It's always five o'clock somewhere

Rick’s place. A proper old school boozer. Back street location so you have to know about it before you visit

He has football on lots of screens - but he also has great ales free of the pub co tie.

The garden has been transformed during the pandemic; the inside could do with a makeover now.

It's been eleventy billion degrees here so I've actually laid of the negroni for a minute and mixed up some Aperol Spritzs

20210714_171838.jpg

Rick’s place. A proper old school boozer. Back street location so you have to know about it before you visit

He has football on lots of screens - but he also has great ales free of the pub co tie.

The garden has been transformed during the pandemic; the inside could do with a makeover now.

I do love those old small boozers tucked away.

I do love those old small boozers tucked away.
Did you ever go to the The Albion just within the walls in Chester, with the WWI theme?

Famous for being anti-family with kids and race goers. It's a pub that would never get over crowded, not on my regular Thursday and weekend excursions, but you would end up in a couple of times a year, or someone would have a refined function in the back room.

Did you ever go to the The Albion just within the walls in Chester, with the WWI theme?

Famous for being anti-family with kids and race goers. It's a pub that would never get over crowded, not on my regular Thursday and weekend excursions, but you would end up in a couple of times a year, or someone would have a refined function in the back room.
Yes, at the side of the Roman Garden there's a doorway that leads to it. The landlord was a bit of an arsehole IMO.

Yes, at the side of the Roman Garden there's a doorway that leads to it. The landlord was a bit of an arsehole IMO.
I got that impression too, and he's still there, been running the place for the last 30 odd years. It wasn't a place you could over indulge in.

Never took to Dixie Dean's ex-place, The Dublin Packet either. Miserable as sin. Watergates use to be good, down in the crypt.

I got that impression too, and he's still there, been running the place for the last 30 odd years. It wasn't a place you could over indulge in.

Never took to Dixie Dean's ex-place, The Dublin Packet either. Miserable as sin. Watergates use to be good, down in the crypt.
Both of those are still going. I use to like going to The Falcon too.

1626368908286.png

Both of those are still going. I use to like going to The Falcon too.
The Falcon was good, use to have the Pilsner from Samuel Smith that had a German name.

A bit lower down from there you had The Cross Keys and across the road or there abouts Clavertons which was one of our starting pubs in the late 80s and like the rest of Lower Bridge Street is now an estate agents.

Edit: do you remember 60's by the Cathedral? The manager use to be into rare groove and was the first place I heard JTQ's Starsky and Hutch theme. They use to have video screens at one end of the pub which they had MTV on, but they didn't have a license to play the music, so they just played their own stuff. Sounds a bit naff, but it was actually a decent pub/wine bar vibe.

The Falcon was good, use to have the Pilsner from Samuel Smith that had a German name.

A bit lower down from there you had The Cross Keys and across the road or there abouts Clavertons which was one of our starting pubs in the late 80s and like the rest of Lower Bridge Street is now an estate agents.
Ye Old Kings Head is another pub down there and there's also a Brewery Tap. There are a couple of nice pubs on the opposite side of the bridge (Handbridge) also. Chester is full of good boozers and bars...

Liverpool takes some beating though.

Edit: do you remember 60's by the Cathedral? The manager use to be into rare groove and was the first place I heard JTQ's Starsky and Hutch theme. They use to have video screens at one end of the pub which they had MTV on, but they didn't have a license to play the music, so they just played their own stuff. Sounds a bit naff, but it was actually a decent pub/wine bar vibe.
Don't remember it. Whereabouts were it? Near St Werburgh Row?

Don't remember it. Whereabouts were it? Near St Werburgh Row?
Correct, it's been long gone now. Well over 20+ years.

The problem with Liverpool for us was always getting back late at night. Getting a taxi to go through the tunnel and home for a reasonable price, or one that would take you. Then we found a solution which was to get a Liverpool taxi to Hamilton Square and then get a Birkenhead taxi from the taxi rank who were more inclined for the woolly back business.

Flanagan's was good in Liverpool and then around 93/94 you had Bourbon Street and another club right next to it that focused on Acid Jazz. But the best for that was Telford's Warehouse in Chester which was Friday night live Acid Jazz night.

Happy days, all long gone now.

Correct, it's been long gone now. Well over 20+ years.

The problem with Liverpool for us was always getting back late at night. Getting a taxi to go through the tunnel and home for a reasonable price, or one that would take you. Then we found a solution which was to get a Liverpool taxi to Hamilton Square and then get a Birkenhead taxi from the taxi rank who were more inclined for the woolly back business.

