions with Martell Cordon Bleu cognac for after dinner.

Kingstonian

Ratings
Ten year old Glenmorangie for me. £25 Sainsbury. Sound.

Tesco 1997 vintage port (symington) £20. Morrison 10 year old Tawny port £10, Dow Traders Reserve Port £7.

Waitrose Palo Cortado sherry, Lidl cheap champagne. That really Christmassy and childish cheaBaileys knockoff from the German discounters. Czech starpromen beer.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
Red: Chateau Pipeau 2012 Grand Cru St Emilion

White: Relax Riesling, Mosel

Sparkling: Moet NV - I wanted to get vintage at duty free in Europe if I wasn't sitting in the back. Some backup bottles of cremant if I run out. Bloody females who marry into this family only touch sparkling if it is a popular French one.

Brown: Glenfiddich X - was a gift from my ex staffer. Johnie Walker Gold. Reckon I have leftover Courvousier XO from last year.

Beer: paulaner weissbier. Trappist ale. 1 each for that one bloke who won't drink anything.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Ratings
If you can't truly know the provenance, it's an utter crap shoot. That goes for reviews too, who knows what that other guy was drinking.

What 1996 is it? Most wines just won't live that long.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
If you can't truly know the provenance, it's an utter crap shoot. That goes for reviews too, who knows what that other guy was drinking.

What 1996 is it? Most wines just won't live that long.
Last time I saw someone mention it was a decade ago so even longer back.
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=171783

This is from my parents' basement so not a proper cellar. Laid flat. It was moved from one corner of the basement to another - mostly dark. I poured out at least 30 bottles of other wines in their 'collection' where I saw sediment, it was white, or it was below $40 in the first place. They bought a case of these in the 1990s and gave bottles away as gifts. This was the last one.

I've never had bad wine so I may not know unless it's rancid. I've been known to eat diced tofu gone bad in Thai stir fry and not know.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Ratings
Last time I saw someone mention it was a decade ago so even longer back.
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=171783

This is from my parents' basement so not a proper cellar. Laid flat. It was moved from one corner of the basement to another - mostly dark. I poured out at least 30 bottles of other wines in their 'collection' where I saw sediment, it was white, or it was below $40 in the first place. They bought a case of these in the 1990s and gave bottles away as gifts. This was the last one.

I've never had bad wine so I may not know unless it's rancid. I've been known to eat diced tofu gone bad in Thai stir fry and not know.
Well, it's a cab, so it's got a better chance of being a long term wine. If the consensus is drink by '20, you probably should give it a go.

Generally over aged wine is kind of flat and cardboard like. If its actually bad bad, its straight vinegar.

It sounds like the only variable is what temperature the basement was and if the wine was decent to start with.

fxh

OG Party Suit Wearer
Supporter
Ratings
Well, it's a cab, so it's got a better chance of being a long term wine. If the consensus is drink by '20, you probably should give it a go.

Generally over aged wine is kind of flat and cardboard like. If its actually bad bad, its straight vinegar.

It sounds like the only variable is what temperature the basement was and if the wine was decent to start with.
As doggie says. Theres a lot of bullshit talked about wine. If its off you'll know - it doesn't take 10 minutes of swishing around in a fucking glass in a restaurant and sniffing it like a hunting dog. And even then lots of people drink vinegar, cook with it and have it on salads - it wont kill you.

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
I haven't been to this Irish sports bar since I switched jobs at the end of October. Two months later I walk in on a busy New Year's Eve and the bartender (the new Irish chap, not even the more tenured ones) sees me and hands me a pinot grigio without me ordering.

doghouse

King Of The Elite Idiots
Supporter
Ratings
I haven't been to this Irish sports bar since I switched jobs at the end of October. Two months later I walk in on a busy New Year's Eve and the bartender (the new Irish chap, not even the more tenured ones) sees me and hands me a pinot grigio without me ordering.
Your reputation precedes you

Fwiffo

Supporter
Ratings
When I was moving I called in a professional cleaner. As she did her job my mate and I went down to a sports bar and did 3 pints Guinness for him, 3 double Appleton for me. When I got a pint of local brew and the bartender offered a pint of Stella after that because it was poured incorrectly. We had another round after that.

Kingstonian

Ratings
Fullers Brewing just sold to Japanese.

Was in Ye Olde Mitre a few days ago. Fantastic pub with discounts available on ales and decent guest beers. Good landlady. Intended to start using it more regularly again. Same applies to The Harp. Hope the good pubs are not damaged by this. Used to be the nearest pub to my office.
https://www.yeoldemitreholborn.co.uk/#

Kingstonian

Ratings
Off to a whisky tasting tonight. Glen Grant. Jim Murray of The whisky Bible fame is one of the hosts.

Sensibly priced. I refuse to go to some tastings as they are just not worth it.

Kingstonian

Ratings
The whisky tasting was excellent. Jim Murray says Glen Grant is currently the best Scotch available and one of the samples we tried was his second favourite in ‘the whisky bible 2019’. He does not do many events but he did this one because it was Glen Grant.

We went through his ‘Murray method’ for nosing whisky (I did not get on with it) and he was entertaining and informative host. Glen Grant used to mostly go into Chivas Regal blend with just a 10 year old malt offering in the UK. However, a five year old was the number one malt in Italy with massive sales.

I think whisky fans like Pimpernel Smith would have enjoyed the evening. Then had a couple of pints in Fullers pub The Harp. We got chatting to some ladies who had been to the Catherine Tate show and for some reason thought we were there too. A carrier bag containing whisky stuff proved otherwise.

Pimpernel Smith

Ratings
Fullers Brewing just sold to Japanese.
Was surprised at the price, a couple of hundred million seemed a small fee for a brewery of the that renown. Although the size of Fullers is small compared to say the mass refinery sized brew chem factories of Bass.

The whisky tasting was excellent. Jim Murray says Glen Grant is currently the best Scotch available and one of the samples we tried was his second favourite in ‘the whisky bible 2019’. He does not do many events but he did this one because it was Glen Grant.

We went through his ‘Murray method’ for nosing whisky (I did not get on with it) and he was entertaining and informative host. Glen Grant used to mostly go into Chivas Regal blend with just a 10 year old malt offering in the UK. However, a five year old was the number one malt in Italy with massive sales.

I think whisky fans like Pimpernel Smith would have enjoyed the evening. Then had a couple of pints in Fullers pub The Harp. We got chatting to some ladies who had been to the Catherine Tate show and for some reason thought we were there too. A carrier bag containing whisky stuff proved otherwise.
Glen Grant was pretty much an ignored distillery amongst whisky aficionados awhile back. Of all the ancient bottlings, I noted Glen Grant was by far the most cost effective. I'm going to get a bottle today on the strength of that recommendation.

It's been sometime since I've had my whisky connoisseur hat on and haven't watched a Ralfy malt maniac review for years. Had two bottles in over Christmas and New Year, both 20 year old expressions: Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie. Both disappointed somewhat. The Glenmorangie remaines a whisky you'd give to your granny and the Glenfiddich was just average and not distinguished.

Kingstonian

Ratings
I visited Glenfiddich in the early 1980s. Never a whisky I particularly liked. Glenmorangie on the other hand I find to be sound and also excellent value.

Top Bottom