Flanagan's was good in Liverpool and then around 93/94 you had Bourbon Street and another club right next to it that focused on Acid Jazz. But the best for that was Telford's Warehouse in Chester which was Friday night live Acid Jazz night.

Happy days, all long gone now.
God, there are/were so many pubs and bars in Liverpool it is impossible to remember them all. Flanagan's Apple is still open (or was last time I was there) don't know if they still do music in the cellar though.

The Grapes opposite was shut though.

I prefer Manchester pubs to Liverpool’s. Lots of inexpensive drinking from Holts, Hydes etc. establishments. Tougher competition for Wetherspoon in that city.

Baltic Fleet in Liverpool is nice with the docks having been revamped.

I prefer Manchester pubs to Liverpool’s. Lots of inexpensive drinking from Holts, Hydes etc. establishments. Tougher competition for Wetherspoon in that city.

Baltic Fleet in Liverpool is nice with the docks having been revamped.
Pretty much frequented the two cities, well, apart from my regular home turf, Chester.

Other than the theatre district, I think Liverpool was a better night out in general. And it's a lot better now I hear. I've had some good nights out in Manchester especially when staying over in the Lowry Hotel.

The Gay Village was something else, not camp, but as hard as nails.

I remember being in the Dutch Pancake House in the centre of Manchester one bleak Sunday afternoon around 93/94 and outside the centre was empty except for some dude freaky walking around in a seemingly random fashion, doubling back and then going forward. One of my muccas had worked in New York in the medical profession and he said ''See that guy, he's got late AIDS. You see that all the time in New York...''

The two cities are similar in many ways, including the great redevelopment of the two docks. And yet they're completely different.

I had to send a pint back yesterday in Spoons - Exmoor Gold. They were very decent about it, as Spoons usually are. I assume this ale would sell OK during Summer and it was just the end of the barrel.

I had to send a pint of Nethergate back in Epsom Spoons last month, but it was a dark beer that may not have sold well.

Pretty much frequented the two cities, well, apart from my regular home turf, Chester.

Other than the theatre district, I think Liverpool was a better night out in general. And it's a lot better now I hear. I've had some good nights out in Manchester especially when staying over in the Lowry Hotel.

The Gay Village was something else, not camp, but as hard as nails.

I remember being in the Dutch Pancake House in the centre of Manchester one bleak Sunday afternoon around 93/94 and outside the centre was empty except for some dude freaky walking around in a seemingly random fashion, doubling back and then going forward. One of my muccas had worked in New York in the medical profession and he said ''See that guy, he's got late AIDS. You see that all the time in New York...''

The two cities are similar in many ways, including the great redevelopment of the two docks. And yet they're completely different.
Manchester used to be more spread out. Some very rough places around Ancoats...Changed beyond recognition after the IRA bomb in the mid-nineties. Tons of money poured into the place...

Manchester used to be more spread out. Some very rough places around Ancoats...Changed beyond recognition after the IRA bomb in the mid-nineties. Tons of money poured into the place...
The theatre that got blown up in the bomb was some hexagon sphere modernist nightmare with seats to match. A couple of months before the bomb was there for a production of Shakespeare's Julius Ceasar. It was that uncomfortable only stayed for the first act and that was way too long.

Early on the 90s went to the so called famous Curry Mile in Rusholme. I'd been used to very decent Indian restaurants by that time, I was surprised at the number of restaurants and having picked one of the most decent looking ones, was further at the poor quality of the food and service never again. It seemed completely frequented by poor students. Never a good sign for foodies.

The theatre that got blown up in the bomb was some hexagon sphere modernist nightmare with seats to match. A couple of months before the bomb was there for a production of Shakespeare's Julius Ceasar. It was that uncomfortable only stayed for the first act and that was way too long.

Early on the 90s went to the so called famous Curry Mile in Rusholme. I'd been used to very decent Indian restaurants by that time, I was surprised at the number of restaurants and having picked one of the most decent looking ones, was further at the poor quality of the food and service never again. It seemed completely frequented by poor students. Never a good sign for foodies.
I think the theatre you're referring to is housed in the Royal Exchange building. The building was damaged but not destroyed.

1626720306131.png

Never been to the curry mile as I'm not really a curry aficionado. One after a night on the piss and that's about it.

I used to like The Express Tavern in the days when it was Gods Waiting Room.

It never used to open until 6pm on a Saturday!

When you went in there was an old Irish fellow reading The Racing Post in the bar on the left on not many others.The public bar was usually very quiet.

They did have a decent pint of Bass and Young’s and another guest beer. Teenagers manned the bar, while the owners were upstairs watching telly. I recall the guvnor was telling a customer from a narrow boat in a nearby mooring that there was no money in the pub game any more and they could not wait to retire to Scotland after several decades running the pub. His Mrs.was a strange one too.

Then it got taken over by Big Smoke, a newer local brewery on the up. Ten ales were put on in the public bar. I never used to go in there. I could see what was on from the chalk board in the saloon. Now the place is rammed. They have people in the garden which was just unused space. Heaters were installed there. Now there is a big canopy over the garden like a circus big top. They have stopped doing cards which were stamped so you got a free pint after buying nine. Apparently this is post covid and applies in all Big Smoke pubs.

I need to rethink my pub choices.

Was at the whisky store today, but nothing got me excited so got these rums:

Above is from the St Catherine distillery and the 2015 release. 57%.

The 7 year old is wapping 61.2% cask strength. 2018 release.

Haven't tried any yet, will give the white ago before dinner on Sunday. Was tempted by the new Panama 18 year old, but only because of the bottle, so decided to give it a miss.

They had Pussers Select Aged 151, never seen that before, 75.5% called BS on that. You'd have to turn that into a serious long drink.

Beads of sweat...
After I had posted that yesterday, decided I would have a night cap of the Jamaican 7 year old. Had already had a Cognac, so had a very small, well under half a nip and topped up with the same amount of water. Cask strength it was full of unbridled taste and a buzz. Slept magnicently.

Tonight had the white pot still before dinner and now after dinner with a the new improved Cola Zero and it is excellent, but you wouldn't want too many. Very rich, but in a good way.

Meanwhile, couldn't even get to the payment page on the South African wines website. Sent them a message to say the website was messed up and the guy I deal with phones me on a Sunday to tell me they will process it manually and by the way he's leaving. Bollocks to that, so instead I've bought 50% of my wine needs for the month from some premium Australian wine website for the Netherlands. We'll see how that goes. I'll get the rest from them tomorrow in person i.e. enough I can carry from their pedestrianesed shop back to the car i.e. 4-6 bottles.

Was at the whisky store today, but nothing got me excited so got these rums:

Above is from the St Catherine distillery and the 2015 release. 57%.

The 7 year old is wapping 61.2% cask strength. 2018 release.

Haven't tried any yet, will give the white ago before dinner on Sunday. Was tempted by the new Panama 18 year old, but only because of the bottle, so decided to give it a miss.

They had Pussers Select Aged 151, never seen that before, 75.5% called BS on that. You'd have to turn that into a serious long drink.
Rum Nation always has some good stuff

Sean Lock. Hobbies used to be a luxury for many working people. Little time or energy. So when opportunity arose skiving and binge drinking would look attractive.

Rum Nation always has some good stuff
They're much better than the Plantation brand rums which are rather bland in comparison. Both companies age and bottle rums in Europe. Similar process, but different results.

Going to get Rum Nation's Reunion later this week:

Reunion-7yo-Cask-Strenght-60-5-NAT78-HD.jpg

I had a beer before 11am today. It was only 4.2% so I didn't feel anything. I might have to start a tradition because - why not - I'm working at home.

I missed my chance today anyway. Was on hold for a bit and by the time that was over a number of things came up for me to do. So much for starting a new ritual. Maybe I'll open a beer this evening.

My ex-brother-in-law at the weekends, use to think of nothing of starting drinking bottles of lager at 10am before mowing the lawn. He use to get up early, 5:30am every day.

Quite a few times during the lockdowns, I was waking 2am-3am with a sense of urgency and then getting into the early editions with a drink(s) G&T's and then going back to bed 4am or 5am. Don't feel the need for that now. The sense of crisis and the proverbial hitting the fan is over.

The kids wanted hot dogs for dinner so I bought a six pack of lager to try cooking them in beer. Two cans were enough for the pot, so I drank the rest.

The kids wanted hot dogs for dinner so I bought a six pack of lager to try cooking them in beer. Two cans were enough for the pot, so I drank the rest.

Does that mean you’re not on call tonight?

Funny you should say that, the dude to my left pounded four Stella's in like 10 minutes

Funny you should say that, the dude to my left pounded four Stella's in like 10 minutes

If you were going to pound 4 alcohol units in 10 minutes why not pour four fingers of hard liquor? I never understood the infatuation with downing endless pints unless it was in a pub.

If you were going to pound 4 alcohol units in 10 minutes why not pour four fingers of hard liquor? I never understood the infatuation with downing endless pints unless it was in a pub.
I mean you are preaching to the choir here fwiffs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom